• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

good replacement glowplugs?

Sasquatch

Don't use Wellman's (Diesel Rx) like the Wiki says, seems the preferred plugs are the ac60g's or the bosch ones, don't know the number but a search should bring them up.

And yes, it has been covered a ton before, if you are trying to find something using search sometimes it can help to go into "advanced search" and search only the thread titles instead of the whole post. That usually seems to bring up more helpful results.

Matt65

OMG! I just realized why all the old timers always say do a search. I like ac60g's...congrats on your new vehicle.
AC Delco 60Gs all the way. Search for the Resistor bypass as well if you don't plan on using the slave receptical to jump start.

I don't mind the questions, and love to share information that I (may) know. However, I like to field all the easier questions that I can so that our high-level Technical Guru's are left free for the more difficult issues. Otherwise it's like using a sledge hammer to drive a finishing nail! :hammer:

sschaefer3

AC 60g's and here is a pic of the bypass resupplying the glow plugs with 12v. Follow the red wire at the top of pic.
Do you just add the red wire? Or do you remove, replace or modify something that is already there. I searched even just the titles, but this post has the best picture, the one you posted here.

cucv1833

Do you just add the red wire? Or do you remove, replace or modify something that is already there. I searched even just the titles, but this post has the best picture, the one you posted here.
You first disconnect the 24v resistor from the GP-relay. Then you add a 12v feed to the relay. In rabelts pic he added his feed from the 12v junction block. In my conversion i ran a 8ga. wire from the front batt. pos. Both are good methods. I also have the AC60G due to all the good reviews.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you wire the momentary push button as Warthog described, you can use an inexpensive under 20 amp rated pushbutton.

Do not switch the whole load of all the glowplugs with the button, just the relay coil ground.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I initially did my GP bypass, the switch I got from NAPA couldn't handle the load. I installed this one, and it works perfectly
Did you install the switch in the power lead for the glowplugs?

P.S. W we are not allowed to post links to any active ebay listing unless it is your own.

I just tapped into the blue wire in the gp control card and ran it to ground.

I understand the active e-bay policy as well. The logic behind it is that folks may be bidding on it and it could skew the bidding process. I was just pointing out an example of the switch I used. The one I posted above was actually where I got it, and costs around $3.

Either way, I just wanted to point out that the switch does have to be up to the task, and for the overkill protection of the 60amp push button, and for the price, it's good insurance to get it right the first time. If I wasn't paying attention, I could have fried my plugs pretty quickly with the NAPA switch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks