• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Go big or go home - with photos

Edis06

So, some of you wanted photos and remembered to snap a few on the way into the office this morning. The resto is coming along great and when I get the new top, curtain, and brown bucket seats, I'll be sure to post the updates as well.

So far, I have replaced so many parts, I can't count. However, I devoted this past weekend to the sound system. With so many units having the soundbars, I decided to go with WetSounds. Love the bluetooth capability and the ability to send the remote signal to other amps/speakers. I was however disappointed in two areas: 1. The soundbar lacks highs. I need screaming highs to overcome the cabin noise, and 2. the largest sub they make is a 10. I don't think so. This is a HMMWV, the king of roadworthy intimidation and I couldn't stand the thought of putting in the same sized sub found in a Lexus sedan. So, I went with a 500w RMS 15. Problem solved. The highs, as suspected, were lacking, so I added an additional 400w amp to power aftermarket semidomes mounted on an eyeball standoff. Once balanced out, this system proved to be insane. You can give it full power with zero audible distortion.

All this is drawing 13.5 volts from two tandem Orion converters with plenty of amperes to spare for additional accessories.

HMMWV Driver Rear.jpgHMMWV Pass Front.jpgHMMWV Sound Bar 2.jpgHMMWV Sound Bar.jpgHMMWV Tweet.jpgHMMWV Sub.jpgHMMWV Sub 2.jpg

Daves86

Nice looking Rig! Stereo is a clean install as well. What mode of music? I'm thinking the rig would sound wrong blaring fusion Jazz.

DREDnot

Normally I wouldnt read/comment on stereo system discussions but your install is remarkably clean and military looking.
If you painted it all matching CARC green it would be perfect! The unit on the doghouse looks like something the military would install

Edis06

Nice looking Rig! Stereo is a clean install as well. What mode of music? I'm thinking the rig would sound wrong blaring fusion Jazz.
You are correct. I listen to fairly modern stuff, some EDM, some hip hop. Normally I despise the idea hearing vibrating bass arriving 15 minutes before the car, but somehow with a camo Humvee it almost makes sense lol

Edis06

HMMWV E Brake.jpg

I almost forgot to show off my shiny new e-brake I installed as well. The old one was rusted beyond recognition. You'll also notice the rear tunnel board is something I made myself out of the same thickness plywood as the forward piece. I was able to order this new forward tunnel insulation board but the rear I simply couldn't find anywhere.

The speaker box is a "Q-Bomb" prefab sealed enclosure which comes rhinolined, which makes it water-repellent. I simply gave it a coat of Rapco 383 and viola! I also added some insulation to the interior walls of the box and screwed it to the wood panel beneath. The grill was bought online, which I purchased to match as closely as possible to the metal grilles on the other speakers.

The dual Orion converters power the 250W rms sound bar, the 500W rms mono sub amp (Kenwood) and a 200W rms stereo amp (Kenwood) for the tweeters. All run though a 6 Ferhat capacitor, which I connected just to stabilize draw on the converters. All the electronics are tucked away underneath the passenger seat, with the exception of the converters, which are in the battery compartment. All connections are soldered and ring connected - no bare wires here.

I plan on sealing off the electronics by flex-taping the drain holes and coating the compartments with Dynamat.

Next up:

4 tan bucket seats
New top and curtain (once they are in stock again - manufacturers are back ordered until next month)
Red-Dot A/C

Edis06

Normally I wouldnt read/comment on stereo system discussions but your install is remarkably clean and military looking.
If you painted it all matching CARC green it would be perfect! The unit on the doghouse looks like something the military would install
Thank you very much! This is exactly what I am aiming for - I want to keep it as "official" looking as possible but add some outrageous customizations that don't distract from the military pedigree. I was planning on painting the speaker grilles as well but I am waiting until I decide on the seats. An additional idea was to build a locking gun rack in the remaining tunnel space (in front of the speaker) to keep my M4 commando, which has a M203-style launcher attached. Unfortunately, it's registered as a pistol due to the short barrel and that is borderline legal in plain sight. If it was a rifle, no sweat. So, I still haven't decided what to do with that space. Ideas please!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks