• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going through Water...

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
mine sees a fair amount of water. i make sure to check the bearings, whether its just jackin up each wheel and seein if theres freeplay, or actually taking them apart. the problem with the 2.5 ton axles is that when the outer wheel bearing goes bad, enough freeplay can come into the bearing rollers and cages to the point where the rollers fall out and then you got problems because once the bearing comes apart the hub assembly will slide over the bearing lock nuts and allow the whole wheel/hub assembly to come off the truck. i see this way to much with mud trucks that people dont service correctly. because of cost of repairs i tend to not go in water thats as high as the trans so i really cant speak about the rest of the parts but they are strong. wheel bearings cost enough for me lol

Srjeeper

[quote="Rolling_Eudaimonia] " After all it is fun to play in puddles!"

30" of water up here is called a pond not a puddle and we drive around them. :?

You southern boys sure have some strange ways. :roll:

dabtl

Last year we pulled a guy off the top of an F250 in a flood. The water debris on the radiator was at about five feet. We did not have the plug or any other device in operation at the time.

We did not seem to have any damage afterward. I do not recommend this for every day work, however.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Srjeeper said:
[quote="Rolling_Eudaimonia] " After all it is fun to play in puddles!"

30" of water up here is called a pond not a puddle and we drive around them. :?

You southern boys sure have some strange ways. :roll:
I'm from upstate NY I just happen to go U of L ... I've been though my fair share of deep water. Well a puddle is a relative term, a lake to a jetta is four inches and four inches is a shallow puddle to a M35A2...

Rolling_Eudaimonia

dabtl said:
Last year we pulled a guy off the top of an F250 in a flood. The water debris on the radiator was at about five feet. We did not have the plug or any other device in operation at the time.

We did not seem to have any damage afterward. I do not recommend this for every day work, however.
That's alot of water...

Jakob

I offered my time and truck up to a group that helps families evacuate when the Ohio valley floods out here. I've been reading up on how to make my truck water friendly in a quick way as well. Not that it'll see but MAYBE once a year, but it'd be nice to have that luxury.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

Jakob said:
I offered my time and truck up to a group that helps families evacuate when the Ohio valley floods out here. I've been reading up on how to make my truck water friendly in a quick way as well. Not that it'll see but MAYBE once a year, but it'd be nice to have that luxury.
How do you join up??? I would be interested in that and two trucks are better than one.

Rolling_Eudaimonia

MUDLORD said:
mine sees a fair amount of water. i make sure to check the bearings, whether its just jackin up each wheel and seein if theres freeplay, or actually taking them apart. the problem with the 2.5 ton axles is that when the outer wheel bearing goes bad, enough freeplay can come into the bearing rollers and cages to the point where the rollers fall out and then you got problems because once the bearing comes apart the hub assembly will slide over the bearing lock nuts and allow the whole wheel/hub assembly to come off the truck. i see this way to much with mud trucks that people dont service correctly. because of cost of repairs i tend to not go in water thats as high as the trans so i really cant speak about the rest of the parts but they are strong. wheel bearings cost enough for me lol
See that is something I don't believe in the manuals...

Hey do the lockout hubs really help?

55Cameo

The ball valve that I installed into the clutch housing is up there a pretty good amount. I also have 53" tires and that helps. But the axle is a lot lower than the valve also. I just got some fittings and a brass ball valve from Lowes and screwed them in. Just reach under there and close the valve before going into the deep stuff.

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you think a few PSI of air would work for the axles, bellhouse, etc? Be easy to do
and hopefully keep water out of everything critical like wheel bearings.

RAYZER

seems like the front axle knuckle boots are sometime the weak link when going deep. pull one of the bottom kingpin bolts and see if water drains out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks