• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good Cleaning agent?

chesapeake

I have a starter bracket coming in this week and I have been gathering up the bolts to install it. I have no idea the last time one was on it. I picked up the M8x1.25x20 for the bracket to block and it will not fit. It will go in maybe a 1/2 turn. I sprayed brake cleaner up there and nothing. I tried a 5/16 bolt and a M7. Nothing. The M7 made it maybe 4 turns. I am going to try to get some purple power in there tomorrow and some more brake cleaner. Anyone have any other ideas besides running a tap through it

Thanks

Ted

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Air gun.

Keith_J

Try an old bore brush. Bronze. I keep my old, worn-out ones for this purpose. A worn-out .30 caliber one will work fine on this application. Run it wet with solvent, then flush with WD40 or the like.

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get a piece of coat hanger wire, and make a small L on one end, so that the "L" will fit onto the bore. Push, rotate, pull, until nothing else comes out. Then clean with WD40, and chase the threads with a tap.

WEAR EYE PROTECTION...........

chesapeake

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will end up using them all when I get home. I have a ton of old bore brushes and a massive compressor. Eye protection is a definite. I need to degrease the underside. I am hoping to get it cleaned without having to drop the starter

MarcusOReallyus

Brake cleaner evaporates too quickly for deep crud. If it's been open for.... (years?) it's probably got some pretty solid gunk in there. An engine degreaser would work better - let it sit overnight to really soak in.

I'll second the motion on the bore brush!

chesapeake

Not to mention my hand and arm felt like I had submerged them in ice water while using brake cleaner!!! I will report later tonight and let ya'll know how it is going

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have a pressure washer like my new one if you could get the wand close it is getting cleaned out. It cleaned off rust and crap that have been on my mower for over 20 years that my other wouldn't touch. It also takes paint off to bare metal and I'm not too sure it isn't cutting metal as well. ;-)

chesapeake

My neighbor has a steam cleaner I am going to use along with a degreaser to clean the engine undercarraige. It is just a matter of hooking it to the tractor and bringing it down

chesapeake

Rewrite,

I took a .30 cal bronze bore brush and twisted it in the threads. A haze of rust dust came out. I squirted PB blaster in there and worked it with the brush. I cleaned it with brake fluid. I then sprayed an orange kitchen degreaser in the threads and let it sit for a 10 mins. Then worked it with the bore brush again (I cut the tip of the brush off since the brisles were mashed down). Cleaned it with brake cleaner and repeated the degreaser (this time some of the brissles fell off and lodged in there). I trid to the bolt and only got a couple of turns. I took a M8 x 1.25 tap and through a combination of the tap handle, my hands and a pair of pliers, I got the hole cleaned. I would turn it till it became hard and then clean the hole and tap with brake cleaner. I would spray the tap with WD40 and go again. After three hrs, the bolt fit. I had to drop the starter a little to get the bracket on. I used all Grade 8/meteric equivalent harware. I put a lock washer on the bracket to block bolt and a washer and lock washer on the bracket to starter stud. I took it for a 20 min ride, but didn't have the time to check the install. I will check tonight and go pick up new starter bolts since these have been on without the bracket

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks