• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going after my Deuce next week

Ma Duce

Well I won a duece out of McCoy and I'm going up Wednesday to get her.

Gonna help Monica's dad pick some other stuff out if this all works and should be an interesting ride home, slow and a bit longer, but interesting.

As soon as I get her home, I need to start looking for parts for the bobber project. as I hope to get it done in January when I have some time. And it has a bad heater core inthe cab, so I'll have to fix that.

got the pics to load as I am still getting use to a new computer. . .

Attachments

Last edited:

Ma Duce

Mark needed a hand bringing back a A3 and two other trailers a few weeks ago. This auction had not taken place, and we thought it a good time to look over the trucks since they all said towed onto lot.

WE got his duece fired up as it truned right over, and then used it to try and jump all the trucks in that auction and take notes. I worked on getting them started, Mark did the walk around. This one fired right up with a jump and our inspection said it was worth bidding on.

Its been 10 years since I left the military and it was coming back to me, but we never had the A3s. But I did spend some time in a 900 series. I can't rember the 900 expandovan number, but since I was an equipment operator, I liked to drive all kinds of stuff I was one of the few guys to get licensed for it.

But we tried to jump all the trucks and got good notes on them. 1 had an air leak from the tanks under the bed, I was PMing some guys here about. a couple would not start with a jump. One looked like it had been flipped on both sides but not completely rolled.

I paid more than what I wanted to, but Mark was right about where he thought the bidding would go and we had a plan and stuck with it. I ended up winning the truck.

The ride home with his other stuff was a bit interesting as we hooked a trailed up to the duece and put another one on the trailer behind the dodge we drove up in.

I then drove the Duece most of the way home. I'm sure after this drive, my interest in a 900 series 5 ton will be increased.

His new truck had a shimming/violent shake in the right front that was intermitent. It would be there for 30 seconds, then go away for a few mintes. At times I felt like I was on one of those weight loss machines with a a belt than runs around you backside.

A bucket of water and some soap and I could have done laundry on the way home.

Anyways, This was one of the trucks that madeit onto our final list to bid on, for trucks that said towed onto lot, they seemed to go a bit high, but that is life.

So Wednesday, I and a merry crew of missfits will be making a trek up to McCoy to grab this one, and 3 other trailers Mark bought including a semi-trailer.

Since he is 2 hours west from me, we are going to try and meet up at McCoy, load up and make the run home.

BTW Mark is Monica's father, and the guy who has the motor pool pics I've posted. he has been a great asset and help in beginning this dive into the green affliction. By last count he had over 24 trucks.

If anyone else won one of the trucks on this auction from McCoy, let me know and I'll tell you what our notes siad about the trucks. As this truck is headed to be a bobber, I will have a many questions about certain aspecs about the project.

I've already decded to go with front leaf springs for the rear axel and i want to line up parts soon, so I can start on it over the Christmas break. After January, I hit the road for several months. and time will be short for extra projects.

Now I just have to see if my health and welfare plan will cover this this disease,I wonder what the co-pay would be? ?

Last edited:

camp9

I'll be in there tuesday to get a trailer. If you bump up your day to recover it let me know and I can give you a hand if you need it.

Ma Duce

would love to, but my schedule and that of my missfits doesn't allow it. If something goes wrong, we don't have to take a second day off of work to deal with it.

But thanks for the offer.

camp9

The boys just told me they don't have school Wednesday, so maybe we'll make a family day of it and see you there. I'll call monday and see how booked they are for wednesday.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW... Unless the GL anti-rust cameras are working extremely well, I can't even see any rust on the wheel studs! That looks sweet! Only thing missing is the winch.... :)

What'd you pay if you don't mind? I paid $4900 for mine and it has rusty roof.

Ma Duce

$4550 plus the fees.

here is the link tot he auction:

Demil Q Industrial, Marine, Vehicular & Aerospace Ground Support Equipment at Government Liquidation

WE saw the 109s that just went up and they looked to be in really good shape. And wouldn't you know it, Mark called today and said he bought the one that didn't have reverse. I might be towing it home....

If this doesn't turn into a comedy of errors, it might be something to write home about, so now we have a duece, a 109, two trailers of some sort and a semi-trailer to drag home with a 915. Mark is gonna run up with his P/U and trailer, we'll take the 915 and my buddies shop truck from here and meet at McCoy.

Then start sorting it all out from there.

I'm also gonna look at the 5 tons sitting in the lot. The guys up there said they try to keep a reasonable number of item on the auctions, and they held up the 109s to try and put them in one auction.

They do seem to get some better looking trucks running through there.

And I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but I bought a truck item # 7405. My buddy, not Mark, just bought a 109 in the last auction and it was 7405. As I look back and at some future auctions I notice all the trucks at McCoy run from 7400 to 74xx. Huntsville trucks are in the 3900s so I think that each site has it's own series of numbers assigned to it and you can tell where the truck is just by looking at the item number. Just a hunch.

"Maybe Gimp took it on a test drive? "

Don't know gimpy. His reputation preeceeds him but until I have a chance to meet him I will reserve judgement. . .

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good deal! Hope it's not a nightmare for you and the other guys. I don't like the sound of attempts were made to jump the truck unsuccessfully, but that could mean the batteries are just flat out dead too. You'll probably end up with a good one with two new batteries. I'm hoping anyway. Good luck! If you were going the other way I'd be ready to help.

Ma Duce

The truck jumped just fine and fired right up. It was a couple of others that were not so great. We slaved one, then as I flipped the master the buzzer came on and nothing with the starter -- except a very LARGE cloud of smoke fromunder the hood that had me reaching for a fire extiguisher. No fire started, but the Apache in the Dakotas would have seen that.

Some started with a jump, some didn't even turn over. One started but had an airleak in the tank. WE looked at all 10 0r 12 trucks and worked at jumping all but one -- 7400 which some have claimed was test driven by Gimpy.

Camp -- drop me a PM and I'll try to keep up with you on our schedule. we can trade cell numbers.

It will be interesting to see what they have staged up there. I plan on taking some time and lookign around.

Since they don't want us posting about upcoming auctions, If I have a chance to take some notes and pics, PM me and I'll let you know what I see.

kc2vwi

M109A4- McCoy

Hi All,

I picked up M109A4 lot 7400-

Any info you can share on her from your trip?

I am working out a recovery plan to NJ now.

Much obliged

Nick

Ma Duce

Will try to remember to take a look at it.

We'll the first part fo the trip has started...

I think we are going to call this the Excellent Adventure.....

After getting off of work yesterday I drove out to Mark's motorpool. Where he had the 915 parked and waiting for me. After a walk around and quick PMCS, topped off some fluids and fired her up.

Then a walk around the yard and we talked about tools and such. He will be driving up from his location today and we'll meet in Sparta as he is 2 hours west of me.

Seems not only do we have my duece, but his 109, two 105 trailers and his semi-trailer to bring back.

Me and my merry band of missfits will be taking off after work and heading to Sparta so we can load out at 0800 Wednesday.

Well I've never driven a 915 before so this was going to be an adventure.

Got on the road and I was surprised at how quick she was off the line bob-tailing. The speedo is off by 4-5 mph. When it reads 55 it's doing 59-60 by my GPS. But at 55 she was a pretty smooth ride.

Got it home no issues and the kids went kinds nuts when they saw me pull in. So it is staged iff we need it and now i hve to pack my truck with tools and stuff for our run tonight. Here we go. . .

added some pics of the 915 that I rode home last night....

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks