• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going to other Countries with an ex-milatary vehicle?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Are there any problems with traveling with an LMTV out of the United States?
say.... south America.
There are a few threads on this. Don't go into central America unless you want to lose it for the most part. Gerhart would know about deep south America. We have one member that is in Suriname with a HET and a gentleman in Costa Rica with a 5 ton.

rockDAWG

Hmmm that is interesting. I was worried about that Uncle Sam would not allow us to export an M1078 to other countries.

There are so many pricy Unimog or MAN expedition vehicles coming from Europe and Australia. Would the bandits be more interested in these vehicles?

Green Mountain Boys

Quebec, Canada had proposed a ban on all ex military vehicles from virtually all of their roads. It was to take effect about September 1 2019. I am not sure what the status is on that ban now. I am also not sure how that ban might be applied to vehicles registered in the USA.

rockDAWG

Sadly this also happens in Maryland too.

But I am not quite sure how much meat in it. Will they eventually reinforce the law.
In the document it says:
Prior to purchase of a military vehicle, each buyer is required to complete and sign the Federal Government DLA Form 1822, End-Use Certificate the form SF-97, which clearly indicates that the vehicles are intended for Off-Road Use Only. Signature of these documents is an acknowledgmentof the off-road only status of these vehicles. These federal forms do not qualify or classify these vehicles for use on-road.

Reworked LMTV

If traveling in South America, rent. If doing Overlanding mainly, develop a platform for your box that can be used in other counties.

rockDAWG

I strongly recommend you do not take a Military Vehicle to Mexico. I double my recommendation if it is still painted in Military colours or cammo. You will also get in trouble if it has any kind of weapon mount.
If my plan works, the final product won't look like a military vehicle. I choose an M1078 for its chassis.

rockDAWG

Make the box with standard ISO shipping container dimensions.
It will be very tough to fit into a shipping container. The container is 16.15 m (53ft) long, 2.896 meters (9ft 6 inches) high, but are 2.59 meters (8ft 6 inches) wide. If it fits, not sure if the driver can get out the vehicle without a pass-thru between cab and box.

I was thinking it has to be a RORO arrangement to minimize the last-minute logistic nightmares.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quebec, Canada had proposed a ban on all ex military vehicles from virtually all of their roads. It was to take effect about September 1 2019. I am not sure what the status is on that ban now. I am also not sure how that ban might be applied to vehicles registered in the USA.
We're all good up in Quebec now. It was ridiculous for a while but once the voices in the choir started singing and didn't stop, MV's became more than welcome.

Come North, Canada keeps the trucks running cooler. Adding screens over the radiators to keep the mosquitos from pluggin' them up always helps.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In 2012, an MV fleet showed up in Canada from all over the continent, Texas, Florida.....and a few other places. We followed them to Dawson Creek where they departed on the MVPA ALCAN tour of Alaska. Here are a few videos of folks making the difficult trip north, look easy.

The toys and wheel chocks(RH)

The big boys

You can take anything you want, to Alaska's restaurant.

Reworked LMTV

It will be very tough to fit into a shipping container. The container is 16.15 m (53ft) long, 2.896 meters (9ft 6 inches) high, but are 2.59 meters (8ft 6 inches) wide. If it fits, not sure if the driver can get out the vehicle without a pass-thru between cab and box.

I was thinking it has to be a RORO arrangement to minimize the last-minute logistic nightmares.

Look at a Bliss.

rockDAWG

Look at a Bliss.
I am aware of the Bliss Mobil box. Yes they can ship the "box" to you in a container. It does not mean they you can ship your LMTV with the box in a shipping container. I know of many folks with a high roof cargo van (Ford Transit or Promaster) were struggling to ship their vans in a container. They have to remove all their junks on the roof and air down their tires almost to nothing to fit into the high cube container.

As now, this is not our "must-have" requirement. Sourcing out a subframe mount and composite panels are our top agenda. With the coronavirus crisis, visiting different vendors a bit challenging. They just extended the border closing between the US and Canada for another month. I guess I should be more patient. :)

rockDAWG

Come North, Canada keeps the trucks running cooler. Adding screens over the radiators to keep the mosquitos from pluggin' them up always helps.
We definitely will be in Canada for a long time. Hey, for every US dollar we spend, we get 30 to 40% discount.....LOL.

Actually our plan is to get our rig half-ready and drive up to Maine, NovaScotia, and Newfoundland in late summer or late winter. To test our rig, we want to spend some cold weather months to work out the bugs. If all good, we will head out to Canadia Rockies, Yukon, Alaska and Tuktoyaktuk. Hopefully roaming up north for a year or two before heading south to Ushuaia. Keep our fingers crossed, hope the world economy is stable, our health holds up and our objective remains the same. We can get this done. :)

rockDAWG

We were scheduled to visit Total Composite, Grigsby, and Overland Adventure on the week March 16. Unfortunately, we had to cancel less than 2 days before the flight. for the sake of safety concerns of everyone. We have not rescheduled this yet, looking into June for my own availability.

I spent some time I "studied" TRAX OFF-GRID , vids, and their shop/website, I am not impressed with their work and build. They don't offer much, just rebranding other people 's stuff. But this is just me. :)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks