• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Going to pick up my first Deuce

XchaosX

Heading down to NJ Saturday morning to drive back home 250 miles. It's a 1971 AM General with with winch, drop side, heat, whistler turbo, and singled out with 395's. It's coming with a bunch spare parts, tops, and tow bar. Bringing as many tools as I can, jacks, oil, brake fluid, and coolant. Should be picking up a 105 trailer and a winch for the back on the way home also. Hopefully I make it home with no problems but if not I have couple back up plans. Can't wait, though the wife isn't as excited.

XchaosX

I appreciate the offer and hopefully it goes as planned. The guy i'm picking a trailer up from is also a member here and offered help too. The guy i'm buying from, his son works for a truck company and will haul it back for reasonable fee if it comes to that.

XchaosX

Well the trip has been postponed. He called me last just I was getting everything together to leave in the morning to tell me the truck wouldn't be ready. I was quite bummed as was he. He thought he had a bad rear axle bearing. He put in new a bearing and seals. Took it out for a test drive before I came down and it was still making a noise. Tore it down again today and found a gear had let go in the diff. He is going to get a spare axle from a friend tomorrow and put a new bearing and seal in it. Hopefully the trip will be back on for next weekend.

Flingarrows

Well the trip has been postponed. He called me last just I was getting everything together to leave in the morning to tell me the truck wouldn't be ready. I was quite bummed as was he. He thought he had a bad rear axle bearing. He put in new a bearing and seals. Took it out for a test drive before I came down and it was still making a noise. Tore it down again today and found a gear had let go in the diff. He is going to get a spare axle from a friend tomorrow and put a new bearing and seal in it. Hopefully the trip will be back on for next weekend.
Sounds like a good guy to deal with, by taking the time to make sure everything is right

XchaosX

Yeah, i'm glad i'm buying from him, seems like a real decent guy. He said he didn't feel right with me driving it home til he had it fixed. Which i'm glad cause I would of never made it home on my own. He is even changing the fluids.

XchaosX

Went down with a buddy last Tuesday and picked it up. About a 4 hour drive down and 8 hour ride home in the deuce, it was quite the adventure. For being such a decent guy, he screwed me on a couple things. The truck was running before I got there. I asked him flat out if the batteries were dead, he said he left a light switch on the night before and drained the batteries and they were other wise good. Should of just gone and bought some but I believed him.

The ebrake wasn't hook up, so that was fun everytime I stopped. Good thing I brought chock blocks along. Only problem I had on the way back was when the gps took me a way I didn't want to go. Was trying to pay attention too many things at once, street signs, gps, the truck and I stalled it out at a 3 way intersetion. No restarting it, batteries were toast. Had a 30' tow rope, hooked it up my chevy 1/2 ton and had my buddy pull me across the intersection to a parking lot. Tired jumping with my truck, no go. So we pulled started and it started right up.

The 15.5/80 Michelins were taken off and put in the bed. The NDTs were put back on because he was worried about me having a blow out after I told him to leave them on the day before. I was more worried about having a blow out with the NDTs as some of the rears were really dry rotted. Come to find out when I put the Michelins on a few days ago that one of them had a sidewall puncture and had been attempted to be patched. No wonder he was afraid of a blow out, he had failed to mention that. If I had a blow out I would of never been able to change it out on the side of the road anyhow because he put the lug nuts back on with a 1" impact, over tightening them. I had to use a breaker bar with a 4' cheater bar and still had to put heat to the lug nuts to able to loosen them. I busted 2 breaker bars and ended up snapping one of the bud nuts in the rear trying to get them off.

Ended up with a ton of spare parts so I still think I made pretty well in the deal. I got a large tow bar that straps to the front axle, deuce jumper cables, spare tranny and transfer case, cargo cover, a rebuilt starter and generator, a spare dog bone, a spare like new vinyl insulated cab top, a front bumper, the ebrake, a box full of small assorted parts and tm manuels,10 NDTS and 6 90% 15.5 Michelins XL's all on rims. I needed a spare Michelin so I gess i'll make the patched tire a spare and try find a 15.5 Xl to replace that.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks