• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got a new m1009

HeisenBob

Got both my doors done, new rubber in all, hate doing the wing windows. Also painted the panels and cleaned windows, lookings almost new. Best part is the insulation and sound dead in them, sooo much quieter. Also found out my side marker lights weren't working, i actualy thought they were reflectors. Found bulb melted into socket on both . Both were out of the reflector, one was face down in old dirty/oily rag (how it got in there i don't know) and other had both cables severed completely and laying in bottom.
Got both fixed and new reflectors. Also got another good take out dash coming sunday. Tried repairing mine, but its too crusty, no good material left. Now to clean the dash from all the fine silt from desert before putting the new old pad on. Also got all my light bulbs replaced and working. Funny how you have you fix the warning lights just to find out whats not working lol. Decided against an electric gate, going to keep mine. Nice narrowing the major stuff down. NOw i know im forgetting something major......
Do you mind if I ask where you found the replacement Dash and how much you paid for it? Thanks

cucvrus

All good news. Sounds like progress. If you have everything out of the dash and feel like doing a really good job may I recommend the pressure washer. I have pressure washed many CUCV's out with the cluster removed. I did wrap a plastic bag on the column but other than that I washed the entire inside really good. I did it in the shade on a sunny day then moved it to the sun and blow out what water I could and then followed up with a towel and wiped it almost dry. It dried out in a day or 2 in the sun. Pressure washing can clean a lot of crud from anything that you want cleaned. And a 2,000PSI is all you need. Be careful it can cut your skin. I have a small pistol wad also and that cleans like a scrapper. Good Luck. The new marker lights will look much better anyway. Same as new tail lamp lenses. They make every CUV look better. Paint the inner housing reflective surface with aluminum paint. Be Safe. Thank you for sharing.

cucvrus

Do you mind if I ask where you found the replacement Dash and how much you paid for it? Thanks
You are not asking me but I just found a 99.9% perfect one and paid $600. American for it. It is a genuine GM and has a bit of damage where the M1009 radio bracket was mounted. So minor but worth mentioning. The guy wanted $750. for it. I thought crazy but I need one for an up coming build. Take Care.

Saberr

I actualy found mine off of ebay. Take out of a k5, I have to paint it to match, but hey.... i already got the paint, and just did doors and visors. I paid under $200 for it, going to get tomorrow. Post pics when i get it and then after paint it. If you want to keep cheaper, look for c10s, and k5 civis 84-92. that are being parted out or look for take out dash from one of those. Hunt ebay, offerup, and facebook marketplace.

Saberr

OK been a few days again. Got more stuff done, just too tired and busy to post. Got the new dash, turned out awasome. really brings the interior together. I also got and installed a hood bonet. Took decibal readings before and after, and no change, kinda bumbed. Disclamer: decibal was off my phone, and alredy had heat matt and vibrations stuff on first. Did find out when running its roughly 70 decibals inside cab, which only 8-10 more than my hyundai sonata... Replaced my blinker bulbs and reconnected the broken blackout ground wires.

Was having an annoying time with my batterys (2 different sizes and cca) think bad and dying. Bought two new 2f ? reconditioned for $49 each from interstate. Cleaned all my power connections/terminal/busses. Seems to be not draining and charging better now. Had annoying issue where after i changed all my bulbs in dash, gen 2 didn't want to work after a while, put correct bulb and nothing, ended up finding out my 24v fues blew, still scratching head how that happened. Also fixed my tailage handle ball, rivet came out and ball fell off. Meant no locking, just free hanging handle. Tapped it and put a screw in, perfect.

Cleaned all my glass of the years of white hard mineral build up. Secred formula is buffing compound and hand orange clean wth a car buffer/waxer. Glass looks brand new now (besided already exicsting scratches. I also got new windshield wiper arms. Was changing the glow plugs and found a big spring under the air filter, was looking all around and started to worry (freak out), though that can't be good, a big spring under air filter not connected to anything. Found out from my passenger wiper arm, broke and rolled under when i put hood up. Only realized what from when 2 weeks latter i was cleaning my glass off of all the hard mineral deposits and lifted my passenger wiper. Hoping to paint all exterior tomorrow.

I am looking for some engine advice, keep hearing a ticking on passenger side, especial reverbs through the muffler. Almost reminds me off noisy lifter. Engine runs fine and seems no issues. Doesn't necissarily get lounder when reaving, more noticable at idle. Was reading up and thinking it might be a carbon deposit that fell into one the pistons. Does that sound right ? How would i get it out ?

20200712_151203.jpg20200712_151210.jpg20200712_152055.jpg20200712_152104.jpg20200712_174914.jpg20200718_120540.jpg

Saberr

Waiting for better weather to paint, got some surface rust off the frame and painted under neath and in wheel wells. Just fixed rust on the tailgate. That little bit turned out to be way more than wanted. The interior plate in the talgate was rusted through completley on the bottom. Was able to weld form and weld in a few new patch pieces to restore it, took all day. Now i just need put finishing touches on the out skin that i welded on and hopefuly , fingers crossed, paint it tomorrow.

Anyone have any input on that ticking i mentioned last post ?

Saberr

Woo hoooo, got my new paint job on. Came out nicer than i expected. Used Behr Premium Plus high gloss 33446 . Accentuated with high gloss black. Have to go back and clean some of the glass where spray got under the tape. Took about 2 and half day to do with prep time. Such a nice feeling to have a good paint job on the m1009. Unfortunitly my new tailgate window scraper seals are lost in the mail. Orded 14th and suppose have by 18th, now the 24th. Put claim in but they said have to wait till the 30th, then they reconize there lost.

My list of to do stuff sure is short now, Can now put on the stuff that i want to have, but been putting off (more cost) such as radio and a/c. Radio thinking of doing 3 ammo cans. 2 for rear speakers and 1 for the head. Think of doing banna plugs on the cans, that way cords are quick disconnect. Then its portable, can just hook up to a car batter or power source else where and have a nice speaker system. Should cost less than $100 since alread have the cans.

20200724_160246.jpg20200724_160255.jpg20200724_160353.jpg20200724_160315.jpg

Saberr

Well not major, but it felt it. I replace my turn signal switch in the column. That was NOT fun. Deffinitly worth buying a lock plate remover. Alot of dissasembly to pull the old and new wires up the column. Then my horn didn't work. Got it working after 3 dissasemblys, just contacters not connecting in column. Replaced it becouse my left turn signal was only working about 45% of the time and the hazard lights would not stay on, keep sliping back to off possition. Would of taken pics, but just not that exciting. Between parts runs and computer reseach to make sure i was doing it right (and food/drink breaks), it took about 8 hours.

Oh yah side note if you have to replace yours, after you remove your lock cylinder and before you remove the upper colum, take a pic of where your lock cyliners gears mesh with the colum lock gears. I didn't and that took about 2 hours to get right, alot of guessing and finagling.

Saberr

Finnaly got around to fixing my glove box. I don't know how they can call that plastic piece of junk a hing..... how did that get pass qc ? My glove box keept falling out onto the floor once unlocked. To fix it i added a 17 inch long 1 1/2 continous hinge. Was easy to do, just realise the dash is at an angle, so you have to play with possition to get everything right. Another trick is to drill new holes and not bother with the old ones.

I also added a radio system today. I made it partialy mobile, and its based out of 3 ammo boxes. Got the two speakers made and in. Still need to put an L bracket in to keep them in place, and i need to put the radio in another one, ran out of time. Will also tidy up hiding the wires. Nice becouse its also bluetooth, so i can now do handsfree calling through it. Whole cost was $50 out the door.
20200727_132415.jpg20200727_132407.jpg20200727_172459.jpg20200727_175724.jpg20200727_194231.jpg20200727_194219.jpg

Saberr

Got both of my batterie hold downs on, added a multip big gulp/storage holder :) . Will get pics of tomorrow in the day. Took it on a 120 mil trip. Drove great, used half a tank of gas. Pretty much keept it at 70-80, once i looked down and when going down a slight decline and was over 85 :oops:. First time i can say ive driven a car faster than its speedo read lol :ROFLMAO:. Deffinitly neeeds a/c. was 100 out today and had to have the windows down, was too loud with them down and engine noise to have comfortable converstation with my passenger, plus it was hot...... DRAT i never thought of opening the foodt vents !!!

2deuce

I know that you will be in danger of being run over going 60mph but your fuel mileage will improve and so will the lifespan of the 6.2. Running it at 80 very long will not be good for it. Sometimes these CUCV's aren't used very much and the tires look good but check the dates on them to be sure. A blowout at the speed you are driving will be very bad.

Saberr

Deffinitrly agree deuce. Never planning to keep it at 80. Just nice to know that i got a healthy engine and drive train. Tires are newer.

Saberr

I can only imagine how bad/scary that was. My old m37 was sitting next to my window of the house and is came off the rim on a hot day, and the tube let go. That shook my window and scared me. Can't imagine that in the rear seat.

Saberr

I replaced my transmission vacume module, shifts softer now, but still not quite what i would like, need do a little adjustment and maybe have the shift points done. All the vacume rubber is good. Also finaly fixed my gauge cluster shift indicator arm. Someone had broken that off in the past and just stuck a piece of steel pin in for the wire to loop around to the column. Keept sliding off the pin and becouse so narrow it pulled the clip off the column when went to 1st or 2nd. Fixed it by using a longer sheet metal screw that i ran through a grommet, with a nut and washer to take up room betweek the gromet and metal dash. Screwed into the dash and ran the shift wire around the gromet. Gromet is a nice polished smooth steel and wide enough, nice part too is the top is big enough to slightly over lap the cluster so the wire can't come out eather now. Hope this helps someone else, i know mutiiple people have this issue. Heres also a pic of my stereo and my extra large big gulp and other grap holder :) works surprisingly well. Nice that i can also put the lids back on and they look like 2 normal ammo cans in the middle of the seat. Keep stuff in and people out.

20200804_184227.jpg20200804_184202.jpg20200804_184220.jpg20200731_153355.jpg

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks