• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going through the Air Pack AGAIN....

I'm going have to pull the Air Pack again. Just looked through it last week and everything looked good except the walls on the wet piston which I polished before reassembly. One thing I didn't do is take out the control valve seals as I understand the TM is wrong and I thought I'd try the Air Pack with what I had done to it. I guess my question is can this little piston/valve assembly prevent the Air Pack from assisting the brake? What do I need to clean or check? This is the last thing I need to do before putting it to bed for the winter. aua

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are rubber parts that need replacement, not visual inspection.

If your not getting "assist", then I would suspect your air control valve is sticking or stuck. You can confirm this by testing the air pressure at the lube hole, while applying the brakes.

IIRC, it has a rubber ended piston or a rubber seat and that may be stuck.

I would buy a rebuild kit and replace everything. I've rebuilt quite a few and never had one not work after rebuilding.

rlwm211

The compensator valve controls the air flow to the air cannister piston. If it cannot move, there will be no air assist.

RL

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, the kits are not the same.

At one time, Monkeyboyarmy had kits available for the new style air packs.

Took the AP off and went through it again. Last time I did it, I didn't take out the control valve since I was unsure how it went back together. After reading several threads and finding a drawing of the internals I took it apart. Actually it was frozen in position and I had to force it loose. Not having a rebuild kit I cleaned everything up and honed the valve walls and reassembled it. Put it back on the truck and bleed the system and it worked. Now I have a sense of what a working brake system feels like and can easily stop the Deuce. I do plan to buy a new Air Pack and Master Cylinder and these should put everything in good order.

rrrr

Good job !

Don't forget to put a little air tool oil in your air system every once in a while. There is an access bolt/cap in the back of the brake air pack a squirt every 6 months in it as well.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Good job !

Don't forget to put a little air tool oil in your air system every once in a while. There is an access bolt/cap in the back of the brake air pack a squirt every 6 months in it as well.

Didn't read post 4 huh?

rrrr

I have the new style and there's no bolt. Guess I can undo the hose and squirt a little in it every six months or so.

That's what I recommend. Then, every 6 months, put some air tool oil in your emergency glad hand and service the air system with a compressor to try and get a little oil thorought the system. In two years I've had no issues. I also put a remote brake fluid resevoir on my brake system so its easy to check. Saved my butt once already. I put automatic water drains on my air tanks as well.

Last edited:

rrrr

None, work great for almost 2 years. No more getting under the truck to drain the tanks. My truck will hold over 50 psi after sitting for 8 hours. Got them from Eriks in California.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks