• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

goodyear wrangler tires

84cucv1ton

anyone else have these? seem like great tires. i have a few sets. sold a set to a guy i worked with. he has 50 psi in there. i know that is max load if your carry weight. he never does. i dont either. just a small trailer now and then. i have 35 psi in mine.

question i s running around with 50 psi in a empty truck. could the tires start to wear uneven or something??

thanks

raiburn

I run these on my jeep, I sarted at about 35 psi, but wanted a softer ride. Now I'm down to 15 psi, and they still ride the same, look the same, and flex the same. Maybe I should try zero psi... Or maybe a couple pounds of vaccuum instead?

hellrayzor1

I run Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar on my 1988 GMC Jimmy (Blazer). They run good, nice ride, good traction in sand and mud, not too loud but a nice 4X4 hum on pavement. I am very happy with them. Run em around 30 PSI.

Mark (Deuce newbie)

WyoDeuce

I have the goodyear wrangler mtr's on my wifes jeep. They came off my dad's rubicon when he lifted it. They are load range E are ride pretty rough on a lightweight jeep. They put them on the rubicons so they would resist sidewall punctures. They are wearing real well and I am really happy with them. I think if I put 50 psi in them they would beat me to death!:razz::razz:

12vctd

I have had very good luck with these tires in lighter vehicles the wear great and have good traction on wet and icey roads, but on my heavier trucks they just seem to dissapear guess the tread compound is too soft, the only 16 inch tire I have had any luck with last a long time is michelin LTX m/s thats why my 1 ton trucks run 19.5 rims and tires now, gets expensive when you put alot of miles on your truck. Also running a tire inflated at max psi can wear the centers out of the tire by balloning the tire, just as under inflated will wear the outsides faster, I try to put water down and drive the truck thru the water spot (chalk can also be used but im cheap) and see how the contact patch is at diff psi's, you will notice if 2 much air the outside tread will not leave a mark on the ground if too little the center will not. I use to inflate tires to what the mfg recomends on the door sill, but have found all tire have thier own niche for inflation pressures, when I started checking contact patches I was able to get alot more life from the tire, also with proper rotation I was able to really extend the life.

airmech

From my exp with my 88 F-250, I'll never use a goodyear tire on my truck again. It came new with the old Wrangler radial, replaced with the same, then RT/S and then 2 sets of the AT/S. I was constantly chasing shimmies and vibrations in the truck. kept the tires balanced and rotated regularly. After rebuilding the front end and all new brakes, I still had shimmies and the truck would shudder upon braking. I replaced the tires with timberline AT II's and the truck was like a different animal. I never expected those problems to be in the tire, but 35k miles later(almost 275k on the truck now) it still feels better than it ever did with goodyear's on it. just my 2cents.

kennyw

Typically if you run the tires at the max rating of the tire the tires will last longer, ride rougher, and give you better gas mileage.
The tires will wear out in the center first with over 50% tread left on the outside walls... The better gas mileage is due to less tire contact with the road, in turn you have less traction.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree with 12vctd, you can use chalk. Or just drive the animal for 2-3 miles and stop in a parking lot and note where the the road dust is. If you are not getting the dust to the outside of the tires, pressure too high. Dust all the way, either correct pressure or too low. Its just a trial and error thing. It does help if you start high and let the air out until you get complete coverage. Just keep an eye on them until you are comfortable. Ive been running 34Frt and 32 Rear (max air: 60PSI) on my BF Goodriches and get about 60-70K out of them.

If you can find nitrogen which i cant here in Alabama it will help with tire wear. Nitrogen rides cooler and isnt affected by the changes in temperature as much. I run nitrogen in my Bridgestone Duelers on my Hummer H3 and have had excellent results. I would put in the CUCV tires but i cant find it here.