• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

going on a road trip in 85.m1010 (flat bed)

tourus

ok I have been doing a lot of research about buying coal in bulk. I want to heat with coal this winter coming (2015-2016). I live in north central Maine. I have found only one place in Maine that sells coal in bulk. They want $285.00 a ton. I figure I need 8 ton to get trough the winter. ok the place is 425 miles round trip. I figure I get 10 mile to the gallon of fuel so I would use say 40 gallons of fuel. so that would cost about $ 130 dollars round trip. for fuel plus the cost of coal. 8 ton @ 285=2280. for a total of 2410.

now I found a place in Pa. for 150 dollars a ton. but it is 1100 mile round trip. so I would use about 150 gallons of fuel .So 8 @ 150 =1200 + 357 for fuel = 1557 total . that is a savings on $ 857. but if I go to PA. I would get 10 ton. and bring it back.

I have a 18000 LBS 5 wheel flat bed trailer.

I am looking into coal due to the fact that my wood price is going up again this year to $130 a cord tree length and I go through about 20 cord that will be 2600.

so just throwing this out there to make conversation I guess . the place in Me. that sells in bulk also delivers but they want 325 a ton dropped in my yard.

tourus

OK what is the name and how much a ton . that is what I am looking at is cost per ton. the place here in Maine gets a 135 a ton trucking . so I would think that all other places are about the same.

Sergeant1983

I googled it and found this site in Cranston.
http://www.cranstoncoal.com
May want to give them a call.

Down south you can get by without heat, but I do have propane as a back up when the electric heat is not available and also found using my propane fire place a few hours every night when it's coldest saves some $'s.

In the Army we trained and did search and rescue in the Rockys Its amazing how hot the coal would burn in our tent stove. Out performed the Mogas/jet fuel mix and the wood.

dstang97

Not being a jerk but have you ever towed that much with a 6.2? Let alone a srw truck? I don't think my cummins 12v with a nv4500 could tow that much weight (srw)

cucvrus

Don't do it. That will kill that truck and maybe somebody else with that much weight. Short trip on back roads maybe. For the extra risk and the little bit of money saved. I would say let them deliver it. That is my opinion.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will be cheaper to heat your house with propane or natural gas than pay the fines for over-weight on the GCVWR of the truck .

corvette9

Let's make sure I understand. You want to tow 10 tons (20.000) LBS with an old 6.2 diesel, single wheel Chevy truck over 400 miles. First your so over wt. if you get stopped you will never be able to pay the fines. 2nd that truck will never pull that load. So be ready for a few very high tow bills. 3rd if you don't kill yourself you may kill others.

I would not pull the load that far with my crew cab Duramax dually. It may do it but I would never chance it. I would pay the fees to your door or find a real truck to make the trip with.
Just my thoughts

Brian G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks