• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got me a deuce!!

MikeON

After lurking this forum for about 6 months, I finally bit the bullet. Got this one off ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ndexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

One of the uses I will have is hauling logs for my Woodmizer sawmill, and hauling boards. I'll load logs on it with my tractor and loader, and roll them off. That's why I held out for a dropside deuce. Later I may add a simple hoist. A lot of side roads in western PA have a 10-ton weight limit, which is why I chose a deuce instead of something bigger. I'll mostly go in and pick up the occasional tree that blew over or someone had cut down.

It's in New Hampshire, and I'm in western PA. I'm getting shipping quotes, but will likely drive it home (550 miles).

I'm now thinking about power steering, super singles, etc.

Mike

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome Mike :beer:

Good lookin' Deuce.

bottleworks

Looks good. Have you asked the seller more about the titling?
How can he have the "government title" and have it registered? You give the DMV the "government title" (SF-97) when you transfer it into your name. So... how did he register it, if he never transfered it into his name?

MikeON

I had emailed the seller before bidding - he says NH does not require a title for a vehicle older than 13 years, so he still has the original SF97 from when he got it from DRMO in Rhode Island.

I just checked the NH DMV site:

http://www.dmv.org/nh-new-hampshire/title-transfers.php

and they say 15 years.

Maybe I'll ask him to fax the SF97, just to be extra sure. If he indeed has the SF97, should I be OK? I called a local title issuing agency in PA last week, and they said they could work with an SF97.

I appreciate all the information I've gotten from Steel Soldiers over the last several months, plus the pointers I am receiving now.

moreorles2

Great looking Deuce and the price is right. I would suggest that you fly out of Cleveland to Manchester. NH on Southwest- you can get some great one way fares with 7 days notice. I would also suggest that if you have any pilot friends- see if you can borrow a set of ANR headsets for the 550 mile return trip. If not , your head will be ringing for days after the trip. But the smile on your face will last for long time .... ;-)

littlebob

I did the same thing( watching this site), for about four months after my cousin(pistolnut) turned me on to the site. I don't know how anybody could come lurk here and not end up with one. Congradulations and I'm Sure you'll find answers to all your questions here as I have.
littlebob

moreorles2

Mike- forgot to add that when I registered my deuce in NH, I did not even need the previous owner's title either- just the bill of sale. You are correct- over 15 years and all you need is a bill of sale but you have the option of spending another $25 and getting a title if it has been titled before. We are the "Live Free or Die" state but they "fee" you to death.

MikeON

Thanks again for all the kind words and pointers. I also received a couple PMs that the current owner's SF97 might not be directly usable in getting a PA title, because it is in his name, not mine.. I'm going to ask him to fax a copy, and show it to my local PA title agency. Otherwise, I guess my option will be to have him get a NH title first. After all, if it's only $25....

SierraHotel

Mike,
I’ve got a SF-97, but no title. Why? Because the COMMONWEALTH (sound familiar) of Virginia wants to see a title. Oh, yeah, they said a SF-97 would work. But when I went to go get the title, they said:
“Gee this is made out to Government Liquidators, that’s not you”
Seeing how I’m not the original purchaser from GL, they will not even talk to me. The original purchaser is being something I’m not allowed to post on this site.
My advice, for what it is worth…
Have a long talk with the Pennsylvania DMV and tell them exactly what you have and will get. Get names, law numbers, etc. When you pick up the truck, have the seller give you a notarized bill of sale. Will it help you? I don’t know, but it sure won’t hurt!
If all else fails, Broadway will sell you a title for about $350, a course I’m avoiding because I’m cheap and I hear that some of the DMV’s are not exactly crazy about Broadway.
As a last resort, I’ve heard rumors that some of the generous folks on SS will stick their necks out (as well as other parts) to do stuff to help you that may not be exactly kosher. I’m trying to avoid that as well as I do not want to get anyone in trouble and I don’t need any more myself.
Good luck, please try to avoid my situation at all costs. Having a Deuce is great…having a Deuce that you cannot drive SUCKS!!!

MikeON

This morning, the seller faxed me the SF97 and the Dealer Reassignment from Government Liquidation to him.

I then called a local authorized title transfer agency, then Memphis Equipment in Chambersburg PA, then my state representative's office. They all said the same thing: The documents provided would "probably" work for getting a PA title, but a NH title would be a sure thing.

I contacted the seller, and he agreed to get the NH title. So things might be delayed a few weeks, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Thanks for all the help.

Mike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks