• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going to look at a '68 M35A2: What to look for/ to be prepared to fix, Newbie edition

71DeuceAK

Like the title says, I'm probably going to go look at a 1968 M35A2 in the next week or two. I'm admittedly a little on the excited side, but also on the slightly terrified side, "What am I getting myself into?"

Some backstory:

-I'm presently a college freshman who spent his high school years living in rural southeast Alaska with no roads/cars, so believe it or not this 18 year old doesn't drive yet and probably won't be licensed for at least another, say, six months. (Wanting to take professional driver's ed). Got the Deuce bug a little over a year and a half ago, quite suddenly of course (Like usually happens from what I understand). Been reading up on the darn things ever since. I've had a little bit of in person experience climbing around on them and actually my first experience with a manual transmission, and about my second time behind the wheel, was trying to bump start a M49 fuel tanker Deuce by being towed with another vehicle, slightly terrifying but well worth what I learned of how these trucks handle.

-I just so happened to be perusing my local Craigslist a few days ago, and found a '68 M35A2 in decent shape, asking 3500. Called the number on the ad and talked to the guy earlier this evening. Apparently he's the first civilian owner, and has had it for about 15 years. "Apparently" there is nothing wrong with it to speak of: good tires, good brakes, recent batteries, good E-brake, etc. etc. I know I'm crazy for even considering it at all but I can't shake the feeling that opportunity is knocking for me. I'm going to hopefully go look at it this week or next week sometime.

-Yes, this would be my first vehicle I ever owned. I'm still not driving quite yet so it would sit for awhile. I'm presently house hunting and may have found a couple promising listings, so if those pan out soon I'll have space to park it for however long. Obviously once I'm driving it would get more use, I could even see daily driving it, especially during the summer months. (Winters in Fairbanks, Alaska...we'll see...this is my first winter living here).

Just looking for suggestions on what to look for/what to be prepared to have to fix, etc. Being apparently definitely drivable, it could be driven somewhere and parked for the time being. Tomorrow might be a call or a trip down to the DMV to ask some questions about titling when I still only have a learners permit, what Alaska's specific insurance laws are for temporary trip insurance, etc. Hopefully insurance companies don't just laugh at my situation, though I have the sneaking suspicion they might. (Trying to get insurance for it for someone else to drive it to some other place where it could be parked).

Part of me is ever so slightly terrified at the idea of jumping in headfirst with a Deuce as a first-ever-owned vehicle, especially considering I'm mechanically a total novice. But at the same time I can't shake the feeling that opportunity is knocking for me and it sort of "feels right" if that make sense. I definitely have already investigated it further.

Let's hear others' thoughts/first newbie Deuce purchase anecdotes/suggestions!

fasttruck

Are you prepared to deal with Alaska winters, a diesel engine, gelled fuel etc ? Can you drive a manual transmission ? With any military vehicle the grease gun is your friend. Grease is cheap parts are expensive. Get all the pubs for this and read them. Do you know how to turn the lights on in a MV with the Army's patented light switch ? Not my candidate for a first car. If the vehicle is in Alaska hopefully it has all the cold weather accessories required to survive there.

71DeuceAK

As far as Alaska winters, I wouldn't be driving it THIS winter; it will sit. Though part of the go look at it situation is that I need to do so before major freeze up, the truck has a block heater but is too far from the owner's house for an extension cord to reach, of course I need to see it run.

Oh, yeah, by the way, truck has TMs included! That will help a lot with things for sure.

It came from Ft. Wainwright (just outside Fairbanks) so it should theoretically be winterized...somewhat.

71DeuceAK

One step closer, got directions to go look at the thing sometime. Also talked with DMV in my state to get answers to some titling questions I had. (It's actually easier than I thought to register a vehicle in this state!).

Now to find a place to park the thing...

71DeuceAK

Well, that one didn't pan out. BUT...I already found another. Ad claims it's a '79, though the bed doesn't look to be a dropside. Also has more of a Vietnam era paint scheme, the clay looking brown/almost red. Guy was going to bob it but never did, but it appears to come with four newer wheels...395s I think? It's a soft top, which ideally will change to a hard top since we get snow here, but that can be addressed later. It's a non-turbo according to the ad, does that help determine the year?

Pretty excited...of course. We'll see if this one pans out, it will take a few months to get ducks in a row but you never know, the seller may be willing to work with me...

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
An M35A2 was designed to survive in the cold-cold.
Little items like all the oil drains into the crankcase
after shutdown of engine. that way it might even start next time.

So then it takes only 115 seconds or so after engine is running
to get any lube oil up to the turbocharger bearings.
Slam here ..............

AZK9

... Let's hear others' thoughts/first newbie Deuce purchase anecdotes/suggestions!
I think that you ought to seriously factor in the cost of snow-chains for any deuce you plan to drive during an Alaskan cold season.

From my own experience... a deuce won't handle real well (on roads with snow and ice) without the proper chains installed.

Just a thought.

Good luck with your search! [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks