• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good or bad idea...

Oldgrunt

Let me get this straight, your going to load your van in the bed of the Deuce with 14' long 2x12's? I would love to be there to see this. You should bring someone along to take pictures.

bpj911

Van

That's not what happened. I just loaded it up in the truck, strapped it down and drove the truck home. Pretty exciting. It turns out I don't really measure that well. The rear tires were in the bed, not on the tailgate. Not that exciting. That being said, it's still a long ways.

BugEyeBear

"bpj911" please don't let this thread sour you on your new Deuce ownership, or this website.

Despite the ribbing you have received, and the sometimes "less than tactful" opinions that were dispensed, I'm certain that most EVERY SS member who participated in this thread would gladly pull over & offer you assistance if they ever saw you pulled over on the side of the road with a break-down or other problem.

It is much easier to "thrash" someone or judge their ideas and abilities prematurely over the internet than it would be in person. (Although I do have to admit that even my BEST friends have been known to give me a healthy face-to-face ration of shyt on more than 1 occasion.) I'm certain that the comraderie of the common interest we all share would temper the aggresiveness of some statements and opinions IF these interactions were occuring face-to-face.

There is a HUGE quantity of knowledge and advice available here for the asking.
Usually this is happily dispensed for free.
Occasionally the charge for this resource is a ration of criticism.

I hope to hear more about your acquisition in future posts...

"Cheers!"

dburt

Goodness, gracious- with all the hot air we have expended on this thread, the poor guy could have filled a big hot air ballon and floated his truck home! Oh well, it has made for some interesting reading.

BugEyeBear

I'd nominate BugEyeBear for Secretary of State, but...he probably didn't vote for him, either...
<LOL> :lol:

Thanks, but that's gonna be ONE TOUGH JOB for whoever gets it!!
(I wonder if it comes with a pension....)

Our new President-elect and his cabinet-in-waiting have a VERY tough job ahead of them. I hope they are able to improve things a bit.... Things gotta get better....

(sorry, a bit off-topic...) aua

rizzo

Some folks here need to get out and actually experience something before they say it can't be done and done safely.

that never happens on the internet.

take some blocks and put them under the frame so if the tailgate fails the van will be held up by the blocks. In fact, jack up the rear and support the whole back end on the blocks. I think when you hit bumps and it adds extra weight to the gate it will fail. Using the blocks would prevent that.

good luck

littlebob

"bpj911" please don't let this thread sour you on your new Deuce ownership, or this website.

Despite the ribbing you have received, and the sometimes "less than tactful" opinions that were dispensed, I'm certain that most EVERY SS member who participated in this thread would gladly pull over & offer you assistance if they ever saw you pulled over on the side of the road with a break-down or other problem.

It is much easier to "thrash" someone or judge their ideas and abilities prematurely over the internet than it would be in person. (Although I do have to admit that even my BEST friends have been known to give me a healthy face-to-face ration of shyt on more than 1 occasion.) I'm certain that the comraderie of the common interest we all share would temper the aggresiveness of some statements and opinions IF these interactions were occuring face-to-face.

There is a HUGE quantity of knowledge and advice available here for the asking.
Usually this is happily dispensed for free.
Occasionally the charge for this resource is a ration of criticism.

I hope to hear more about your acquisition in future posts...

"Cheers!"
Just found this thread, but you said it better than I ever could.

littlebob

I can not believe I read through this whole thread waiting for the pictures quietly and patiently. I know you had to take pictures.
There is no way in the world that I would do anything like this and not take pictures.

Come on be a sport. Share.

Rick in
Raleigh

bpj911

pics

Yeah, I really didn't take any. Forgot the camera for the trip. Then my help to unload showed up and I didn't want them to have to wait. It wasn't really that interesting really. It made it home no problem.

SR71BLACKBIRD

Ok, from a guy that does this stuff alot...... Take blocks to raise and support the rear of the van at the end of the bed and this will put the majority of the weight on the bed. The tailgate will support the weight of the rear axle and some spring but not much. Be careful, and if it falls off.... call the law and report it stolen.

Attachments

Last edited:

Big Mike's Motor Pool

Supporting Vendor
where is the pic of the m880 or whatever dodge it was sitting in the back of a deuce ? that had some kind of metal bracketry holding the gate up and bolted to the bed. the gates are pretty strong. if supported right by somthing other than the chains they can hold alot of weight. look at the way they are built, where the pins for the hinge go through is one peice of flat stock thats bent over and welded up the face of the gate from top to bottom. in order to rip that gate off the truck you would have to either shear off all the hinge pins or rip the whole back of the truck off. i will wholey agree with what many others said about the chains and hooks. i had ramps and used to load a suzuki samurai in the back of my truck for a novelty effect when takin it out wheelin. one place i went to i had the luxury of backin into a sand hole that had a perfect wall to use as a loading ramp. i never had the gate suspended when loading with the ramps, but i had it suspended when loading with the sand hole and i blew the hooks strait the first time i went to put the samurai back in the truck.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks