• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got a few problems. Please help.

jimm1009

I'm with you on that Jtugwell. I would only stamp or re-stamp the number on the frame if you fail the first time.
If you have a VIN (actually serial number) on the data plate on the dash and it matches the Alabama registration and bill of sale then you should be good to go. Since they are ill-informed in the OMV then perhaps they will not think to ask for a second number stamped somewhere else.
The military changes all kinds of parts and there are probably 1 % or less of the surviving deuces that have all the original parts installed.
I'm sure there are a few that have even had the frame replaced too but I'm not an expert.

Good luck and let us know how things work out for your truck.

Jim :razz:

JTugwell

I'm with you on that Jtugwell. I would only stamp or re-stamp the number on the frame if you fail the first time.
If you have a VIN (actually serial number) on the data plate on the dash and it matches the Alabama registration and bill of sale then you should be good to go. Since they are ill-informed in the OMV then perhaps they will not think to ask for a second number stamped somewhere else.
The military changes all kinds of parts and there are probably 1 % or less of the surviving deuces that have all the original parts installed.
I'm sure there are a few that have even had the frame replaced too but I'm not an expert.

Good luck and let us know how things work out for your truck.

Jim :razz:

well the data plate is missing. i hear you though it would make it easier. maybe i can locate a data plate somewhere, and stamp in my own info. is a data plate something you can get?

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I would be very cautious about going that route. If you did this, it would be a felony in most states.

Do the right thing, the serial number is on the frame. Find it and then get the data plate made for that serial number.

JTugwell

I would be very cautious about going that route. If you did this, it would be a felony in most states.

Do the right thing, the serial number is on the frame. Find it and then get the data plate made for that serial number.
you dont think it will cause problems since the current registration wont match?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think that would be your VIN on the spring hanger. That's more than likely a casting number for the hanger.

A way to spot a repowered Gasser is some will still have gasser fenders ( the flat part of the fender top extends into the engine compartment) and one of the back engine mounts will be bolted in ( don't remember which one). alot of gassers will have Timkin axles instead of Rockwells also.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
you dont think it will cause problems since the current registration wont match?
There is only an issue if the frame number does not match the number on the title. If it doesn't, it depends on the state on how to get that fixed.

If a military registration number with serial number were together on a title, I wouldn't sweat that as much.

JTugwell

thanks ill check that. ill go buy some paint stripper tonight. on another note about my new noise that i suspected was the transmission. got under the truck yesterday to check the rear diff levels. one of the upper torque rods had fallen off. ive got the new ones just havent replaced them yet. maybe....hopefully....thats where my noise is coming from. i tore it apart this morning. any words of wisdom on how to drive the old ends out? i beat the lowers out with a mallet, but i cant get anything to the ones up top to really hit them. im talking about the ones behind the leaf springs. thanks a lot.

I am having an issue with my VIN as well, so I have been looking for the numbers on the frame. I found some just below the front spring hanger, and am trying to uncover them, but the paint is very thick. These, however, appear to be raised lettering.

Is the lettering stamped into the frame, or it raised lettering? Also, about how large is the lettering?

ETA: Ignore the lettering in red, I found the correct numbers, they are stamped into the frame rail. They correspond to the serial numbers of my vehicle, however, I thought they would correspond to the registration numbers, which are the first part of my VIN.

I believe that I screwed up by listing both the registration numbers and the serial numbers in my GL paperwork.

I have inquired about obtaining a corrected SF-97, but I am not sure if GL will let me. I know that if they do, I will have to pay another title fee.

What I am trying to accomplish is to be able to use my registration number as my VIN so that all I have to do is paint it on my bumper and not use tags, which we are allowed to do in LA. It is a one-time registration and is much cheaper than going through this every four years.

Hopefully this will all end well.

Thanks,

LC

Last edited: