• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got it home, M818 pics

TheBuggyman

Well, My buddy and I went up to PA to pick up the M818 and M127 last Friday and the batteries were dead in my camera so no pics of the recovery. :cry:

Checked all the fluids, swapped in a fresh set of batteries (in the truck, not the camera), and cranked her right on up! I could not build air pressure at first as the transmission valves were hung up but halfway between first and reverse the leak would stop so I let it build up and then shifted back and forth a few times and we were good to go!

Oh, and it was missing the fan belts but we had a complete set on hand so we swapped the alternator belts and put on the fan belts.

Everything on the truck and trailer works with the exception of the passenger side low beam.

Got it to the shop and proceeded to make up some mud flap hangers without the frame extension bracket since it had none. The flaps are on order.

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ooooh, nice tires.

Congrats! :beer:

TheBuggyman

Re: RE: Got it home, M818 pics

alphadeltaromeo said:
Looks great...thanks for sharing the pics! Ya, those are great tires aren't they. How did you like driving it with those tires??
Yeah, it drove pretty good but I think that there is a balance issue with one of the fronts. I'm thinking about getting the Centramatic balancers and see what happens. Does anyone have any suggestions on sizing, pricing, where to get?

TheBuggyman

emmado22 said:
The tires have tubes in them.... How will the balancers work?
Well, they bolt in between the wheel and the hub and it is claimed that they continuously balance the assembly no matter what the conditions. (mud on the rim, rock in the tire, etc..)

Go to: www.centramatic.com

I found one place $176/pair for the front. I think I'm gonna go for it.

beaubeau

Nice truck!! Before spending money on ballancing, you should straiten out the tires that are on the truck first. Those are Directional Tires and several are going in the wrong Direction. Change them so they are right. Left front is wrong, 2 outside Intermediate and rrear are wrong., all left rear wheels are going in the wrong direction. Change these around so they are right before even thinking of ballancing anything. Good luck with UR truck! Phil

beaubeau

Hey Buggyman. I just realized who U are>.I was at Chamb. when U picked up your truck and trailer! I guess U made it home O.K. . I got my deuce and 2 trls home O.K. I wasn't sure how my 1 ton would handle the load. I was able to run as fast as 73mph a few times before I realized how fast I was going. When I got to my road, it was all ICE for 1 mile. I had to run 4x6 the last mile. The truck runs Excellent and I guess I am batting 2for 2 on my Deuces. Good luck with Ur truck. Phil

TheBuggyman

beaubeau said:
Nice truck!! Before spending money on ballancing, you should straiten out the tires that are on the truck first. Those are Directional Tires and several are going in the wrong Direction. Change them so they are right. Left front is wrong, 2 outside Intermediate and rrear are wrong., all left rear wheels are going in the wrong direction. Change these around so they are right before even thinking of ballancing anything. Good luck with UR truck! Phil
Hey Phil!
It was good to meet you and I am glad that you made it home okay.
I did not know that these tires were directional, I will double check all of that, besides, it will look better with them all rotating one way!

TheBuggyman

DaveP said:
Hey B - Man whats the 5th wheel off of? is that a newer style? tires look great and i dont know about the directional thing. let us know how they wear. i have heard bad things about wear patterns on these. truck looks good!
Dave,
The fifth wheel was on it when I picked it up, I suppose that it is the newer style.
I did notice that the spare has a little chop to it so maybe that was on the front and they switched it thinking that this was the balance problem. :?

Yeah, the flap bracket WILL be off before the trailer goes on! :wink:

TheBuggyman

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
Looking Good I like the dump trailer in the background too did you fab that yourself? Will you be working this truck and trailer or are they for your collection?
David,
Actually, the dump in the background is just sitting on a bolster trailer for ease of moving. :oops:

The dump body really goes on my 813. (sometimes)

I don't know why I have the trailer. :lol:

Pappa-G

BKubu said:
BEAUBEAU: I've read that Michelin considers those XLs non-directional.
:ditto: Had a set on my Duce. But imho they look better all going the same way. An awesome truck forsure, congrats.
Did you have any goodies in your tool box? Had anyone taken any parts off your truck? Just wondering.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks