• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

good source for brackets/hardware for airlift bumper?

blutow

I've got an NOS bumper on the way, it seems they are widely available for pretty cheap. I'm struggling to find the mounting brackets for a reasonable price. I'm just looking for the basic brackets, not the reinforcement stuff for towing. Seco has a kit for $425 ($545 with the hardware) which would be the easy way out I guess. I looked on ebay and could piece it together a little cheaper, but not much cheaper and some of the options look like aftermarket.

Any guidance on good source?

Here's the seco kit i'm considering:
https://secoparts.net/collections/h...kle-m1123-m1114-humvee?variant=42297627672789. The hardware kit (just nuts and bolts and washers) is a $120 add-on, which seems really crazy until you start pricing big grade 8 hardware right now.

blutow

There are 2 versions of airlift bumpers, so make sure you get the right stuff for the right bumper.
Thanks. Yes, I have the A2 version coming with the inner holes for the shackles.

I found this article from gear report that does a nice job highlighting the parts needed and also a hardware list. Saves a little TM search time.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tractor supply grade 8 coarse thread by the LB is a great deal if one close to you.

Just a thought if you are at it. Consider getting the mud flap kit and bumper reinforcement plate and do it all at the same time. You will need longer bolts for those holes. I have seen the mud flaps on Epay and I got my reinforcement at Equipment parts in Pa.

Greg 86humv is a potential source for brackets. I got some of mine way back from him.

An extra set of hands is real handy when playing with all the pieces.... Don't ask me how I know....

Last edited:

blutow

Also, just to confirm - I believe the rear shackles ( 12447089-2 ) for the airlift bumper are not the same as the shackles on the rear of my m1123 ( 12447089-1) , so I assume I need those, right? It looks like the 12447089-2 has a longer stud.

blutow

For anyone looking to pull together all the required brackets together - I believe this is the parts list below. This is for the basic A2 setup (not reinforced for towing and does not include the outer "airlift" shackles).

2 rear shackles (This is just for an A2 version of the bumper) 12447089-2
2 outer bumper brace brackets 12339186
1 left outer bracket 12446989
1 right outer bracket 12336990
4 spacers 12338164
2 inner brackets 1244699

I'm pretty sure that is the right stuff based on the parts diagrams, but I'm not sure if it varies by year, etc. The diagram I was looking at was for an A2 truck and bumper, so I'm hoping it all works for an A2 bumper on my M1123. I still need to figure out the hardware stuff, I think it's all 1/2" hex bolts, just need to figure out length. The gear report article has a hardware list, but it includes hardware for reinforcement plate and extra support brackets I believe.

Action

For anyone looking to pull together all the required brackets together - I believe this is the parts list below. This is for the basic A2 setup (not reinforced for towing and does not include the outer "airlift" shackles).

4 spacers 12338164
2 inner brackets 1244699

I'm pretty sure that is the right stuff based on the parts diagrams, but I'm not sure if it varies by year, etc. The diagram I was looking at was for an A2 truck and bumper, so I'm hoping it all works for an A2 bumper on my M1123. I still need to figure out the hardware stuff, I think it's all 1/2" hex bolts, just need to figure out length. The gear report article has a hardware list, but it includes hardware for reinforcement plate and extra support brackets I believe.
They use 4 angled braces.

Snohomie

4 spacers 12338164
2 inner brackets 1244699

No clue. My REV came with both. I like all the angle braces in case i get rear ended (vehicle accident).
1/2x3.5” should work all around.

the highest stack up on the bumper is “plate, bumper, and inner”

I believe the plate and inners increase tow rating to 4200lbs. (With trailer brakes)

E20577FE-8F97-4B06-A5AD-D6A4A51C2A60.jpeg

blutow

1/2x3.5” should work all around.

the highest stack up on the bumper is “plate, bumper, and inner”

I believe the plate and inners increase tow rating to 4200lbs. (With trailer brakes)

View attachment 861205
I looked at the parts diagram and here are the hardware sizes listed -
Hex bolts-
8 - 1/2" x 4.25"
12 - 1/2" x 3"
2 - 1/2" x 3.75"
4 - 1/2" x 3.25"

52 1/2" flat washers
26 lock nuts (I'll probably use regular hex nuts with lock washers, hopefully there is enought extra length on all bolts to allow).

This is the hardware if you are not installing the 2 angled inner support arms or the reinforcment plate for heavy towing.

blutow

I looked at the parts diagram and here are the hardware sizes listed -
Hex bolts-
8 - 1/2" x 4.25"
12 - 1/2" x 3"
2 - 1/2" x 3.75"
4 - 1/2" x 3.25"

52 1/2" flat washers
26 lock nuts (I'll probably use regular hex nuts with lock washers, hopefully there is enought extra length on all bolts to allow).

This is the hardware if you are not installing the 2 angled inner support arms or the reinforcment plate for heavy towing.
Ignore those bolt sizes. I thought I had it right from the TM diagrams, but the 3" bolts were too short. You can get them to work barely, just not fully threaded. I don't know if I was looking at the diagram wrong or the TM was just wrong.

All you really need is 16 x 3.25" 1/2" bolts to attach the bumper. Tractor supply didn't have 3.25", so I used 3.5" and it was fine (a little tight in one spot). For all the bracket to frame connections, I just reused the existing hardware since it was in good shape.

Snohomie

Ignore those bolt sizes. I thought I had it right from the TM diagrams, but the 3" bolts were too short. You can get them to work barely, just not fully threaded. I don't know if I was looking at the diagram wrong or the TM was just wrong.

All you really need is 16 x 3.25" 1/2" bolts to attach the bumper. Tractor supply didn't have 3.25", so I used 3.5" and it was fine (a little tight in one spot). For all the bracket to frame connections, I just reused the existing hardware since it was in good shape.
yeah, that’s why I said “use 3.5” all around. I tried shorter and it wasn’t worth the time. If you use 3.25” the thread will be flush with a washer& lock washer combo.

With an assumption that 2 threads beyond flush is ideal, and 5 threads beyond is just barely “more thread than required” but we aren’t designing for optimal lowest weight design. :)

blutow

yeah, that’s why I said “use 3.5” all around. I tried shorter and it wasn’t worth the time. If you use 3.25” the thread will be flush with a washer& lock washer combo.

With an assumption that 2 threads beyond flush is ideal, and 5 threads beyond is just barely “more thread than required” but we aren’t designing for optimal lowest weight design. :)
Yeah, I thought I was being real smart by looking up the diagram and part descriptions to get the "right" bolts. I just wasted my time and an extra trip to TSC to swap bolts trying to overthink it..... You still need the 4.25's to connnect the brackets to the frame if you are not re-using your old hardware.

blutow

Using a washer, lockwasher, and nut could cause you to need a longer bolt than the factory washer and stover type nut.
You are probably right on that and 3" probably would have been perfect with OEM setup. The TSC washers are much thicker than the oem washers (x2) and I was using a lock washer instead of a lock nut.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks