• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Golf cart ramps

goatijoe

Has any one made or know what I will need in length to build a set or ramps to load into the back of my m35a2? I don't know how long to make them or what boards I will need to make them work safely. The truck os still at stock height Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again Thomas

jpg

I'd contact Colin Kendrick at American Grating, LLC, 702-567-0303, sales@amgrating.com

They make a Molded Grating, General Purpose Resin, 2" deep, 2" square mesh, Yellow, Green or Light grey, Grit surface, 4' x 12' panel size = $520.00

I was looking for a couple of 6'X2' ramps that could hold 3,000 lbs each, as CUCV bridging material and sand mats. They said they can make me 4 22"X70" pieces, closed on all 4 sides, out of one of these 4'X12' panels. Presumably they could make you 2 22"X12' panels. You'd have to ask them what the weight capacity would be for whatever length you choose. You didn't specify the weight you want your ramp to handle.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Has any one made or know what I will need in length to build a set or ramps to load into the back of my m35a2? I don't know how long to make them or what boards I will need to make them work safely. The truck os still at stock height Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again Thomas
Make them LONG ENOUGH so the cart can pull the grade, ALL carts are different, which means they all can pull a DIFFERENT grade , also pulling the grade depends on ramp surface and wet or dry.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make the ramps short and use a ditch or a dirt embankment to load/unload. Although not always possible it is easier than trying to make a set of ramps to support a load and still be man portable.

Or end up like last year's Haspin when someone tried to unload an ATV out of the back of an M813 on a hill WITHOUT ramps. From our viewpoint said person rolling down the hill (without ATV) was priceless. (No one hurt.)

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some folding ramps I bought to get my ATV into the back of my Silverado. They claim to hold 1200lbs but each ramp says 600 lbs. The tailgate is 3 feet high and the ramps just about 8 feet. I will tell you this it is still a hold your breath going up and cutting nails with your but coming down. A golf cart does not have 4x4 and is going to need wide ramps and very long. Be careful you tube is full of ramp wrecks.

Attachments

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are some folding ramps I bought to get my ATV into the back of my Silverado. They claim to hold 1200lbs but each ramp says 600 lbs. The tailgate is 3 feet high and the ramps just about 8 feet. I will tell you this it is still a hold your breath going up and cutting nails with your but coming down. A golf cart does not have 4x4 and is going to need wide ramps and very long. Be careful you tube is full of ramp wrecks.

You're right James, I have a set of ramps for the ATV and my pickup and it is Mr Toad's Wild Ride every time I load/unload.

Tornadogt

If you want to modify the back of the bed you can store up to 12 feet of ramp (or anythings else) under the bed between the C-Channel that the bed is made of (just above and between the trucks frame..) Handy little extra compartment..

goatijoe

Make them LONG ENOUGH so the cart can pull the grade, ALL carts are different, which means they all can pull a DIFFERENT grade , also pulling the grade depends on ramp surface and wet or dry.
Yea the cart is a old gas so it has plenty of pep for pulling a hill. The thing I am worried about is how long so they it will not hang up when it tops the bed and does not high center while loading and I was going to make a channel so they can't jump over the sides if I could figure out what need is how to figure the angle I need to be able to go in without hanging it up. If I have to I will use a come along to pull them back in the truck and use a safety strap to keep them from floping back out and causing a disaster.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a piece of string and tape it to the end of the bed where the tail gate is. Have someone stretch it out to the ground and keep going till you have a angle that looks like it will work well then add some. lol My guess your looking at close to 16 feet.

goatijoe

Get a piece of string and tape it to the end of the bed where the tail gate is. Have someone stretch it out to the ground and keep going till you have a angle that looks like it will work well then add some. lol My guess your looking at close to 16 feet.
How would I figure up the top angle from high center so I have the clearance?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simulation

Put a couple of boards down onto a small platform about three feet high or so.

Drive the cart up and let it break over the edge and if it will clear you have the right angle, if not then use longer/shorter boards.

Yes, I do things the simple (and usually harder) way.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How would I figure up the top angle from high center so I have the clearance?
My guess would be through a practical application of Algebra & Geometry *ahem* er trigonometry. :cool:

**Deleted long explanation due to being incorrect**

My previously written fancy calculations would have been correct for going up and then back down again on the same angle of ramp, but not the flat bed of a truck.

Just use this online calculator:

http://www.raymondsocal.com/calculators/rampcalculator.html

Last edited:

jpg

from http://www.ridertailgate.com/securing-vehicle-using-tie-down-straps-s2/

Q. Why are some ramps arched and some ramps straight?
A. Arched ramps are required when you are loading and unloading low ground clearance vehicles such as Harley-Davidson Motorcycles or lawn tractors. If the ramps are long enough relative to the VBL wheelbase, the arch causes the trailing wheel or wheels to rise enough to prevent the vehicle from hanging up on the tailgate.

The downside of arched ramps is that while the slope is flatter on the upper end than a straight ramp, it is steeper on the lower end. See figure below.
loading-ramp-differences.jpg

You can build an arched ramp by gluing thin layers of plywood together while they're clamped into the arch shape you desire. Once the glue sets, they'll retain the arch shape. It also helps to give them a "spine" or 2, using longitudinal stiffeners shaped to conform to the arch.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Post a pic or tell us what kind of cart you have. Stock? I know a thing or two about carts and ramps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks