• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going down on tire size on a M932A2

Drcracer

So it seems everyone wants to go up in tire size on their 5 Ton, I get it. But, I'd actually like to go backward. And I've searched for days for an answer. So my vision is to get a M932A2 to tow a 5th wheel toy hauler that sits at 13'5". Now I can get a lower profile hitch, but I still run into the problem of tire rub on the super single if I do any off roading. I don't plan on extreme off-roading while hauling the toy hauler, but I will be going to the dunes. I was thinking of running 6 of the 365/80R20s. Is this possible? I'd like to hope that with a low profile hitch from Fontaine (5 3/8" above the deck) and the 43" tires, I might be able to keep the trailer level. If anyone can weigh in on this, I'd appreciate it.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Welcome Drcracer, rolling at 13.5 I do see what you are trying to do. Are you locked in with using a fifth wheel? Is it possible to run a rear hitch with your weight not being an issue? Just looking at options, fabricating.

Drcracer

Welcome Drcracer, rolling at 13.5 I do see what you are trying to do. Are you locked in with using a fifth wheel? Is it possible to run a rear hitch with your weight not being an issue? Just looking at options, fabricating.
Thanks for the welcome! And yes, I'm locked in with using a fifth wheel. This trailer is a beast at 42', GVWR of 20,000 lbs, and hitch weight at 3150 lbs. Sure I can stress the heck out of a 1 Ton dually, but I prefer to go safer.

I drove a M931A2 in Iraq pulling a 40' van jumping curbs in Baghdad, going off road during small arms attacks, and I loved that thing. Even with no armor I still felt safe in that thing hahaha.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
365 80s are an inch shorter than 395s. Not gaining much. There is a 345/85/20 tire but they are hard to come by at a reasonable price. 11.00-20s are 42in tall. You aren't going to get much under 44inch tall that is gonna be able to handle over 8500lb per tire.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

sweetk30

mabye a idea is build a conversion hitch for the trailer to make it pintle .

i think it was on this site 1 time i saw a goosneck trailer with hay bales that was behind a truck with pintle hitch .

he had 2 pin points at the header of the trailer and made a A-frame to clip in to them and pick up the goosneck with the ball he installed on it . this ended at a pintle ring and was able to pop it on/off easy to use pintle or gooseneck .

just a idea if you dont find what your looking for in hight needs . wish i had saved them pics .

Gunzy

11.00R20s as duals on the rear will give a much more stable ride than any super singles. They are approx. the same height as the 365s and are very abundant out there for sale with an average about $125-150 each with wheels.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your running sand, I'd stay with the singles and CTIS, if working.
Could you just go with 5th wheel to gooseneck adapter and put the ball down low, inside the frame, between the ramps? This would still allow for side flex when off road and maybe get you back far enough to clear the tires in all but extreme turns?
You could also make a removable, longer bump stop on the rear axle, to limit articulation while pulling your trailer.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a bunch of trucks out at Elephant Butte Lake used for towing fifth wheels that have the hitch mounted between the frame rails.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I converted mine from 14.00/20's to 11R24.5, it makes it a little bit shorter and slowed the top speed down about 4 mph. I like the idea of commercially available tires, plus your spare is mounted right next to the one that decided to show its insides to the outsides.

They are almost to the top of the frame rails so there is no isssues with rubbing espically when you get rid of the wobble 5th wheel.

IMG_0922[1].jpg

tobyS

The 365 won't fit your combat rims, they are considered "metric", but they are the same rev/mile as the 11.00's. I've been looking for a way to use them on the front of a 5 ton to keep flotation, but have the dual 11.00 on the rear. I'm even considering re-centering the M35A3 wheels to use on a 5 ton. My choice would be the G177's on the rear and the 365 on the front (my farm is entirely sand).

How about cutting a hole in your bed and getting the 5th wheel ball down in the frame (like the above picture but keeping the bed length)? Hinge the piece you cut out for a cover.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks