• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going to live in my deuce in Oklahoma....

mikey

I applaud the OP for wanting to live in the deuce. I'm sure if his daughter's health or his own was an issue, he'd sell the vette, but if the guy wants to keep it and is ready to live outdoors and for a unique chapter in his life, that's awesome.

Good luck OP. Thanks for your service!

Mikey

PS... I'd live in my deuce also rather than give up my vette!

Attachments

ryan77

Ive always wanted to drive around the country in a RV going from town to town solving crimes!!! Lol

eddiec

Ok. Bankruptcy. Filed last year, had a 48 chevy truck, 96 chevy 4x4 dually, 05 trail blazer and a 2008 pontiac G6. Owned the home im in now and an acre two lots away from me. Kept it all. Then got rid if the pontiac for a new car for my wife, credit was no problem. I went from $35.00 per hour to $9.75 now, was $8.50, had no choice, owed a quarter mil, it is doable.

eddiec

If your camping brings you
To my area pm me, ive got 250 gallons of fuel and an electic pump you can have. Plus ive got a converter, ac-dc you can have. Wish i still had my expandable van body, u could have it

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like fun to me. A drastic lifestyle change often helps to figure out what is really important and re-prioritize, kind of a "hard reset". Sounds like you've got the option to rent a cheap place but you're choosing an extended campout because you want to. By what you've stated above it sounds like you've got a plan and aside from some possible initial discomfort it should suit you fine. I say go for it.

Since you have the plan to get your life back on the track you desire how about we contribute some thoughts to make your chosen course of action mo' better.

The moisture concern voice above is valid. It will get damp in the back of your deuce, especially if security is a concern and you keep the tarp closed up during the day. What about a dehumidifier or at least a fan to provide some air to the inside? If you've got shore power a fan and a small electric space heater should work well.

Does your shower solution have a way to drain into the campsite sewage hookup? If not you'll need a soakage pit for your grey water.

Is security a concern? I've seen the rear of deuces enclosed with plywood, with sheet metal and with expanded steel. Depending on your budget for improving your camper any of them would work. I also thought some scrap chain link fence would work well if fastened over the bows and attached to the bed around the edges. A stock tarp could them go over the fence and hide the security enclosure. However, you would need better bows than the stock wood.

Get a step ladder for the bed of the deuce too. Climbing in and out all the time will be tedious.

What about fuel for your campfire? Will you be able to collect free wood/solid fuel to sustain your fire for the duration of your stay? If you have to pay for solid fuel compare against cooking with propane and a second hand coleman stove/small grill. If wood is free, of course go with the fire as long as conditions allow.

Finally, don't let the desire for site improvement to creep in on you. You might find you want a little improvement here and a little improvement there so your homestead is more convenient and comfortable. Next thing you know you've spent the money you saved by living the in the back of your deuce! Scrounge, recycle and barter to get what you need and make the improvements.

Good luck and have fun while your at it!:beer:

Last edited:

joshs1ofakindxj

My second year of college I REALLY considered living out of my 89 Jeep cherokee so I could save some money, and I even went as far as building a bed in the back with roll out drawers under it and things like that. Then I got lucky and found a room in a shared house with some class mates for $100 a month so that didn't happen. I did a ton of research though to see how other people lived out of their vehicles, and did some downsizing of possessions to get ready for the lifestyle change, and I now know that it is possible and I could do it if I needed to, and like yourself, I am young and I have a few prized possessions I'd hate to get rid of. I would probably be clinging to my corvette while living on peanut butter if I was in your situation. Don't sell the things your passionate about unless you absolutely have to.

Heath_h49008

Been there brother. My exwife had the locks changed on my home with all my clothes, tools, etc inside and filed for a ex-parte restraining order. (She didn't want to be the one to move and liked the place.) The order was thrown out, but only after waiting 2 months to get in front of the judge.

If you don't have other friends or family in the area, a storage unit and an extended camping event would be the best choice. You probably don't want all your stuff sitting in an isolated and unguarded lot for any passerby to see.

Keep your head up and as a side note document everything for the court. Stay calm and stick to the parenting orders like the bible. Record every threat, every nasty thing that happens.

If you keep an eye on CL and other local sites, you can probably locate a college level flop pad for less than the cost of building a campsite. Maybe even a local woman who wouldn't mind a bed cozy for a few months. :whistle:

Good luck man.

Tlauden

Well if your hearts set to go "camping" best of luck to you. Times are tough and everyone's doing what they can to get by. Why don't you sell some stuff and get a cheap camper. A pop-up you can find for a couple hundred bucks if you look around. By the time you spend all the money to make your deuce livable you would probably be up to the price of a cheap camper.

lawdog1623

The answer is simple. I'm pretty sure with a little creative thinking and a little hunting on craigslist and/or some local classifieds, you can trade that Vette for a pretty nice, spacious, modern and clean travel trailer or toy hauler. Depending on the condition of the Vette, you might find a 5th-wheel trailer with slides that when opened will be as plush and comfy inside as any modern condo without the HOA BS to put up with! A toy hauler will give you a great place to secure your tools. In the event of a SHTF bugout situation, I would love to have a nice modern 5th-wheel travel trailer to call home wherever I wanna drag it to with my deuce! :mrgreen:
this is by far your best bet!

merlot566jka

move in with your parents
words from my parents mouth "We dont want your vehicles in our driveway or infront of our house, dont you have friends in another state?"

My parents are not around to help. They only care for themselves. And since they know cars are my passion, thats where they attack me. I dont understand who could abandon thier own children. My dad makes more than 12 times what I make (owns his own lawfirm), and my mom is an architectual engineer and makes close to what I do. They have everything they could ever want, huge house, remote properties, boat, cars, a **** movie theater...

I asked for some help four months ago when I saw this problem coming. They told me they were saving thier money to buy another vacation home. They told me they helped me already... (when I got out of the navy, they gave me $100 and bought me a mexican food dinner... then told me I was a failure for not going to college)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My parents loaned me money to get my second car ($150). I paid it back and they loaned me $100 once while I was in the Navy. Other than that I never expected or asked my parents to help with anything, but they offered a lot.

My son, he's different. I helped him get his first car and moved him into my house. One day he moves out and takes a bunch of my furniture with him. I only saw him once after that and it was 9 years ago.

My Dad gave me some valuable lessons about not depending on anyone but myself (I hate to ask for help, just ask Gimpy). Sell anything and everything in order to make ends meet and work for a nickel an hour if that's what it took to support my family.

You'll do alright and be the better for it when you come out the other side. Good luck.

bigzirb

I second the Dave Ramsey Plan. My wife and I used a modified version (we didn't sell everything we could) to clean up our mess and went from almost losing everything to the only thing we owe money on is our house. You seem to have a handle on what you want to do. Go have your adventure, but be sure to keep yourself on the path to achieving your goals. [thumbzup]
Dave Ramsey Homepage - daveramsey.com
Good Luck and thank you for your service.

rickf

Listening to you talk you are up and down drastically. You really should talk to a counselor. I am not trying to be a smart azz here, you have some anger issues to deal with. You seem to hate your family with a passion. Your finances are not going to magically repair themselves like you seem to think. Get some help my friend.

Rick

82ABNMP

Steel Soldiers Supporter
money...

That sounds great! I will PM you.

Guys, maybe I focused too much on my story rather than wanting to live in my deuce.
In two months I will start recieving the $1076 housing allowance from the GI bill.
In three months I get to change my health care plan from the horrendeous ripoff it is now and I will save about $650/mo
In three months I also pay off the divorce attorney loan, +$433/mo.

So in about 4 months I will be back to the top, where I can still afford my cars. I really dont want to get rid of the Vette or the Deuce. The sonic... eh, well I could sell that one. But why? if in 4 months, I will be back in a comfort zone (financially).

The true desire here, is to live basic. Like ultra basic. And since it costs relatively nothing to do so, it sure helps my financial situation. I can sock away the extra money, and when it gets fridged cold outside, I will have a significant amount of my debt paid off and have more than enough to get a decent place, if I want to. I make about 60k a year, which isnt bad for a non-degreed person fresh out of the navy. I am just at a point where my debt and obligation equals more than I am making.
"A debt is created when a creditor agrees to lend a sum of assets to a debtor. Debt is usually granted with expected repayment; in modern society, in most cases, this includes repayment of the original sum, plus interest"

"In common usage, an expense or expenditure is an outflow of money to another person or group to pay for an item or service, or for a category of costs. For a tenant, rent is an expense. For students or parents, tuition is an expense. Buying food, clothing, furniture or an automobile is often referred to as an expense"

"The corvette is worth about $7000 blue book value.
I pay $140 a month for it. and insurace for all three of my vehicles is $113 a month. I owe $6600 on it. These are DEBTS...INS is an EXPENSE

"The biggest two debts are health care and child support". EXPENSES

"Then the new chevy sonic and then the divorce loan. All three of my vehicls added to gether are worth $31000. What I own on them is $34000." YOU ARE UPSIDE DOWN

Buying a new car was a great idea for reliability to go see my daughter and go to work, but it sure sucks when it comes to getting money back out of it." Correct!! It's an EXPENSE of doing business...LIFE

Friend, being on "top" is not just being able to afford your cars, but taking care of you daughter and her future needs. You don't own them the bank does. You are upside down on them and they represent DEBT not an asset!!!! If your true desire is to live "ultra basic"....then SELL YOUR STUFF and pay of your debts. I am not trying to be a jerk but to tell you the truth IMHO, your lack of parental help maybe caused by your values and they don’t want to be a part of it…If you say “they know I love cars”. Or they say “ I should have gone to college” Your GI bill is to be used on school not to help you afford toys. I know I am coming of hard…but my intention is to help you. Cars and trucks are metal hunks that can be replaced. Sell your deuce and vett (toys) and keep the new car (tool) as it’s the most practical transportation, even though it is a debt/expense.

GO HERE: http://www.becomingminimalist.com/
then HERE: http://www.daveramsey.com/home/

David

Last edited:

zout

Not going to get into the financial chit - its pretty much out in the open now on the thread.

But I was reading today about "What is wrong with our children today" and going though all the chit they are up against and their decision making process.

Then later this after noon I happened to have to walk though wal mart (I really really hate shopping) and noticed children with mostly Moms at their site and just how they handled them.

Well - all this input in one day was a no brainer for me - there are some really FUBARED parents and I extremely use the term lightly - and they are Fubared worse than the kids are - makes ya wonder about their parents :cookoo::cookoo::cookoo:.

Go ahead and ask almost more than the majority of folks in the WORLD how to fix your life - over 97% are more fubared than you are - and your asking them for help and advice.

My advice - take your right arm (left if left handed) open it widely - slowly move it towards your groin and grab a big heaping handful of it and just wrench down on it and grow up.

There is only one thing promised to you in this life is a CHANCE
Other is a trial by jury of your same peers
I only know for sure I trust the first one.

Grow up.

ryan77

Not going to get into the financial chit - its pretty much out in the open now on the thread.

But I was reading today about "What is wrong with our children today" and going though all the chit they are up against and their decision making process.

Then later this after noon I happened to have to walk though wal mart (I really really hate shopping) and noticed children with mostly Moms at their site and just how they handled them.

Well - all this input in one day was a no brainer for me - there are some really FUBARED parents and I extremely use the term lightly - and they are Fubared worse than the kids are - makes ya wonder about their parents :cookoo::cookoo::cookoo:.

Go ahead and ask almost more than the majority of folks in the WORLD how to fix your life - over 97% are more fubared than you are - and your asking them for help and advice.

My advice - take your right arm (left if left handed) open it widely - slowly move it towards your groin and grab a big heaping handful of it and just wrench down on it and grow up.

There is only one thing promised to you in this life is a CHANCE
Other is a trial by jury of your same peers
I only know for sure I trust the first one.

Grow up.
Part of the problem was u were shopping at walmart! I refuse to enter one now! Everytime i go in there i get agravated! Its like a magnet for the bottom feeders of society! Id rather pay a couple bucks more and go to farm and fleet or target! But the people of walmart website does provide entertainment!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks