• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goat engine alternate starter

cb88

I have a gama goat engine (saved from sawmill duty) that I intend to put back on the road in a CUCV or similar once I get it restored.

That said the starter that is on it is shot (busted solenoid , missing cap from then end), and this would be a good opportunity to convert it to 12V. I'm thinking a 7kW starter is way oversized for this engine but if anyone else has swapped a starter or converted thier stock starter to 12V I'd like to hear about it. I'd like to hear that those 2.7kW gear reduction starters on ebay would work... but if that isn't the case let me know!

I'm in NC so it doesn't usually get super cold here ... just occasionally down in the teens.

Jericho

Solinoid is available from Equipment Sales on Flea bay used to be around 29$ ,easy to change with the starter on . I don't know of any suitable 12 volt starters, BUT, the same engine with an iron block was used on some logging skidders, Tree Farmer brand seems to ring a bell. and many were 12 volt.The bell housing is the question , the fly wheel and trany at all GM

cb88

Solinoid is available from Equipment Sales on Flea bay used to be around 29$ ,easy to change with the starter on . I don't know of any suitable 12 volt starters, BUT, the same engine with an iron block was used on some logging skidders, Tree Farmer brand seems to ring a bell. and many were 12 volt.The bell housing is the question , the fly wheel and trany at all GM
Yes that is what I thought... it should be a matter of just making sure the starter gear has the right number of teeth... since it is the bell housing's job to align the starter with the flywheel.

I've seen the starter turn over before but... the housing on the solenoid busted after I got it home which is a shame. That said I really don't want a 24V system... but dropping to 12V by modifying the stock starter woud half the output... and I'm not sure if that will work or not.

Jericho

Good question, I run two 990 CCA batteries in series to get the 24 volt, I can tell you they spin the 353 over at a good clip , but , when its cold here 0 to 50 below, it drains them fast. Just run a 24 volt start circuit for the starter only if you cant find a 12 volt, BUT, you can have the starter rebuilt to 12 volt at a competent starter shop as well, last one I had done ran me 130$

cb88

I ended up picking up a Masco gear reduction 12v starter. It's more expensive but I am also very happy with it so far.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks