• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good tarps?

serial14

All,

I'm interested in getting some good quality general tarps. I'm sick and tired of the normal stuff you find at Home stores that'll degrade in a year due to wind, weather, sun, etc. Seams like a quality tarp like they use on tractor trailers would be nice to have. But I've been unable to find anything.

Like I say, I want a tarp for general use, covering loads, covering vehicles, ground cover, etc. Size wise, something that'd cover a deuce bed. Does anybody have any suggestions on tarps & where to get them?

Thanks

RealCavDog

Your best general source would be an over the road trailer parts dealer, or even a Kenworth/Peterbilt dealer.

If they don't have what you need, they will know locally who makes and repairs them. Will usually be an awning type business.

If that doesn't work, call a few of the larger dump trucking or flat bedding folks in your area, not only will they know, they may have older used ones for sale that you can cut down !

3dAngus

Buy a tent from GL. Cotton duck covered in vinyl for weather. Always a good bet.

All different kinds of sizes. They tell you the sizes either in the writeup, or in the NSN listing.

DieselBob

I have purchased a couple tarps here to cover the generators and deuce cab. I consider them very good quality and have survived outside 24/7 for over a year now with now signs of any deterioration. 2cents

PeterD

There is a company called "ClearSpan" with a web site. The fabric they use for their (fabric) building makes excellent tarps, and they sell 'odd-ball' pieces at a great price (at least in their printed catalog). I've been using the stuff for years (got about 6K feet of it from an air-dome that was being replaced) and been using it for everything since. Indestructible but can be heavy for large pieces. I even made a 12 x 30 'carport' from the stuff!

Most is fabric reinforced plastic, very resistant to ripping.

scrapdaddy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought billboard sign tarps. The billboards you see along the road are tarps. When they change ads, they sell the old tarps for around 20 dollars. I think 42 x 14 but painted on one side and you have to cut to size. You can add grommets where you need them. Work good, very heavy

motomacguyver

I bought billboard sign tarps. The billboards you see along the road are tarps. When they change ads, they sell the old tarps for around 20 dollars. I think 42 x 14 but painted on one side and you have to cut to size. You can add grommets where you need them. Work good, very heavy

I have heard very good things about these, They LAST for years, however, they don't like to bend when its cold out.. below 32deg F. Sooo, put it over what you want to protect "wood pile?" and let it sit. If the tarp has to be moved during the dead of winter I wouldn't recommend these.

serial14

Thanks for all the input. There are some sources I would have never thought of. This is what makes this group so awesome. Any question is instantly answered with many options.

iam4thapack

I am contemplating buying a 20 x 30 military maintenance tent for a semi-permanent storage barn for one of my cars and my tractor/attachments. The idea of a tarp/billboard over the fabric is an idea that I think would make the original fabric last a long time. For the money v/s a metal carport type structure this would be a bargain even if it has to be replaced every 5 years or so... Thanks for the suggestion of the billboard tarps!

Chief_919

I sell new production, American made, OD green, heavy duty tarps in my shop.

Canvas Tarps

They are not cheap, but you get what you pay for with tarps, and these are worth every penny.

I can also get custom sizes made, but the lead time is several weeks.

scoutmanadam

you can get a pretty good deal at ag stores sometimes on the large tarps that they use to cover big stakes of hay with while it dries. i have used them before and they really hold up for there price. last one i bought was 50X50 for 80 bucks. i had that thing for about five years with no problems that werent caused by me doing stupid things with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks