• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gonna get a Deuce... but which one!

Drunktank

G'day gents! Been reading and searching the site for while.... particularly looking for info on bobbing a M35. Seems like itll be a pretty easy job... just alot of HEAVY stuff to move around! Either way... Im building one this spring!

That being said... the things thats really been racking my brain is what do I get for the starting platform... A2 or A3. I dont know much about the different platforms other than an A2 is a manual and doesnt have power steering or a heater and a A3 is an auto, has tire inflation and power steering. What would you guys suggest as a starting point for a first time owner of a big green piece of steel?

Once bobbed, itd be mainly used for ****ing around town, hauling material, camping, bug out vehicle, and occasionally going out to dinner and parking valet. Seems that the A2s can be had for around $2k depending on condition and the A3s run around $7k. Is the extra 5K really worth it for what you get in the A3? My main concern is RELIABILITY of the engine and tranny for when I get out in the middle of no where and ease of repair incase something does go wrong. I imagine itd be possible to add power steering and a heater to an A2....

What do you guys think?

Thanks Gents!
~Ryan

Pinz25086

Just in shear numbers the A2 would be an easier vehicle to come up with. The A2 has a multi-fuel where the A3 does not. An A3 has a new Cat motor that will cost big bucks to repair compaired to an A2. There simply are more of them and parts are cheap. But the choice is up to you and what you can afford to do. Not many A3's bobbed yet so you would have a rather unique vehicle. All in all, do what makes you feel the best.

Wayne

wb1895

I'm not too fond of the CTIS system. If it breaks then parts are hard to come by. I also know that the CTIS is not very reliable, and tends to let one or more tires deflate during the night.

The A2 has Multi-fuel capabilities where the A3 does not. With diesel prices getting to be what they are I would go with an A2 and burn all the WMO, WVO, gasoline, ATF, ect that you want.

wsucougarx

You can get an A2 with a heater and an Air-O-Matic steering kit. Do you want the flexability of a Multi-fuel engine? (then A2) Do you want a manual transmission? (then A2), Do you want to spend around 2k-4k (then A2) Reliability is all dependant on PMS and how it was driven before you got it. If not treated corrected anything can crap out on you out in the middle of nowhere. Which leads me to another question, you want a platform with a huge availability of parts? (then A2)
So as you can see, I'm partial to an A2. I've paid close to A3 prices on a couple of my A2's for one reason...I just wanted an A2 over an A3. That's just me.

mudguppy

first off, welcome to SS - this is a good site with great info. finding it can be tough sometimes, though. become friendly with the search function at the top menu bar (between 'New Posts' and 'Quick links'). i almost always use the advanced search, and even them, the dang thing is so finicky that it can be a real bear to find previously answered questions.

the reason i'm saying this is because many folks here like you to spend a lot of time searching through old threads that may or may not have the answers you're looking for rather than posting a new thread. so this creates more dead-ends while you search. :D

anyway, my point is that there are many many many threads that already highlight the differences between the two. try searching something like 'A2 vs A3' or similar.

personally, i really like the character that an A2 has. that said, i'd gladly choose the A3 over the A2. some people swear they can't stand the looks; but with power [assisted] steering, fairly modern auto trans, singled tires, and a modern, reliable, powerful, and stout mechanical engine, i don't see how the looks thing can't be overcome. actually i like the looks. but i am more drawn to the fact that everything i don't like about the A2 is addressed on the A3.

plus, if it's a winch truck, the A3 is hydraulic over the A2's PTO system.

i think they both look great bob'd. and if you aren't doing much hi-way driving, than the non-overdrive A3 trans won't be much of a hinderance (slightly lower speed).

oh, and don't take this as gospel, but as far as reliability is concerned; i don't trust the A2 engine or trans as far as i can throw them. but that's just me. i'd say an A3 is 1000 times less likely to leave you stranded due to catastrophic failure that can't be BDAR'd. eveyone says the A2 is reliable if you due proper maintenance. these folks are silent when a meticulously cared for engine windows the block. this happens more often than folks think.

2cents

edit: man i type slow....

Last edited:

Blood_of_Tyrants

I have an A2 with Air-o-Matic power assist steering and a heater. I have considered the A3 but expensive to repair Cat engine (even though it should need to be repaired often) and the lack of multifuel capability and the expense of the A3 put me off. If you go GL and wait for one near you, you can get an A2 with winch for half the price of an A3.

mudguppy

don't forget to add $1k+ to add air-assist to an A2 for a more apples-apples comparo.

i'd also be $2.00 that you'd spend more going through multiple multifuel motors than the rebuild or replacement cost of the one Cat.

the last thing that i'd challenge is the multifuel ability - many folks are running WVO and WMO blends through modern, non-MF designed, diesels successfully. i think unless one wanted to run some oddball gasoline mixes, the true MF characteristic is more of a mute point today.