• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goodyear MTR or BF Goodrich Baja TA?

melbatoast

I'm about to order my 4" lift from ORD and need some new rubber. Anyone have experience with the 37x12.50-16.5 H1 Surplus Goodyear MTR or BF Goodrich Baja TA? I have used the MTR before and loved them and am leaning that route, but would love some opinions about either. Particularly the Baja. I live in Colorado and most of my 4wheeling takes place in rocky, snowy, sometimes muddy terrain.

sschaefer3

The Baja is a special purpose tire for "Baja". There is no snow in Baja. The KM2 Mud would make more sense than the Baja. I have the MTR's Kevlar on my M1008, 37's.

zout

100_0262%20(640x480).jpgIf your speaking about the Goodyear MT/R Kevlar tires - somewhere in my jeep build threads in the forum I have
pics of them on the wife's M38A1 and Dinger65's jeep.

I love em. Monster Tire.

Last edited:
I wanted to try the Baja's but the MT/R's are more plentiful and easier to come by. I don't think either tire are that good in the snow but the MT/R's work nice in the mus and I'm happy with them so far.

Skinny

First, it is a Goodyear MT tread pattern which is completely different from both the older and newer MTR pattern. The older MTR pattern is what came stock on the first gen Jeep Rubicons. You can buy a 37" surplus MT and a retreaded MTR from TreadWright.

I have the older MTR tread on my 4Runner and they are great in everything except thick mud. Would buy again in a heartbeat. I have MT's on my M1031 but haven't really wheeled it hard so have no feedback on them other than they absolutely suck in light snow. I am happy with them but if I had to buy another cheap set of 37's I would go with the MTR TreadWright tire.

sschaefer3

I have a set of 35" old MTR's on a 2001 4Runner and they are not as good as the new Kevlar MTR's on my M1008, 37" and my 1990 Toyota PU, 31" in the west stuff as mentioned above. The new tries are outstanding in the wet stuff where as the old tires were not very good. The old tires did great then it was dry and the new ones do too.

In Ouray Colorado the new tread walked right up Poughkeepsie Gulch and the old tread slipped and slided.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks