• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got a new m1009

Saberr

I picked up my first cucv, and its an m1009. Been looking for few years, but seriously for past few months. Loving it so far, it even drove its self home, first mv i've ever had that hasn't required a trailer. Aparently its been in california its whole life, so no rust except a little on back tailgate. Came with the antenas and radio equip (minus radio). Removed thats stuff for the extra room, and so i can park it under my over hang. Its almost completely stock, just has different rims , and 1 nonfucntiong power seat.

So far besides removing radio equipment, im in the process of changing fuilds, got all windows and handles to work. Still need adjust shift needle pointer, tried below nut but didn't work. I also got new window seals , and seat belts on order. Going to try and recondition the dash my self. Only other major issue, besides the diesel and oil soak old carpet, is it pulls to left, needs an alignment. In process of looking for two new front seats since ones from blazer and passsengers is broke, and 2 battery hold downs. I'm sure i'll find more. Playing with idea adding a/c in future, hey i live in california.... its a desert.
20200616_142912.jpg20200617_100133.jpg20200617_100116.jpg20200617_100122.jpg20200617_100145.jpg20200617_100108.jpg20200617_100228.jpg20200617_100213.jpg20200617_100353.jpg20200617_100249.jpg

cucvrus

Very nice. A little TLC and you will have a nice unit. Parts are available. Shipping is the biggest expense. I hope you can find stuff locally. I have nice back seats but am on the east coast. Good Luck. Be Safe.

Saberr

Did some more work today. OIl change and air filter change, filter 85% clogged. Then i found out the horn wasn't working, swore tested and worked when i picked it up. Anyways after quite a bit of forums searching i found the horn schematics and found out the supressor before horn was bad, cut it out. and then i found my whole horn relay was missing...huh. Got new relay in and horn now working. Also narrowed my speedo not working down to the speedometer gear, belive its too short and not engauging.

Was interested in finding out there is a lift support on the back of the rear seat to hold in uprgiht possition, never heard or saw that in all my research. Tomorrow plan to rip out the old filtyh carpet, been kinda putting it off. Hoping to get on dash soon, but trying to get all mechanical sorted first. Anyone know of a way to keep the shift inicator clip on bottom of the shifter colum to stay ? mine keeps moving when shift over to 1 or 2nd.

cucvrus

I have the parts you need. Just give me a PM. I can get that gear from a parts transfer case. And the support I have that. I probably have every part you need and I am winding down operations here and only have 2 M1009's to complete till I hang up and liquidate all my CUCV parts. Send me a message and we can discuss terms. Take Care.

Saberr

yep, i belive the inside of my speedo gear may be stripped just enough that the cable doesn't engauge anymore. Looks good and engages the cable if i really push the gear onto the cable. Also found out i can start my truck withough a key now, guess just added new ignition lock to my list..

Saberr

SHould have quit while i was ahead. This time i get to give partial blame to cucvrus lol. Got a new regular ignition lock and test fit it, worked. Then i read above and checkec for coded cylinders and saw alot of how to re tumble. So i switched the tumblers so i wouldn't have to re-key. All worked untill i put last locking piece in and now lock will not turn..... Well fortunitly it wasn't installed and parts store will have another one monday afternoon.

I was able to confirm my brake fuild is dot 5, with water test. Now i see why people cry , that stuff is expensive, $10 for 12 oz. Deff going to change to dot 3 or 4 when i have to do a brake job. Tomorrow i'll been taking the dreaded carpet out. Putting my radio equip that came with it (minus radio) for sale, got an offer from a guy localy and he offered $35 for the whole lot.... yaaaaa,,, nope. I'll find a use for my big arse antena alone for $35.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Wow I bet you made that Guys day. The equipment you had is hard to find in having it so complete. You are happy and he is also, good deal.

The antenna and brackets can be used for CB radio's after conversion. If you do some off roading or on roading the CB does come in handy.

cucvrus

Just stick with the DOT5 fluid. It isn't like you need to change the fluid every 5K miles. Do the brake system right the first time and it will last another 30 years. I doubt you will have it in 35 years. I always stuck to the DOT5 and never had any issues. Changing to DOT3 not worth the effort. And I offered the CUCV coded cylinder. I threw a 5 gallon bucket of them away a few years back. I used to change everyone. Then I figured what's the point. No one is going to steal my CUCV. Good Luck. I hope it all works out for you.

Saberr

HEy mule, i didn't sell any of the equipment, i refused the offer. ya virus i agreee if done right don't have to mess with it again, and someone already replaced the m/c, that whay threw me, it saids used dot 3 only. Fortunitly i only had to top it off. lol ya i'm not that worried they will steal is becouse it has cucv locks.

Saberr

Well more progress. Got the carpet out, found rust in passenger floor board. Trying to determin how far to go on the rust repair. Would love to have new passenger floor pan, all the ridges kind of scare me to recreate. No donor vehicles around me. There was tons of oil under the carpet, going to have to degrease the whole thing. At least now it won't smell like diesel and oil inside like it did. Did find out when they replaced my drivers chair, they moved it to the passengers side instead and tossed the passenger chair.
20200621_100556.jpg20200621_100600.jpg20200621_171127.jpg20200621_171131.jpg20200621_171140.jpg20200621_171147.jpg20200621_171151.jpg

cucvrus

Looks like an easy fix. I would cup brush that entire floor area and then use a DA and an 80 grit sand paper. After you are done repair the rusted area and treat the entire floor with rust reformer of some sort. Rust Mort, anything but POR. That stuff makes in difficult to top coat. My go to plan has always been to get the entire interior floor and side walls LineXed. A bit costly but my experience has been no more rust. I tried several of the do it yourself brush in liners with less than favorable results. I had one applied in an M1009 by the company rep of Durabak. It last about2 years and I had a big bubble and it kept getting bigger till the floor fell thru under the bubble. I also had massive bubbles where your feet shuffle at the drivers side floor area. Very thing metal under the area. What had happened is a small pin hole wore thru and moisture got trapped under the liner. I never had that happen with Line X. It never wears thin. It does stain if you are a metal worker and gametal grindings from welding and grinding on your cloths and get it the vehicle. I mean I used my M1009's to do hard work. Logging, general farm, industrial work, and welding. Nothing real noticeable. I also spray CARC on the floor of a few and that held up well for a year or 2 and needed reapplied again. Good Luck. Some times/most the best way is not the cheap way. Line X is NOT a cheap way but it works. Be Safe, Take Care.

Saberr

ya, i know its not "hard" its just time consuming. Biggest headake is the last picture, it doesn't come up well but theat bolt is rusted all the way through and thats right above the crossmember. So a new piece would have to be about 1x1 ft big. Lol i cup brushed everything yesterday. When i pulled the carpet, there was a bit of the glue left and it had capet fibers in it, plus the oil and grease was so thick.

cucvrus

Heat that weld nut up and get a vise grips on an easy out and back that broken out out of that hole. Good luck. Change all the fasteners with new and discard them old fasteners. Make Life easier.

acthomp781

Thank you for posting pics. Just an hour ago I was looking for pictures of what the dash mounted radio equipment looked like. I am looking to get the radio/equipment for my M1009.

Saberr

ok its been a few weeks since i've posted but i've been very busy, besides works. Well as mentioned before i removed the carpet on the rust free rig to find rust in passegner floor. Started repairing that and it was about as fun as i remembered rust repair (NOT !). Ended up cutting out and replacing half of the passenger floor. I even did it proper and added all the groves and forms back into the new pieces. That took about a week. Then moved on to my seats, was able to get two s10 front seats. Repaired my correct pedistals and mounted the seats, bolt in, no mods needed to pedistals. Repaired broken spring in my rear seat and taped it back up, needs a new cover. Now have good working seats in the truck. I also removed the antena mount, me and others hit them with out shoulders when passing by,

I also installed HMMWV seat belts, had to used the old mounting bolts. New belts required just to enlarge some holes on new belts. Found out my head lights had no dimming ability and no dash lights. Replaced light switch and dimmer switch, now have lights that dimm. Tried to figure out why my dash light still didn't work after replacing switches, found out that out of the 14 bulbs in the dash 12 of mine are burns out. Ironicaly the ones that worked were gen 1,2, oil, and 4x4. Waiting on new lights to show up now. Finnaly got around to greasing all my zerks, good news, no broken zerks. I also pressure washed the underside, now i can see the bolts... yaaay.

I also ordered new rubber matts for floor. I installed insulation in the hood for heat and sound. I also insulated the transmission tunnel and floorboards, now i won't have to cook as much. Added some sound deadening rubber strips inside as well. I also got my wipers working again. Wipers were sort of working but were on a half way slow/fast speed and did not squirt water. Traced and found power to work, but not action, so i replaced with rebuilt and now it works, didn't realize my old ones park position wasn't working eather. Its odd that a quick turn of mist makes the pump to got for 8- 15 secons before it turns off. I also got my cigeret lighter working again, someone cut the power wire to it. My next will be to finish repair or replace the dash and to put my new door seals in.

I'm suppose to be going to a guy this week for a few parts.. dash, jack and handle, and may be picking up and electric tailgate. Like the fact that i can raise and lower the glass from drivers seat, nice to be able crack it while driving. Stilling trying to get some batterie top hold downs.

20200623_133902.jpg20200625_153216.jpg20200628_124808.jpg20200628_163919.jpg20200628_163928.jpg20200628_190124.jpg20200705_151243.jpg20200705_162516.jpg20200705_173925.jpg20200705_173948.jpg

Last edited:

MarcusOReallyus

ok its been a few weeks since i've posted but i've been very busy, besides works. Well as mentioned before i removed the carpet on the rust free rig to find rust in passegner floor. Started repairing that and it was about as fun as i remembered rust repair (NOT !). Ended up cutting out and replacing half of the passenger floor. I even did it proper and added all the groves and forms back into the new pieces. That took about a week.

Might have been a bit easier to buy new panels.

Saberr

I tried to get some or a cut out used ones. Eather can't get any doner or by the time you added up the price for the front and rear part of the passenger side plus the shipping it didn't seem worth the price for holes on half of one side. Oversize shipping in CA will kill your budgets way to quickly. A vendor once told me that all shipping prices automaticaly double once they go into ca, becouse of gas and fees.

Saberr

Got both my doors done, new rubber in all, hate doing the wing windows. Also painted the panels and cleaned windows, lookings almost new. Best part is the insulation and sound dead in them, sooo much quieter. Also found out my side marker lights weren't working, i actualy thought they were reflectors. Found bulb melted into socket on both . Both were out of the reflector, one was face down in old dirty/oily rag (how it got in there i don't know) and other had both cables severed completely and laying in bottom.
Got both fixed and new reflectors. Also got another good take out dash coming sunday. Tried repairing mine, but its too crusty, no good material left. Now to clean the dash from all the fine silt from desert before putting the new old pad on. Also got all my light bulbs replaced and working. Funny how you have you fix the warning lights just to find out whats not working lol. Decided against an electric gate, going to keep mine. Nice narrowing the major stuff down. NOw i know im forgetting something major......

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks