• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going to inspect my truck, questions

98hd

I'm going to inspece the truck I won, this friday, and see if I can get it running, and test it out. I didn't do a pre inspection so I hope all goes well.

I've read the "great list" thread, but have some more questions.

Never been inside a duece before so anything you want to throw in feel free. I've read the post on turning it over w/o the power on to check for hydrolock, but any other important tips, to avoid any catastrophic events would be appreciated.

As for jumping the truck, I wondering as to how to hook it up. From what I can tell the truck runs 2 12v batt's. Are they connected + to- with the pos. cable one one batt and the neg coming off the other?

I'm planning to hook up my truck w/ jumper cables (have dual batts, 12v). I"m wondering if it would be better to hook up to just one batt on each truck, or get 2 sets of jumper cables one to each batt on each truck.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Neg on one battery goes to ground. The positive of that battery goes to the negative of the second. The positive of the second goes to the solenoid and the rest of the truck. If you want to jump start the truck, the best way is to do it from another deuce, main positive to main positive, negative to ground, no connections to the batt 1 to batt 2 jumper.

If you can't get another deuce, then you'll need two sets of jumper cables and two batteries. One can be your vehicle battery connected straight across one of the deuce's batteries (pos to pos, neg to neg), the other can be a spare battery connected across the other deuce battery (again pos to pos, neg to neg). Leave the batt 1 to batt 2 deuce jumper on.

emr

Sorry , But U got me worried, do u have any one who could go with U,That has experience with a deuce ? can u ask this list for somebody near U, This is a real truck , Im sure you are aware of that, hard to drive, alot of quirks, ALOT of things to know, U can call me any time i always answer my phone, before U go and even while u are there, i have alot of background with old trucks, and a down and dirty knowledge of a deuce, There are alot more guys that know more than me,Im sure, but I will be there if u want to call , I will give it to U straight,Randy 973 219 4499,

98hd

Re: RE: Going to inspect my truck, questions

Blood_of_Tyrants said:
Neg on one battery goes to ground. The positive of that battery goes to the negative of the second. The positive of the second goes to the solenoid and the rest of the truck. If you want to jump start the truck, the best way is to do it from another deuce, main positive to main positive, negative to ground, no connections to the batt 1 to batt 2 jumper.

If you can't get another deuce, then you'll need two sets of jumper cables and two batteries. One can be your vehicle battery connected straight across one of the deuce's batteries (pos to pos, neg to neg), the other can be a spare battery connected across the other deuce battery (again pos to pos, neg to neg). Leave the batt 1 to batt 2 deuce jumper on.
wired as I would have expected. No other deuce, but my DD has 2 batts (12v system though) so I will bring another set of cables to jump it.

emr said:
Sorry , But U got me worried, do u have any one who could go with U,That has experience with a deuce ? can u ask this list for somebody near U, This is a real truck , Im sure you are aware of that, hard to drive, alot of quirks, ALOT of things to know, U can call me any time i always answer my phone, before U go and even while u are there, i have alot of background with old trucks, and a down and dirty knowledge of a deuce, There are alot more guys that know more than me,Im sure, but I will be there if u want to call , I will give it to U straight,Randy 973 219 4499,
No need to worry, I've done 3 frame off resto's so far, so the mechanical knowledge is there. Driven large trucks, and equipment. I've just never worked on, or been inside any MV's before. I'd rather get all the info I can before going out there than to sit and try and figure it out when I get there. Thanks for your number, hopefully I won't need to do any calling.

Armada

RE: Re: RE: Going to inspect my truck, questions

I'm going to inspece the truck I won, this friday, and see if I can get it running, and test it out. I didn't do a pre inspection so I hope all goes well.
98hd, where did you win it from? Lansing just sold one this week.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DO NOT! I repeat DO NOT hook up two sets of jumper cables to each duece battery to each battery in your 12volt truck. You need a separate battery that's not hooked to your trucks electrical system. Only run one set of cables to your truck. You will fry alot of stuff and could explode.

98hd

I won it at Ft. McCoy, WI 1st EUC and yes I know it will take awhile, but I want to go see what I have to work with now, so I can arrange the rest later.

m16ty said:
DO NOT! I repeat DO NOT hook up two sets of jumper cables to each duece battery to each battery in your 12volt truck. You need a separate battery that's not hooked to your trucks electrical system. Only run one set of cables to your truck. You will fry alot of stuff and could explode.
Can you explain why? Maybe my brain is slow so early in the morning, but i'm not seeing why it would cause a problem. I'll take your word for it though.

acetomatoco

You have plenty of time to get the manuals and study them in bed for a month or so... Go look at other deuces in your area...Brakes are usually down...Dot5 is $40 a gallon....Diesel is $3 a gallon etc... take two new batteries with you... Registration, insurance and someone to help you carry the tool boxes..and spare parts. Best method, especially with newbies is to hire it delivered.. Give a release to a trucker and wait at home in the driveway... safer quicker and cheaper in the long run.

Jake0147

98hd said:
I won it at Ft. McCoy, WI 1st EUC and yes I know it will take awhile, but I want to go see what I have to work with now, so I can arrange the rest later.

m16ty said:
Can you explain why? Maybe my brain is slow so early in the morning, but i'm not seeing why it would cause a problem. I'll take your word for it though.

That's easy to explain, but impossible to explain, and I know it sounds silly, but it's REALLY easy to see it clearly if you draw it on paper. One set of batteries in series, one set of batteries in parallel, then draw the two sets of jumper cables. The "plus to minus" jumper on the 24 volt arrangement very effectively takes the twelve volt arrangement and in addition to the "desirable" current flow paths, it simultaneously and solidly creates one big "loop" connecting both positive terminals to both negative terminals. At that point, you're looking for another ride home.

Michael

The pos wire of one jumper cable will be connected to the neg wire of the other jumper cable by way of the wire that connects the two batteries together in the duce. You will then have a dead short to ground on one of your pickup batteries.

98hd

Alright, I get it now.

My new idea. I took a 1 battery out of two of my other trucks to bring with. I also have 2 sets of jumper cables. I can use one set to hook the 2 batts up in series to get 24v, and the other set I can hook up the pos of batt 1 to pos. cable on the deuce, and the neg of batt 2 to chassis ground on the deuce.

Michael

I have never bought a truck from GL that had batteries in it that would take a charge. Has anybody had better luck than me?

derby

I lucked out once on some discharged batt's... still going. 98hd don't bother with the jumper cables, just pull the old ones out and put new one's in.You will have so many cable connections and stuff hanging all over ,one slips and then starts the wiggling.besides that you will need some heavy cables as the W*lm*rt ones will shurly melt down.trust me I have tried it,much easier to pull'em. One more thing to think about ,if the batt's in the truck are dead they could suck the juice out of your jump batt's and only leave you with enough power to roll it over slowly.with the current temps you will need all the power you can get! you might want to put your batt's on a trickle charge over night so they are fresh in the morning.Good Luck and report back asap!

98hd

derby said:
I lucked out once on some discharged batt's... still going. 98hd don't bother with the jumper cables, just pull the old ones out and put new one's in.You will have so many cable connections and stuff hanging all over ,one slips and then starts the wiggling.besides that you will need some heavy cables as the W*lm*rt ones will shurly melt down.trust me I have tried it,much easier to pull'em. One more thing to think about ,if the batt's in the truck are dead they could suck the juice out of your jump batt's and only leave you with enough power to roll it over slowly.with the current temps you will need all the power you can get! you might want to put your batt's on a trickle charge over night so they are fresh in the morning.Good Luck and report back asap!
I'll keep that in mind about just changing them out. I have one batt that is fully charged, other is on the charger right now finishing up. I just got back from filling my truck up w/ fuel, and filled a can w/ diesel to put in the deuce. It's getting expensive at 3.50 a gallon!

98hd

I'm still over in WI, but I did inspect the truck. The guy at the drmo (forgot his name already) was very nice. Took me over to the truck, and even jumped in it for me. Flipped the acc, got power, put it in N, locked the park brake, pushed the starter and she started right up :D

After the air built up, I got inside and put it in R and backed up a bit so I could test the brakes. It was between another truck and a fence so I couldn't drive it around at all, but the brakes seemed to be working fine.

So all the tools, fuel, and batteries were unnecessary, which was great as I shouldn't have to fool around w/ anything now.

On another note, it is going to be a LONG drive back home when I finally bring it back. It wasn't designed for someone 6'6". The steering wheel was almost rubbing my belly, and I don't have a belly either!

Overall really happy, and it looked like he had some more trucks coming up soon. Some so-so with one or two really clean ones. One even had the paperwork booklet inside still.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks