• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got it going, and now can't stop - or should I say stops to good. stuck rear caliper

tbeson

1998 M 1123 HMMWV -Got the rear drivers caliper off , disassembled, and dry fitting to rebuild after dust boot and piston seal failure.

following
Rebuilding Rear Calipers
By Gilbert Herman
December 5, 2005
write up.

Excellent write up. However having issues with a rebuild, the thrust screw is not wanting to go back into the cone clutch. Anyone out there rebuild one of these more recently and have any tips or tricks in getting the thrust screw mating back up with the cone clutch. I have tried to dry assemble with out the piston seal and still doesn't want to mate up.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you turning it as you are pushing it in? there is a special tool for that.
I have no experience with these but similar ones I have done you need two tools, one turns right hand and the other left depending on which side caliper you are working on

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
1998 M 1123 HMMWV -Got the rear drivers caliper off , disassembled, and dry fitting to rebuild after dust boot and piston seal failure.

following
Rebuilding Rear Calipers
By Gilbert Herman
December 5, 2005
write up.

Excellent write up. However having issues with a rebuild, the thrust screw is not wanting to go back into the cone clutch. Anyone out there rebuild one of these more recently and have any tips or tricks in getting the thrust screw mating back up with the cone clutch. I have tried to dry assemble with out the piston seal and still doesn't want to mate up.
Made that tool after fussing and studying what going on with my rebuild. Double check the cam action for the E-brake when you think you got it figured out.

58906553637__7AAAC987-F37E-4629-93C1-6D1CD5A684B3.jpg Building the gripping part.
IMG_7249.jpg Used the piston nut part as template.
58907259200__5EE108D9-619D-40F9-A833-C446424E131A.jpg Next the compression parts.
IMG_7333.jpg Paint makes it all work better. LOL This took an hour to figure out, an hour to layout and weld and 15 minutes for the paint to dry. Two wrenches and a feel for it going back together and presto...done.

That was a fun day, CAMO

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Other folks sell the tool similar Milcommoguy's pictures. It's not the cheapest thing in the world, but boy is it useful!

Also you can use a combination of a piston compressor and a turning tool, one of the TM has instructions for building the tool.

Caliper Tool.jpg

lpcoating

Supporting Vendor
Other folks sell the tool similar Milcommoguy's pictures. It's not the cheapest thing in the world, but boy is it useful!

Also you can use a combination of a piston compressor and a turning tool, one of the TM has instructions for building the tool.

View attachment 848987
Any demand for these wrenches? Be easy enough to draw and make a batch.

Guy

tbeson

Just to make sure the fit is really tight on the piston in the caliper, I am dry fitting with everything apart waiting on rebuild parts and the piston is very tight to the bore of the cylinder of the caliper, with out the rubber piston seal in place. Thank God for Steel Soldiers, and my sons fab shop, I will give him the dimensions on the wrench above and buy him some lunch for his hard work

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks