• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going through auction 803a

Guyfang

Staff member
Ok it was only about 10 minutes to unhook and remove this thing. All the wires are marked and very easy to install or uninstall. I changed the fuel return lines and it fired right up! As I'm wiping up fuel in the bottom I find the stupid loop back plug!!! They threw it inside and it rolled to the one corner inside. The aux pump was the only one with a thermostat. It is just glued on like Guy said. All the other mods were returned to stock and it runs so I'm happy so far. I had it inside so only ran it for 5 minutes and didn't have my meter to check voltage but gen meter was showing 240v and 61Hz. As soon as I get it all back together I will get it outside and run it longer before load testing it. View attachment 713095

ALLWAYS, look inside the set. All over. In the rear, under the main gen, is "the land of lost stuff" of generator land. Whenever I needed just ONE more nut and bolt, I stuck my magnet in there to get a few.

Ok, think about this. If you had not found the plug, and didn't remove the wire harnes, how could you jump the system? Simple, ( I hope I and not talking out my buttocks) you find the wire that hooks to the S-17 wire and trace it back to the plug. Then you trace the wire that was installed on the S-17 switch, and trace it back to the plug. Jump those two pins, and I think it would have started.

smokem joe

ALLWAYS, look inside the set. All over. In the rear, under the main gen, is "the land of lost stuff" of generator land. Whenever I needed just ONE more nut and bolt, I stuck my magnet in there to get a few.

Ok, think about this. If you had not found the plug, and didn't remove the wire harnes, how could you jump the system? Simple, ( I hope I and not talking out my buttocks) you find the wire that hooks to the S-17 wire and trace it back to the plug. Then you trace the wire that was installed on the S-17 switch, and trace it back to the plug. Jump those two pins, and I think it would have started.

You got that right! I thoroughly checked the rest of the unit for anything else. And there were some screws and nuts in it of course.

If I didn't remove that harness I was going to remove the section from the stops switch and leave the rest there. Removing that would have been easier than figuring out which pins to jump! That plug had about 30 pins in it. My biggest concern was any other modifications I couldn't see in the wiring. What you said and needing a different model number made me feel better about the rest of the harness before you talked to the man in the know.

smokem joe

Unit was fired up and ran for an hour. It is producing voltage on a handheld meter, but I didn't put any sort of load on it. Next is a longer load test and stepping up the load. Ran just over 180 with 40psi on the oil according to the gauges.

jamawieb

harness.jpg
Here is an image of the wiring diagram for the monitoring system. They attached it to the lid that covers the gauges. If you wanted to keep the monitoring harness in place, just jump pin G to H for the Emergency Stop and then O to P for the DC amp gauge to work correctly. I went ahead and removed the complete harness which took about 20 minutes to take it out and replace the old diagnostic port. The diagnostic port was nicely wrapped in plastic, tucked in the back with the cap. So it was easy to put back. They also do not cut any wires, they put a small bolt through the connectors and then wrap them in heat shrink. Really easy to put back to stock.

smokem joe

View attachment 713230
Here is an image of the wiring diagram for the monitoring system. They attached it to the lid that covers the gauges. If you wanted to keep the monitoring harness in place, just jump pin G to H for the Emergency Stop and then O to P for the DC amp gauge to work correctly. I went ahead and removed the complete harness which took about 20 minutes to take it out and replace the old diagnostic port. The diagnostic port was nicely wrapped in plastic, tucked in the back with the cap. So it was easy to put back. They also do not cut any wires, they put a small bolt through the connectors and then wrap them in heat shrink. Really easy to put back to stock.
This ins't on my unit. I looked everywhere for something like this. It would have made it a little easier!

smokem joe

The only sign that is left over is, the hole in the control cube, for the wire harnes to the aux fuel tank.

And the thermostat still glued on the fuel pump. I unplugged it, but left it there for fear of damaging the pump trying to get it off. Doesn't hurt anything either way though.

smokem joe

Well today I went ahead and did the ultimate well nut repair to both well nuts. If I'm going to depend on this thing I'd like to know everything that could go wrong has been taken care of. I put aluminum screen inside the 3 mesh areas to hopefully help keep critters and bugs out once it is in its spot it will be set up for home backup. All the housing was reinstalled and it's all back in one piece ready for the extended run load test.

smokem joe

I'm thinking a cheap load bank would be a couple hot water heating elements in a 55 gallon drum with the top cut off. Anyone done this for testing purposes? I'd run them through a 2 pole switch to be able to turn each off and on and that would let me check amperage with a meter while it is running. Should I run a ground and neutral to the metal on the elements? Normally they would just be grounded in a home application. I'll ground the 803 and make sure the neutral bond is in place. Should be safe enough as long as some water goes out and new cold water comes in I would think.

csheath

Cheapest load bank would be an electric range. Won't take up more space than the 55 gal drum you are considering.

I made a fairly compact load bank using dryer elements and a 10" condenser fan. It wasn't as cheap or easy to build as a used electric range off of CL though.

m32825

Cheapest load bank would be an electric range. Won't take up more space than the 55 gal drum you are considering.
I second this suggestion. Mine cost $50, but I bet you could find one for free if you watched CL long enough. When I turn everything on it pulls 60A. Once it gets good and hot some of the elements will cycle, making the testing a little more like the real world.

-- Carl

smokem joe

I do have an oven coming in a month or so but wanting to load test this before it gets to the nasty January cold. I have empty barrels and water heating elements, so that is why I was thinking of doing it that way. The plus side to a drum is I can pick it up and store it in the rafters out of the way in between uses. I can't do that with a stove. I'd be interested in the dryer element version though!

uniquify

I started with a 55 gal barrel and a variety of water heater elements. It worked ok, but was a hassle to fill, to drain, and to store. Water and electricity seemed like an accident waiting to happen, so I've been looking for a smaller, safer alternative.

I recently switched to a pair of 240v electric heaters that my local Northern Tool had on sale. Each one has a built-in fan and 2 different heat settings. The smaller one has 3kw/5kw, and the larger one has 5kw/7.5w. They're meant to be hardwired, but I put a 30a dryer pigtail on the small one and a 50a oven pigtail on the big one. They each have a built-in thermostat (without temperature labels) that will allow them to cycle on and off.

The smaller one is plenty for 802. I can hook them both up to my 803 to give it a workout. Between them I have a variety of load sizes: 3kw, 5kw, 7.5kw, 8kw, 10kw, 12.5kw.

When I include the price of the pigtails, I've got $100 into the small one and $150 into the large one. But I also have heaters that can be used to keep my garage and shop warm, which is nice on days like this when it's -15°F.

csheath

I do have an oven coming in a month or so but wanting to load test this before it gets to the nasty January cold. I have empty barrels and water heating elements, so that is why I was thinking of doing it that way. The plus side to a drum is I can pick it up and store it in the rafters out of the way in between uses. I can't do that with a stove. I'd be interested in the dryer element version though!
Here is my thread on the dryer elements version I built.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?163190-Homemade-Load-Bank

smokem joe

I started with a 55 gal barrel and a variety of water heater elements. It worked ok, but was a hassle to fill, to drain, and to store. Water and electricity seemed like an accident waiting to happen, so I've been looking for a smaller, safer alternative.

I recently switched to a pair of 240v electric heaters that my local Northern Tool had on sale. Each one has a built-in fan and 2 different heat settings. The smaller one has 3kw/5kw, and the larger one has 5kw/7.5w. They're meant to be hardwired, but I put a 30a dryer pigtail on the small one and a 50a oven pigtail on the big one. They each have a built-in thermostat (without temperature labels) that will allow them to cycle on and off.

The smaller one is plenty for 802. I can hook them both up to my 803 to give it a workout. Between them I have a variety of load sizes: 3kw, 5kw, 7.5kw, 8kw, 10kw, 12.5kw.

When I include the price of the pigtails, I've got $100 into the small one and $150 into the large one. But I also have heaters that can be used to keep my garage and shop warm, which is nice on days like this when it's -15°F.

That's actually not a bad idea! Big box store near me stocks them as well and a little cheaper than Northern tool with shipping. Couple of the small ones with some halogen lights should create plenty of load. And it would warm the shop up in the meantime! Woodburner takes awhile to heat it on these cold days.

csheath

Those ProFusion heaters at Northern look like a good way to go. If I were doing it over I would order one of the 5000 watt and one of the 7500 watt heaters and hook them together. Both have two load settings. Looks like about $250 for the two heaters shipped to my place.

smokem joe

Those ProFusion heaters at Northern look like a good way to go. If I were doing it over I would order one of the 5000 watt and one of the 7500 watt heaters and hook them together. Both have two load settings. Looks like about $250 for the two heaters shipped to my place.
If you have a Menards near you they have they same brand and a tad bit cheaper. I think I will stop and get a couple on my way home tomorrow. uniquify had a good idea as they will heat as well as shed the load.

jamawieb

Just to give everyone fair warning, I bought 4 generators from GL in December and the ads stated motor turns. I get them in and 2 of them are hard to turn over by hand. I hit the dead crank on one of the 2 hard turners and it sounds weird so I stop because I bet water got into the exhaust and rusted. So it looks like I'll be taking the head off of 2 out of 4. There is a lot of junk coming through GL right now so be careful.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks