• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going to live in my deuce in Oklahoma....

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The harder and smarter you work, the luckier you get. Have you asked for more responsibility at work (which can lead to higher pay) ? Work a 2nd job? I did that for a year and made ends meet when my primary income was falling short (delivered pizza's....made about $250 cash a week 20 years ago)......will help clear the debt.

Having a plan is key.........those who fail to plan , plan to fail. You're spot on with a stepped out approach.......stick with it and life will get easier.

Most in here have been in a similar situation (no $$$, worked their way out).

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another thought, slide in truck campers can be found pretty cheap. Last one a got set me back $250

ryan77

Having no money and being broke at one point will make u stronger and wiser in the future! When i was broke i ate things that would make a billy goat puke and did a lot of walking due to broke down car! It will pass and u will have good bar room conversations for 10 yrs from now!!!

Checkmate

Thank You for your service and best of luck to you. Times are tough and sh*t happens. Your brother should at least try to help you out for a year considering you put 3 years of your life into putting him back on his feet. That is not being insensitive or anything but a simple statement of what family means to me.
Now money-wise, I think you should get rid of the Sonic and get a beater (6-cyl gas, light-duty pickup would be perfect). This way at least you can get from Point-A to Point-B and carry goodies (2x4s, plywood, etc.) To settle up your debt and bills I'd try to sell the Vette and/or Deuce to a fellow SS'er that would be willing to "loan" you money but have the Vette/Deuce as collateral.

Just my opinion, good luck with the situation and thanks for your service.

3dAngus

Having no money and being broke at one point will make u stronger and wiser in the future! When i was broke i ate things that would make a billy goat puke
Azaleas will make a billy goat puke. They are poisenous to a goat.
Don't eat the azaleas. If you or the goat eat them, use some pepto bismol for relief.

M1031CMT

Another thought, slide in truck campers can be found pretty cheap. Last one a got set me back $250
Very good idea. I have seen more than a couple of those for sale for cheap. Most people just want them out. It would give you a bed, storage, small kitchen (with a fridge to store food which is important when you can get cheap bulk deals on stuff). Some units even come with a mini toilet/shower. It will be far from great, but x1000 times better than living directly out of the bed of the deuce. Humidity will be a huge problem with living in the back of the deuce. It gets into everything and anything slightly damp starts to rot. Being in the slide-in would be much better.

Even the largest slide in unit will still leave a lot of room in the back of the deuce, giving you a mini porch to sit on to drink the warm beer.

Good luck and I hope things go better for you in the future.

Gruemeyer

A little concerned with the whole story.. Broke yet ca afford PC and internet hook up, 96 Vet has not been sold to meet piling up bills and had enough credit or paid cash for a 2012 sonic.

I can remember hard times as well.. I worked 3 jobs at one time. There are 24 hours in each day and for a short period of time you can live on 20 hours per day.

Jobs are available everywhere..May not be high paid but they are jobs.

I am sorry if I come across not to be politically correct. Not sure why the sad story rather than just asking for ideas about living in an MV?
:gimp2:

waayfast

FWIW,
I just went to a Bon Voyage party given to a couple that is going to live for 40 days in the back of their Chevy G-506 1 1/2 ton cargo truck. It's a 9 foot bed. Wood bows, canvas cover.
They are going on the MVPA Al-Can Highway convoy and will be sleeping/camping out in the truck for the duration.
They are 70 years old.

Of course your situation is more "gotta" than their "wanta". Just using this as an example that your plan is do-able and I commend you for taken the extreme measure that the extreme situation calls for.

Oh, yeah Richard put some plastic sided fiberglass insulation batts over the bows, then the canvas cover over that for more "cozy".

It's also a 40th wedding aniversary trip for them:grin:." If this 506 is rockin', don't be knockin!!":wink:.
Jim

RodUSMC1962

Merlot, I read your post and every one`s twice, and have given this some thought. It seems to me you cannot afford the two cars you have, the the advice to sell both was good. I never got a divorce, but do they have to cost $12,000? I don`t know the deal between you and your brother but I bet there is more to this story than you are telling us. You seem like an angry young man who made some bad choices and are paying the price. It seems you are trying to do something now and I wish you luck, your daughter is the most important thing, as you know.Thank you for your service and good luck. Keep us posted on your progress.

merlot566jka

Does your truck have troopseats? I have a set of seats and bows you can have. And possibly a cargo cover.

I also lived in my suburban for a very short while after my divorce 10 years ago.

Sounds like you have a grasp on what is needed and a good plan to impliment.
That sounds great! I will PM you.

Guys, maybe I focused too much on my story rather than wanting to live in my deuce.
In two months I will start recieving the $1076 housing allowance from the GI bill.
In three months I get to change my health care plan from the horrendeous ripoff it is now and I will save about $650/mo
In three months I also pay off the divorce attorney loan, +$433/mo.

So in about 4 months I will be back to the top, where I can still afford my cars. I really dont want to get rid of the Vette or the Deuce. The sonic... eh, well I could sell that one. But why? if in 4 months, I will be back in a comfort zone (financially).

The true desire here, is to live basic. Like ultra basic. And since it costs relatively nothing to do so, it sure helps my financial situation. I can sock away the extra money, and when it gets fridged cold outside, I will have a significant amount of my debt paid off and have more than enough to get a decent place, if I want to. I make about 60k a year, which isnt bad for a non-degreed person fresh out of the navy. I am just at a point where my debt and obligation equals more than I am making.

merlot566jka

Thanks for your service. I appreciate it and feel for you in this situation. The one thing I see that you left out of this scenario is security. How do you keep your stuff in the deuce secure while you are at work? Also, do you envision your daughter visiting you while you are "camping"? How will that work? Not trying to be a smart aleck...just asking. Have you considered selling some stuff to clear some debt? A corvette is great and I wish I had one, but if it is contributing to a big pile of debt on top of you, it can't be much fun. Just my two cents...
I will be in an isolated area... the only things around are trees and horses. But I like your way of thinking. I can weld on some padlocks on doors and tool boxes. And short of booby traps, I am not sure how to keep people away with out harming them.

My daughter will not visit me here. She lives 5 hours away and my exwife doesnt have a car and lives off the child support I send for my daughter. So when I want to see my daughter, I have to drive to east Texas and get a hotel. that in itself is much of the reason I have been spending outside of my income. I was going down twice a month for 2 days each time. That adds up fast.

I have considered selling, and have sold everything exept tools and cars and essientials. the only things left are some small peices of furniture, a microwave and dishes.

The corvette is worth about $7000 blue book value. I pay $140 a month for it. and insurace for all three of my vehicles is $113 a month. I owe $6600 on it.

The biggest two debts are health care and child support. Then the new chevy sonic and then the divorce loan. All three of my vehicls added to gether are worth $31000. What I own on them is $34000. Buying a new car was a great idea for reliability to go see my daughter and go to work, but it sure sucks when it comes to getting money back out of it.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been living in a vehicle since `80, it's not that hard. As stated a slide-in camper or trailer (even cargo) makes a great way to have a "base camp" while you go and do other things. Elise likes her rig to be her live-in space, I prefer having a trailer, right now it's a 105 hardtop, that lets me still use the truck for working.
And I wouldn't get rid of my deuce! Right now I can't afford to use my only other rig, a `70 E300. The little Draggin' & She Beast are eating because I harvest fuel. Can't do that for my van.

This site is all about how to live in your rig cheap, CheapRVLiving Check it out.

gungearz

I'm with these guys. Sell everything off and take care of your little girl. Try your best to hold the emotions in while your with her. Material things are replaced very easily but the time spent with your daughter can't be replaced. I know.. I was with my wife for 18 years (since we were 14) and I think god we are still together after I went thru my selfish stage. I pay for it everyday... Knowing I shouldve spent more time with our kids. They grow to fast.... Good luck brother.

greenjeepster

I lived in an RV two winters ago. I had a place to park it at first and then just moved parking lot to parking lot daily... rest area here, Walmart there. vacant lot over here.

It is doable... But gets old.
Now I just work multiple jobs.

Short term situation like you are considering parking lot jumping is pretty doable. I would find a piggy back camper and a cheap dumping station and than just move around.

3dAngus

That sounds great! I will PM you.

Guys, maybe I focused too much on my story rather than wanting to live in my deuce.
In two months I will start recieving the $1076 housing allowance from the GI bill.
In three months I get to change my health care plan from the horrendeous ripoff it is now and I will save about $650/mo
In three months I also pay off the divorce attorney loan, +$433/mo.

So in about 4 months I will be back to the top, where I can still afford my cars. I really dont want to get rid of the Vette or the Deuce. The sonic... eh, well I could sell that one. But why? if in 4 months, I will be back in a comfort zone (financially).

The true desire here, is to live basic. Like ultra basic. And since it costs relatively nothing to do so, it sure helps my financial situation. I can sock away the extra money, and when it gets fridged cold outside, I will have a significant amount of my debt paid off and have more than enough to get a decent place, if I want to. I make about 60k a year, which isnt bad for a non-degreed person fresh out of the navy. I am just at a point where my debt and obligation equals more than I am making.
That make a BIGGGGG difference.
It's more like an extended camping out trip, then living in a deuce, if only for a few months.

Big difference!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks