• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good or bad idea...

bpj911

So, I bought a deuce about 425 miles from here. Going to drive it home. I want to drive my POS astro cargo van over to the deuce and put the van in the rear of the deuce for the trip home. It appears that the rear tires of the van will be on the tailgate. How can I make this work safely? Will the rear tailgate support the weight? I would obviously strap it in. Suggestions welcome.

wiggall

If it was me I WOULD NOT DO IT! I would take a codriver so if you break down you are not stranded. FTG2 Wiggles USS EDSON DD 946 1969-1973

bpj911

let me clarify

I am not concerned about the deuce and it making it here. the only thing I am asking is if the tailgate can take the weight really. I was considering some 14 foot long 2 x12 or something to drive the van on to keep some of the weight forward of the tailgate. Obviously the deuce can handle the weight of the van overall. 4K pounds...

BMS07

I have to agree with wiggall. I would not put the van in the back.That way if you have problems you have means to get around. Brad

bpj911

geez oh petes. Tell me about the tailgate. I am unconcerned about the truck or myself making it home. I have done way longer trips than this and can fix whatever happens with tools or a credit card. I just want to hear about the tailgate weight capacity mostly.

Westech

CPL
no way the tail gate will tare where the chains hook up. Ok put it this way.. I have a M813 5 ton with a 14 foot bed, my Honda civic in the back I could not close the tail gate. Your going to stick a Astor van in a 12 foot bed. Dude its just not going to work. I will post pic in a min

bpj911

Am I not saying this right? I measured the van and the rear wheels will be on the tailgate. i recognize the tailgate will not close. I am fine with that if the tailgate will support the weight of the van.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When me and Freightrain went to Arkansas to recover three deuces we put my Ford Ranger in the back of one. I flat towed one deuce with another and FT drove one.
We backed up to a loading dock and loaded the truck nose first into the deuce. The rear axle Ranger did not sit on the tailgate but it was close.
I agree that you need a support vehicle on the ground in case of a break down.
If you decide to put the van in the deuce you can put some 2x8's under the front and rear wheels running from the front of the bed to the tailgate.
That would give you some support.
Just my 2cents.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What Richard said. Deuce tailgates are flimsy at best, no way it would support the weight of the van's rear axle on it.

54reo

The Deuce tailgate (or chains) will more than likely not support the weight of your "POS Astrovan".

(Am I saying that right?)

bgekky3

Get some 2 by 10s or 2 by 12s that are longer than your wheelbase. Put them in the bed and drive the Astro on them. It will take some weight off the gate. You might want to try it out on the ground over some bricks or something before you try it in the bed. Maybe jack it up and put stands before the gate. You can also go to Harbor Freight and buy a tow bar for $50.00 and put a pintle on the end instead of the ball. Another idea is to get a Toyota and cut off the bed and back it in. That will fit. Not sure if anyone tried anything like this before, but sometimes you have to think outside the box. Good luck and post the recovery picks. My recovery went bad. Camera broke, truck broke, etc. eventually I got it home.

dburt

If you are determined to do it, you better get some long 2X12's and double them up on each side, long enough so that the front wheels are resting on the front end, and the rear tires are on solid wood on the back. 14-footers should do it. Post pictures if you make in home ok. And be sure and strap and chain the van in really well, you don't want it coming forward into the cab in case of a sudden unintended quick stop.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks