• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good News/Bad News from the radiator shop

Barrman

My Gasser had a radiator that held water under pressure just fine when I got it. I poked a hole in it putting the winch on the truck back in the summer. It was good enough to let me move it around the property and I have been planning this "work weather" rebuild for most of the year so I left it alone. I did pull the radiator from my parts truck and it wouldn't even hold water from a garden hose without it streaming out.

I took my "good" radiator to the radiator shop last week. I got home to a voice mail from the owner saying they can patch my leak, but a new one springs up somewhere else. They fix it and another one shows up. Basically, it is too thin inside to work. My wife took that to be bad news. Money wise it is. But, I would rather find out about this now instead of 100 miles from here in the middle of the summer. So, it is kind of good news too.

Gasser radiators are different than multifuel ones. I have not seen a good Gasser radiator for sale ever I don't think. The machine shop guy was telling me in the voice mail that he is going to look around for a core that comes close to the same size as mine that he can make a new radiator from using my tanks.

Anybody know of or have a good Gasser radiator? Or, does anybody know of a core that would be the same size as a Gasser unit? Considering they are all going to be 50 years old, I will probably not buy a used one unless the price is crazy low. I am more looking for a price range to tell the guy to keep it below since it seems to me that a new core will be better in the long run by far than a used one.

Thanks

DanMartin

You might consider getting a custom radiator made. Something with newer materials and not some 30+ year old pull.

Tons of places on the net that will build you one...especially if you can send them the old rotten one as a template.

I'll bet it would cost you *less* to build a new one than to find a used one that may be questionable. Being that the gassers are different/older/rare you are in even more of a position to look towards a re-pop.

I think that these trucks are getting old enough that we should all start thinking about reproduction parts now. Radiators especially seem to be a sore spot and seeing that some people are spending upwards of $700 for *pulls* this seems like a good place to start.

This is just my opinion.

Crazyguyla

the main diffrencew between the gasser and multi ful radiator, that i know of, is the location of the filler neck and top hose connection. The OMS shop I worked at had some NOS gasser radiators. One of the older techs swapped the filler neck and top hose inlet around. I'm pretty sure a multifuel radiator could be done the same way to fit on the gasser.

nattieleather

Seeing that the mounting and the size of the radiator is basically the same between the gasser and the multi, after all they didn't change the front sheet metal, I would think you could get a core out of a multi and make it fit the gasser no?

Barrman

Thanks for the info guys. I got a few PM's about this as well. I will call the radiator shop in a little while and discuss the multifuel swap option, his opinion on old or NOS Gasser radiators, and new core options. I will let you guys know what I find out.

Thanks again.

Barrman

His thoughts on take out radiators is "what makes them better than the one you brought me. It worked until you put a hole in it with the winch, right?" Yeah, he is correct.

NOS ones he was concerned about where they have been living for the last 50 years. Middle of the Plains, then no problem. At a place on the beach then forget it. Again, makes sense.

He told me $60 to swap the inlet/outlet on a multifuel radiator. But, "What makes those 30-40 year old ones better than the one you have already?" I didn't ask about the different mounting tabs and such the the multifuel one has figuring I can braze that myself. Price is right, but the two used multifuel ones I know about have had unknown mixtures of coolant in them for a very long time with no service. I could be in the same boat again.

His build a new radiator pitch was "If we have to build you one from a generic core, it will be around $600 because of the price increases recently on copper." That option won't happen.

Basically, clean sealed or dry storage NOS seems to be the best option for me. Probably for all you multifuel guys out there as well.

Now, all you guys that posted above about possible take out ones. Just hold on until I exhaust all the NOS ones I can find out about. I might be sending you a 40 question PM in a few days.

Sarge

Radiators

Tim, I have gone through 4 multifuel take-out radiators in the last few years. I have also fixed several by soldering the seams shut. (I don't have brazing equipment) Good take outs here cost about $250 with a 30 day warranty. I finally got fed up when my last radiator sprung a leak. I ponied up the cash for a new one from White Owl parts.
Brand new, US manufacture. Shipped to Austin with no shipping damage. In one day. ONE DAY!
George at White Owl parts was great, talk about customer service! Great communication!
I know that this might not be of any help to you, but heck, I felt like writing something, and it does give you another option. Also, a plug for a business that seems to really care is always worth reading on Steel Soldiers.
I am not at all familiar with the gasser radiators, but a telephone call would answer that question.
Off-topic, but worth mentioning.... Your 715 is AWESOME!
-Sarge

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what your saying is that my brand new, never in a truck, still in the box M35A2 radiator I paid $125 for at Gilbert was a deal?????? :)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Keep rubbing it in!

Elwenil

Hell, I can't get a radiator for my '88 Ramcharger for $125!

Tim, I'd give sarge's idea a run-through and see where that ends up. If nothing else it will give you a price of a new one to compare prices and see if the used and NOS ones are worth the risk. It may be worth it to pick up a new multi-fuel radiator and have the inlets swapped in the long run. Another thought is to visit a radiator shop and see if you can dig through their catalogs. I know I used to find acceptable retrofits fro trucks when I worked at a regular parts store by just matching up the overall size and inlet/outlet positions. I'd exhaust all possibilities before shelling out $600, lol.

MilitaryRestoration

radiator for 125 a GREAT deal...when stuck in cali with the truck and the punctured radiator i posted about earlier, i just about paid 1000.00 for one and i'm sure they gave me that price because they knew I needed it...some people will defin. burn when they die for the crap they put others through.... ps got any more for 125?