• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got my 395's mounted (finally!)

jrou111

Thought I'd share some pics. :cool:

I also had a question. I just brought the truck home from the tire place, approx. 12 miles. Anytime I would go above 45mph the front end would start swaying and it'd get hard to steer. I'll look into tire pressures when I get home from work, what should they be?

Do you think it needs a toe adjustment, or is it possible there's too much slack in the steering box? Or even the rears being offset?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :grin:

Attachments

jrou111

45 you say? Hmm I'll check on that. They are on stock wheels, and the hubs haven't been flipped yet. I'm not sure if I want to or not.

Haggar

Looks nice, do you have any pictures along the side, to show how far the rear tires are under/out from the bed?

As for the sway, check pressures first, then take a look at your toe-in. You'll need some, but too much can also cause wobble/wandering.

baxter

Im dealing with the same problem anytime i get on the freeway it gets scarry I'm working several ideas, if I come up with a solution i'll post, keep us informed on what you find.

Alredneck

Banned
Apoc is setup the same way you done have to flip the hubs it has no effect on the wandering. I would look into your toe angle and also im only running about 40psi in my tires. one thing that may be the cause of the problem is the way the tread wore when mounted in the .mil If the toe is correct and air pressure ( should have that much effect on them big meats ) i would swap to another set of tires that A: have more tread, B: put a ruler on top and see which ones have runout on them ( slope to one side or the other ) the flatter ones need to be up front.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could part of the problem be that the tires were not meant for those wheels?

number9

The issue described here is why I have never considered mounting these over size tires on stock wheels. Over the years I have mounted too large tires on stock wheels on my pickup trucks and every single time with too tall and wide of a tire for the wheel, the truck would waller and wander all over the road at speed. The reason is the tire's sidewall is flexing back and forth and causes the truck to wander around at speed. Slow speeds are fine but higher speeds can be scary.

I once mounted a set of 305/70-16 tires on my stock Chevy 7" wide wheels and drove it to work 2 days and took them back off. The truck was absolutely dangerous on the interstate at speed. I know how to handle a vehicle and really mean it when I say it was all over the road.

jrou111

The issue described here is why I have never considered mounting these over size tires on stock wheels. Over the years I have mounted too large tires on stock wheels on my pickup trucks and every single time with too tall and wide of a tire for the wheel, the truck would waller and wander all over the road at speed. The reason is the tire's sidewall is flexing back and forth and causes the truck to wander around at speed. Slow speeds are fine but higher speeds can be scary.

I once mounted a set of 305/70-16 tires on my stock Chevy 7" wide wheels and drove it to work 2 days and took them back off. The truck was absolutely dangerous on the interstate at speed. I know how to handle a vehicle and really mean it when I say it was all over the road.

You're not going to flex the sidewalls of these tires with an unloaded deuce. They're rated for 9,500lbs each tire.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've driven Gimpyrobb's deuce with 395's, for 100's of miles, and did not notice any wander. Just a softer ride, and leans in the corners.

jesusgatos

I've had just the opposite experience. I've run 35x12.5" tires on 7-8" wide wheels on a lot of different trucks, and I love the way they handle at speed. The extra sidewall bulge is a great way to protect the wheels, and it helps to keep the beads from unseating off-road at low-pressures.

ctmustang

I would definately go with the air pressure. When I took my deuce to the tire shop I noticed the guy seemed to leave the inflation hose on the tires forever. He already had a few changed so I asked how much air he is putting in them and he said 100 psi. So I helped him put them all at 45 psi and have had no problems. Toe in should bve 1/8-1/4" preferrably 1/8" to help with the scrubbing of outer tread on tight turns.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks