• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

good idea or am I crazy

Coldpan35

Basically just want some options on my project idea. I am in the process of restoring my 1971 m35a2 back to a vietnam era truck only with a very tough paint job. What I mean is completely coating the truck in por15 then top coating it with aervoe 24084. I have the bed stripped down to bare metal and scuffed so the coating will stick to it. I've read reviews of por15 and most are good. Has anyone else done such a thing or would just rustoleum primer and aervoe paint be good?

67Beast

Why bother with the Por-15. I've heard of people having problems with it pealing up if the prep work is not done per Por-15 instuctions. Also if you are doing a Vietnam era Army marked truck, the propper color is #24087. And most people tend to stear away from Aervoe paint as it tends to fade fast. Most have been happy using Gillespie paint available from Rapco or Army Jeep Parts. I would just use a good heavy primer like Gillespie's and then paint over it. My deuce was painted in 2005 with Gillespie #24087 over red oxide primer and has held up really well considering the truck does spend some time out in the weather during the summer months. Here is a recent pic from last weekend.

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This pinky-brown Goat is painted with Aervoe 24087 and black. You can see what the sun did to it in a couple of years.
The gun truck is painted with Gillespie 24087 and has also been out in the sun for several years.

I don't like to slag another man's product, so I'll let you look at the pictures and decide for yourself.

Cheers

Attachments

Coldpan35

Ok so maybe I'll just use the por-15 as a undercoating and use self etching primer on the rest of the truck. Thanks guys for your thoughts I'll start posting pics of the truck as soon as I can.

OD_Coyote

Over the last 40 years I have used rustoleum primer with good results. I used POR15 on one project about 15 years ago and it did not adhere as well to the non-rusted metal as well as I had hoped.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks