• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goes all over the road only when wet

Skippy45

I think I know what causes it, and how to fix it, but before I spend the money I want to check with everyone to see if I am right or wrong.

I have a 1988. When it is dry out it runs fine. Had it up to around 55 mph with no real problems. Now any time the road is even a little bit damp any speed over 25-30mph is like driving on ice. It scares the crap out of me. I have drove on ice, that is why I now live in Florida. Now I figure my HMMWV needs a 4 wheel alignment. It feels like 1st the right rear wheel is grabbing the road, then the left wheel is making the back end slide around. I talked to the local chevy dealer about aligning it .. Not cheap, but at least they said they could do it. I talked to couple of other shops and they said no way. Am I missing anything? is there another way to do it that does not cost an arm and a leg (lol). :p

AndyC

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I know what causes it, and how to fix it, but before I spend the money I want to check with everyone to see if I am right or wrong.

I have a 1988. When it is dry out it runs fine. Had it up to around 55 mph with no real problems. Now any time the road is even a little bit damp any speed over 25-30mph is like driving on ice. It scares the crap out of me. I have drove on ice, that is why I now live in Florida. Now I figure my HMMWV needs a 4 wheel alignment. It feels like 1st the right rear wheel is grabbing the road, then the left wheel is making the back end slide around. I talked to the local chevy dealer about aligning it .. Not cheap, but at least they said they could do it. I talked to couple of other shops and they said no way. Am I missing anything? is there another way to do it that does not cost an arm and a leg (lol). :p
1st check the toe in front and rear axles . easy with a tape measurer. The front width between the tires should be about an 1/8" narrower than the rear width of the tires.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it an "on road" humvee, or and "off road" humvee?

Are all the wheel bearings and suspension in good order?

Action

To align, you measure, then take apart suspension, add or remove shims, put suspension back together, measure, take apart suspension, add or remove shims, put suspensionback together, measure, repeat as necessary.
are your tires bald?

Skippy45

Sorry about that.. I am running 37s . Tires are in good shape. Got rid of the dry rotted one, the one with the bent rim etc. It is an on-road HMMWV. The rear tires look like the toe is off.. between the front and back.. the right side rear points more in than the left. Just by eye balling it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you had a bent rim, I'd look at that corner for suspension damage.

Skippy45

The suspension looks fine. Replaced the geared hub output seals on the rear and did not notice anything damaged. The bent rim was only a tiny bit bent and to be honest I can't remember it if it came with this HMMWV , my trailer or the 1st HMMWV I owned (long story there. Gov Planet could not get a Title so they took it back and gave me a refund). Thanks for all the replys..

86m1028

Then you pretty much answered your own question.
Look your suspension (all 4 corners) over really well.
Check bushings & ball joints & get a 4 wheel alignment done.

Behr

Do you have radials or bias tires? I need to upgrade to radials as my bias tires do the same thing your describing. Feels like I'm riding on jello a bit and will grab any little line in the road and pull me around especially when wet.

Skippy45

Radials.. I was just checking to make sure there was not another known problem to cause this.. 1st military truck and it has been 20+ years since I was in the Army. (and helo mech to boot)

Skippy45

Thanks for all the help/replies. I spent some quality time with the TM last night . Going to tackle it on sat. Sprayed some penetrating oil on it a few days ago, so hopefully no problems adjusting it.. Thanks again.

Now all I have to figure out is how to get my picture part of my profile ..lol;)

Last edited: