• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got all my M35A2 LED lights working....for a little bit. Anyone worked on LED's with success?

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I bought 4 LED lamps for my M35A2 Deuce about 10 years ago, mounted them about 6-7 years ago, but didn't get to enjoy them at the time, because of a bad turn signal switch, then a failed flasher unit.

Some kind soul on SS posted plans for a build your own electronic flasher, which I did successfully. Cheap too! Oh, I was in hog heaven for a while, having 100% of my lights working, until this winter.

One cold day not long ago, I noticed the bulb on the turn signal switch was brighter in one direction, than it was in the other. When I checked the outside lamps, I noticed that the right rear lamp wasn't lighting fully, and that was the side with the brighter feedback.

Then, after leaving work last night in my daily driver Deuce, I saw that I had no right rear lamp at all. Today, when it warmed up, it was working again.
The pictures show what happens in the front when I activate the turn signals in either direction. The top pic is lamp flash off, and the lower pic is lamp flash on.

My question to the brains and those experienced with military LED's is this....are there parts inside that can be diagnosed and repaired by someone with circuit knowledge?
Air temperature seems to be a HUGE factor in working or not.

If I'm unable to get these things to work reliably, I'll probably have to go back to incandescents.

Little help?!?

3.jpeg2.jpeg

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think how many connections there are and each one is suspect for corrosion....making the minuscule draw of LED a problem. Mine are getting dedicated lines for each light from behind the cab to control them individually (brightness, flash, fade, patterns).

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Double and triple check for bad grounds and loose/corroded connections.
And this thread might help.,

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I triple agree with checking all the grounds and connections for corrosion issues.

However, with your statement that air temperature makes a huge difference, my bet is the connections on the boards inside are the issue. 10 years ago these were still cutting edge lighting- and the military bought them by the container load. They also had to swap them out by the container load as well, as failures like yours were common in the beginning. I have swapped several sets over the years that have developed the same symptoms as yours. Nothing I could do would get them going again. I kept a few, maybe I will cut into them and see what makes them tick. Still, difficult to repair and then you loose all your weather tightness.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Due to the fact you are having issues at the front and rear, I don't think the LED is the problem as that would mean multiple fixtures giving you trouble. Troubleshoot your light switch, flasher, grounds, wiring etc. There is another gremlin you are chasing in my opinion that is not the lights themselves. LED are sensitive to everything being "right"

I have them on my truck and 4 trailers with no issues.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@JSBIRD69 I looked at your picture. If your issue is that not all the dots on the front LED light fixture are lighting up, welcome to the club. THAT is a light fixture problem. I had one of these and it annoyed me, each and every time I looked at it. Then I found a spare on the shelf, swapped it and, voila, problem solved. I have had very bad experiences with military LED headlights (Trucklite) that would die like flies, regardless of how much they cost. Usually low beam would conk out.

I suspect that a metric sh*tton of factory reject LED lights and lamps made it onto the surplus market for us all to enjoy. Once you manage to compile a set of LED fixtures that actually work, they DO last a long time.

Alternatively, you can have my old LED amber fixture so that you can have the dots out symmetrically on both sides :)

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe you have the park and turn wires reversed.

DG
DG, Unless I have some serious gremlins hanging out around me, I don't believe that any connections are reversed.
Yesterday, with air temps above 45*F, all my lights were working as designed.
Thanks,
Jay

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Double and triple check for bad grounds and loose/corroded connections.
And this thread might help.,

Roger that.
Jay

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think how many connections there are and each one is suspect for corrosion....making the minuscule draw of LED a problem. Mine are getting dedicated lines for each light from behind the cab to control them individually (brightness, flash, fade, patterns).
Hey Toby, when you finish yours, wanna take a crack at mine?
I eagerly await your reply!
Jay

Last edited:

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Due to the fact you are having issues at the front and rear, I don't think the LED is the problem as that would mean multiple fixtures giving you trouble. Troubleshoot your light switch, flasher, grounds, wiring etc. There is another gremlin you are chasing in my opinion that is not the lights themselves. LED are sensitive to everything being "right"

I have them on my truck and 4 trailers with no issues.
Thanks Juan...I'm rolling up my sleeves now.
Jay

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@JSBIRD69 I looked at your picture. If your issue is that not all the dots on the front LED light fixture are lighting up, welcome to the club. THAT is a light fixture problem. I had one of these and it annoyed me, each and every time I looked at it. Then I found a spare on the shelf, swapped it and, voila, problem solved. I have had very bad experiences with military LED headlights (Trucklite) that would die like flies, regardless of how much they cost. Usually low beam would conk out.

I suspect that a metric sh*tton of factory reject LED lights and lamps made it onto the surplus market for us all to enjoy. Once you manage to compile a set of LED fixtures that actually work, they DO last a long time.

Alternatively, you can have my old LED amber fixture so that you can have the dots out symmetrically on both sides :)
LOL Thanks CR! But, I'm already ahead of that...both sides display the same fault.
Jay

JSBIRD69

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I triple agree with checking all the grounds and connections for corrosion issues.

However, with your statement that air temperature makes a huge difference, my bet is the connections on the boards inside are the issue. 10 years ago these were still cutting edge lighting- and the military bought them by the container load. They also had to swap them out by the container load as well, as failures like yours were common in the beginning. I have swapped several sets over the years that have developed the same symptoms as yours. Nothing I could do would get them going again. I kept a few, maybe I will cut into them and see what makes them tick. Still, difficult to repair and then you loose all your weather tightness.
I like the way you think!! Please post your findings for us!
Jay

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please buy me a Lotto ticket next time you go out...please.
Jay
Luck of the draw I suppose. I did have to swap my old flasher unit for a new one that would work with LEDs. But that was a known issue going in to it. I picked up my LED lights when the market was fairly saturated so they were much cheaper than they are now. I probably wouldn’t have done it if prices then were like they are now. Bought some LED tail lights for a trailer recently, and I’ll be very unhappy if they don’t work.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks