• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Goodyear Tread Pattern

cbvet

I just realized that the two 1400-20 Goodyear AT-2A tires I just got have a somewhat directional pattern to the tread.
They're on 900 series wheels, both mounted in the same direction. I want to put them on the front of my M813.
Is there a reason I would HAVE to turn one tire around, or is it just a matter of how it would look?
Eric
CBVET

rizzo

I have a bunch of 1600R20 good years and they are not directional.

if you have directionals on the wrong way you can usually get out of trouble easier than you got into it

jason@snakeriver

I run 3- 800 series with directional radials. When they come in they were on every which way. Unless there is some reason to run them the correct way for hiway use and getting correct wear, I do not let it bother me for off-road. Tom

emr

if one were to buy directionals and not use them the correct way, V down point does the digging, this also makes it a very good if not the best self cleaner, it would be a waste of money and a better choice could be made, To buy a directional requires one to want the most traction a tire can have so its worth useing,If U are lucky enough to get em by chance they are awesome tires, The TM states on trailers for them to be mounted in a backwards direction this will increase the tire wear life, and has no need for traction on a trailer, Handling will be impared if on the "fronts" if they are not the same way, and stability also, if on the fronts and the tire not going in the driection it was intended will have a poorer or less traction on all surfaces, so yes it definitely makes a difference but one wont explode if done wrong most Military units have many trucks with tires going every way imaginable,I would take the time and money to re mount it to go the correct way, this way U will also have the same tire wear and wont end up with one balding first, and in a serious braking condition this can and will be dangerous, I have always loved tires, and spent many hours mudding just watching out the side of many a willys, I almost always ran directionls , watching the bud chunks flop up when going slow or just admiring the tread pattern in the mud itself, thats just me, ...Randy

emr

Oh and as for wanting to have even wear, Tires are expensive and worth a little maintanence I believe in and I always rotate my tires,and exorcise them try to run em monthly, I cross rears to front with no directionals on all trucks pickup and up,and with directionals just keep em on the correct side, it does make sense to get the most wear of ones tires, but I see having multiple trucks may just not be practicle to spend the time and money, but in the long run it may work out, its another individual thing, what works for U , my 3 cents this time...Randy

cbvet

Okay, now you guys have to keep a secret.
You see my wife still believes I'm the sharpest man on Earth & I don't want her to learn otherwise.
I guess the sun was in my eyes or something.
I was thinking about the Goodyear tires & looking at the Michelins.
The Goodyears are NOT directional.
End of discussion. Please?
Eric
CBVET