• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gorilla (glue)Snot On Steering Wheel

Sarge29

I used the 1008 and tow bar to recover a nice 1009 today. I know that it has sat for a little over 2 years. The odometer is showing 13,878 miles and going by what I see, I think the mileage may be correct. The sun has taken a toll on the dash pad but everything else seems to be good. This thing runs and drives like new. Lots of power and smooth shifting transmission. But, What is this Gorilla (glue)snot looking stuff that is growing on the steering wheel?? I have seen it before but not as bad as this one. I think this stuff is oozing out of the steering wheel itself. Any ideas on cleanup?. Pictures to follow. It is too dark now to get a good picture and I didn't take a camera with me on the recovery.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a Ford steering wheel on a company van do that. I think it's just the plastic breaking down from sunlight or maybe undefined greasy grime from former users. I used steel wool to wear off the surface down to harder plastic.

biggestc69

I had a mid 80's GMC suburban that had sat for about a decade. The steering wheel did exactly what you are talking about. To load it up on the trailer I had to use gloves. I tried everything to get it off brake cleaner, goo gone, acetone all sorts of stuff. Never worked. My advice get a new steering wheel.

I've had a few vehicles that were like that...Including a little on my old M1008.

I think it's just a combo of skin oils, oils/glue/resin from the steering wheel construction braking down after years of touching, sun, wear, and temperature changes.

Steering wheel covers work...or a new steering wheel, there are aftermarket ones everywhere...

gem1410

go to wall mart and the the cheap spray can of water based engine degrease--spray the foam in your hand and rub it all over the wheel--let it sit for 15 min--wipe off with a towel --repeat a few times and the junk comes off / your hands also get real clean

Sarge29

You may be right Dolphin-Shooter, That CS gas was bad. A good dose of that stuff ( gas chamber) and the snot would really run from every opening in your body. Hotdogs151A2 I am going to make you a deal and a 1 time offer. First, last and only chance you will get to recover your snot rofl.

hotdogs151a2

Sarge29:
You have a deal. I will trade you a steering wheel (without snot) for your snoted steering wheel. I will deliver the good wheel to you but you have to get rid of the Gorilla shot wheel. That way you can't trick me into steering the snot wheeled 09 again. Deal?:popcorn:
Thanks, Pvt. Hotdog

ryan77

Its from people with dirty hands touching it and the plastic is breaking down due to the combo of chemicals from your hands and the sunlight. Ive had that on 2 of mine!

Sarge29

Hotdog,
I thought I would hang on to the snotted wheel just in case I have the opportunity to get you to steer another 09. You have done a great job in the past. It helps your old arthritic hands get a better grip on the wheel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks