• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GOOD RECOVERY Got my 003a and 116a2 home

warlord381

Well this recovery went really well! Pulled my new M116a2 and MEP003a home with my 1/2 ton Dodge Ram (about 129 miles). WOW, this is a nice pulling trailer! With the weight I was expecting to be shaken the whole way but there were times I forgot that trailer was back there. Huge thanks to coyotegray for advising me on the short safety chains. Yep, had to put my own on boy am I glad I had those! Also a big thanks to Joe (the GL rep at Lansing) for helping me get hooked up. There were no less than four cops that drove by me looking at how I had the trailer hitched, LOL. I bought the rig sight unseen from GL in Lansing hoping for the best. I havnt really dove into the genny yet but I'm likin what I'm seein. The wheel hubs, filter housings, etc all have a AUG 04 date on them and the genny shows 24 hours. It was drained of all fluids (wished they hadnt done that). The tool box had all the tools, 9 sections of grounding rods, manuals, etc, and the jerry can brackets all had the straps! The exterior condition looks awsome and the underside of the trailer too. I cant wait to clean this and fire it up! Yes, yes, yes I will read all the manuals first and thanks again to all the SS members who advised me on what to consider for a successful recovery. (((check out the pics, I'm stoked!))) :jumpin:

Attachments

warlord381

When towing with a POV (privately owned vehicle) or civilian vehicle the safety chains are not long enough. You must bring some 5/16 chain, a couple master chain links and a couple hooks. Per Coyotegray's post "I have used 5/16 chain about 25" long. I just take a pair of bolt cutters, snip the old chain leaving the last link and replace it with the new one..

This is the pintle setup I have. It's off of a Hmmvw. Got it from Saturn Surplus. The mount was custom made..
It will rotate if your driving off road and not bind up..

Andy..
Attached Thumbnails

warlord381

I didnt cut the existing chain. Instead I attached the new safety chain on the first link and duct taped the existing chain to the trailer. (I intend to tow this later with my CUCV and Duece) Also, the spare tire was a good idea, I didnt need it but you never know, the size is LT235/85R16, the GMC 8 lug wheel.

warlord381

Ok, so I've been reading all the threads on hooking this up to the house and I'm seeing some amazing things. Once I get this all serviced up and running like a diesel watch I intend to have a buddy (electrician) come out and set me up with an exterior switch box and hook up. WHY DOSNT EVERYBODY HAVE ONE OF THESE? Forget cigarettes and booze, I'm addicted to OD iron... LMAO, I better give my old lady my credit card...

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, so I've been reading all the threads on hooking this up to the house and I'm seeing some amazing things. Once I get this all serviced up and running like a diesel watch I intend to have a buddy (electrician) come out and set me up with an exterior switch box and hook up. WHY DOSNT EVERYBODY HAVE ONE OF THESE? Forget cigarettes and booze, I'm addicted to OD iron... LMAO, I better give my old lady my credit card...

Congrats on the score...looks like you done good.

Also, my thanks to you on realizing you don't have the proper training/knowledge to attempt the hook-up yourself and are going to employ the help of a qualified electrician friend.

I don't know why everybody doesn't have two of them!!!!! [thumbzup] It seems that since I joined this forum the number of generators being bought up by our members has been steadily climbing. I'm glad to see that they are going to good homes and not the scrap heap. If I can be of any assistance to you feel free to ask.

warlord381

Thanks Speddmon, **** I'll be the first to acknowledge I dont have the knowledge to mess with this kind of power. Better to let the experts school me. I have a feeling I'll be asking lots of questions in the coming weeks. Engines are easy enough, but electricity scares the **** out of me. The electricians in the world chose to study up and I'll be happy to listen!

Preacherboy

I'd like to get one of those, but I will have to save up a lot more! Our house is alread wired up for a generator, so when the power goes out I am always on the phone begging someone for one. If I had one of these babies I wouldn't be begging anymore.

warlord381

I think Preacherboy is about to make another GL purchase.... If you look at the price of a comprable civilian unit its a no brainer. $1500 and about 1 gallon of diesel per hour, plus you get a military rated genny. Sorry brother, but you have to do it. Your already wired for a genny hook up, why not? ((( Oh, and don't tell your wife I said all this))) LMAO...

coyotegray

Well this recovery went really well! Pulled my new M116a2 and MEP003a home with my 1/2 ton Dodge Ram (about 129 miles). WOW, this is a nice pulling trailer! With the weight I was expecting to be shaken the whole way but there were times I forgot that trailer was back there. Huge thanks to coyotegray for advising me on the short safety chains. Yep, had to put my own on boy am I glad I had those! Also a big thanks to Joe (the GL rep at Lansing) for helping me get hooked up. There were no less than four cops that drove by me looking at how I had the trailer hitched, LOL. I bought the rig sight unseen from GL in Lansing hoping for the best. I havnt really dove into the genny yet but I'm likin what I'm seein. The wheel hubs, filter housings, etc all have a AUG 04 date on them and the genny shows 24 hours. It was drained of all fluids (wished they hadnt done that). The tool box had all the tools, 9 sections of grounding rods, manuals, etc, and the jerry can brackets all had the straps! The exterior condition looks awsome and the underside of the trailer too. I cant wait to clean this and fire it up! Yes, yes, yes I will read all the manuals first and thanks again to all the SS members who advised me on what to consider for a successful recovery. (((check out the pics, I'm stoked!))) :jumpin:
You did really good. Most of the M116 Cargo covers I have come across are trashed.

Check the filters (Air/oil/fuel) even if you don't plan on changing them. Sometimes they are missing..

Get anything in the tool box..?

Andy..

warlord381

Andy,

The cover is awsome! Why can't I have this kinda luck on the lottery? Yes! All the tools were there! A sledge hammer, slide hammer, manuals, lots of grounding rods, another slave cable end, I can't believe it! I'll check the filters in the AM, if I have time I'll look at the fuel tank too. I hate it when they drain them. Does anyone have a suggestion for batteries? Something that would fit the existing bracket?

Panic_button, 500 miles is a long way. I think they were all on M116 trailers. You need to really check the tires out before hand. And absolutely have a spare! If using a civilian vehicle I don't think you'll have trouble but plan a few stops to check things out. Oh, and have longer safety chains like Coyotegray suggested (5/16, 25" long). Man that was a lifesaver!

mistaken1

Sweet score! When you fire up the generator DO NOT idle it, take it straight to service speed. You may know that already but I thought I would mention it just to be safe.

Someone on here (I apologize for not remembering your name) mentioned using lawn tractor batteries. I am thinking I will try that. Wally world has some batteries that will fit. Here is a link to a handy size chart.

BCI Battery Group Size Chart