• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got my deuce! and got it stuck within 30 minutes of picking it up LOL

jdr2710

I'll check it out. Is there any good writeups I can use as a reference for checking it out? I need to replace the cable regardless though. Has anybody tried any of the synthetic winch cable on these?
Sadly I don't have a winch on my deuce, but I do on the H1 and I'm a big fan of synthetic, no more nasty wire slivers! The main thing to be aware of (aside from the cost!) is that synthetic isn't very abrasion resistant, not a huge problem if you're pulling yourself out since it is the truck moving, not the rope, but if you're pulling somebody else out you want to use the supplied protective jacket on any rub spots.

The best prices I've found are from these guys (no affiliation):
Rockstomper.com

They'll make up whatever custom length you want. What I did with the H1 was a shorter length on the drum (easier to get down to the lower layers where you get the most pull, and less to re-wind) then get a 'winch extension' rope and use that to make up the length. You want your winch extension to be rated to at least 2x your winch power in case you do a pulley to double your winch power.

That was a beauty bit of stuck there, at least it was somewhere the wrecker could get you out!

Jeff

Redneckbmxer24

i did the exact same thing but in a pond.
Wow, thats in there for sure.

Sadly I don't have a winch on my deuce, but I do on the H1 and I'm a big fan of synthetic, no more nasty wire slivers! The main thing to be aware of (aside from the cost!) is that synthetic isn't very abrasion resistant, not a huge problem if you're pulling yourself out since it is the truck moving, not the rope, but if you're pulling somebody else out you want to use the supplied protective jacket on any rub spots.

The best prices I've found are from these guys (no affiliation):
Rockstomper.com

They'll make up whatever custom length you want. What I did with the H1 was a shorter length on the drum (easier to get down to the lower layers where you get the most pull, and less to re-wind) then get a 'winch extension' rope and use that to make up the length. You want your winch extension to be rated to at least 2x your winch power in case you do a pulley to double your winch power.

That was a beauty bit of stuck there, at least it was somewhere the wrecker could get you out!

Jeff
Thanks, that was actually one of the sites I found google searching for synthetic winch cable so its good to hear some feedback on it. It may be expensive but you can't put a price on your life if the wire cable was to break and luck wasn't on your side.

I figured on going with a 100' 1/2" winch cable and then a couple 100' extensions, some straps, couple tree savers, and a pulley to double up if I need to.

I wasn't too worried about abrasion, 99.9% of the time it would be a strait pull and would never rub on anything and the times it may rub I could just rig it differently or use a different method all together. I am planning on rigging up one of the special fairleads for synthetic line on the front of the truck, the factory leads probably wouldn't be too friendly to it. I'm sure I'll be called when people get stuck to get them out since I have the biggest two trucks of all of my friends but I've never ran into a situation where I couldn't just pull them out with a strap.

Redneckbmxer24

I wish somebody had gotten a picture or video of the bank, I climbed to get back on the road after they pulled me out. It was so steep my brother and the guy with the blazer couldn't walk up it and had to go around. The tow truck drivers pulled around to watch and said it was the coolest thing they've ever seen, they said the front end was off the ground for a good 2-3 seconds and they could see the whole underside of the truck.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I must say that you did not waste any time getting THAT out of the way, the first time stuck seems to come very very easy after that one soon learns that being stuck is not the fun part of a Deuce! Well with that part aside you can now go out and start having a really good time with your truck, oh by the way that is a very nice looking Deuce even in the pics stuck it looks darned nice NICE SAVE and continue to have fun, GREAT truck
KK

Smokinyoda

Ive had good luck with chaining a 6ft post to 2 oppisite wheels the get out big trucks. When you spin the wheel over the post will dig in and usually back you out. USE WITH CAUTION...LOL
Thanks, that's good advice, how do you go about chaining them to the tires though?
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnRRGW6z3UQ&feature=player_embedded[/media]

Redneckbmxer24

Thanks, that video explains it perfectly. Knowing that and a trip to lowes or home depot and it probably wouldnt have even cost me $100 to get it out.

BTW I figured out my winch trouble, it was just the shear pin. I never heard it pop or anything though.

DMaddox

The first time I took mine offroad I was climbimg a steep hill and the upper dogbone failed and the bushing came of the stud.. then the rear axle rolled out from under the truck .. the springs pulled out of their purches and dropped , along with the drive shaft, the lower dogbones were the only thing that was still holding on . some how i didn't lose the brake lines ether..

REPLACE THOSE DOGBONE BUSHINGS it is easily overlooked

cyamaha2007

A tree will work in a pinch too the but the chains dont stay as tight. If You have access to a air compressor, air down the tire alot then chain the 6x6 to the wheel as tight as you can. Then air the tire back up to recomended pressure and the chains will get TIGHT! This trick has saved my arse many o times. Also if you want another tip you can use a rear set of duals a a winch.
1 put a tow strap between set of rear duals on the ground
2 loop the tow strap around the inner wheel and back through its self as to "choke" the matting surface between the two wheels.
3 Use a shackle to atach the strap to a solid point
4 Back out slowly you may mess up your valve stem in this process so be carefull.
Hope you find any of this helpfull in the future and welcome to the deuce club

BEASTMASTER

i can't believe the wrecker pulled you through the hole instead of backwards out of the hole. maybe if he got you in deeper he could've called another wrecker and bill you for that one too. $259 ain't bad. it's usually $400 just to leave the garage out here in ma.

cjcottrill

Note: The TM says 200' of 1/2" wire rope. It does seem to start a lengthy and sometimes aggressive discussion here if you ask about alternate spooling material. Some MV modifications are readily accepted, others seemed to be frowned upon. Good quality wire rope is not cheap, You can sometimes get lucky and find a crane company doing a complete changeout and pick up some good stock. Many cranes use a good quality "no-twist" cable, which I like pretty well, even if it is not in the TM. Whatever you use, try to pick up the proper size snatchblock or two, keep some of the proper spare shear pins, read the manual - especially read about recovery; it has a lot of good information. Then have at it and enjoy!

ZZHD

You couldn't have been having too much fun your f-250 isn't very muddy. I have a towing company and $250 would have been cheap here. Depending on how far to where you are stuck. I also don't take the tow truck's too far off road if at all.That's what i use one of my mv for. Good thing i have tow trucks because i can get just about anything stuck. And have.

Redneckbmxer24

A tree will work in a pinch too the but the chains dont stay as tight. If You have access to a air compressor, air down the tire alot then chain the 6x6 to the wheel as tight as you can. Then air the tire back up to recomended pressure and the chains will get TIGHT! This trick has saved my arse many o times. Also if you want another tip you can use a rear set of duals a a winch.
1 put a tow strap between set of rear duals on the ground
2 loop the tow strap around the inner wheel and back through its self as to "choke" the matting surface between the two wheels.
3 Use a shackle to atach the strap to a solid point
4 Back out slowly you may mess up your valve stem in this process so be carefull.
Hope you find any of this helpfull in the future and welcome to the deuce club
I'll try this, I plan on buying the tire inflator tool that hooks up to the trucks air.

i can't believe the wrecker pulled you through the hole instead of backwards out of the hole. maybe if he got you in deeper he could've called another wrecker and bill you for that one too. $259 ain't bad. it's usually $400 just to leave the garage out here in ma.
Theres no way he could have gotten to me to winch from behind, he would have had to go through about a mile of mud that theres no way that truck would make it through. He actually had a rollback there too with a winch but the one truck with 2 30K winches pulled it like it was nothing.

Note: The TM says 200' of 1/2" wire rope. It does seem to start a lengthy and sometimes aggressive discussion here if you ask about alternate spooling material. Some MV modifications are readily accepted, others seemed to be frowned upon. Good quality wire rope is not cheap, You can sometimes get lucky and find a crane company doing a complete changeout and pick up some good stock. Many cranes use a good quality "no-twist" cable, which I like pretty well, even if it is not in the TM. Whatever you use, try to pick up the proper size snatchblock or two, keep some of the proper spare shear pins, read the manual - especially read about recovery; it has a lot of good information. Then have at it and enjoy!
Well I've decided on synthetic rope, its plenty strong and if you use the right failrlead won't break. I found some 1'2" stuff rated at 36,000lbs which is way more than those shear pins will hold.

You couldn't have been having too much fun your f-250 isn't very muddy. I have a towing company and $250 would have been cheap here. Depending on how far to where you are stuck. I also don't take the tow truck's too far off road if at all.That's what i use one of my mv for. Good thing i have tow trucks because i can get just about anything stuck. And have.
It doesn't show up too well in the pictures but it's completely covered, the tires on it are MT ATZ which don't clean for a **** and don't bite big chunks either. Putting those tires on the truck was the biggest mistake I ever made, the old pitbull maddogs would go through anything.

Luckly he was able to back right through the gate at UPS about 20 feet on dry ground and winch me from there. If UPS wouldn't have opened the gate to let them winch me I would have had to leave it over night until I figured out how I would get it unstuck.

oldMan99

Congrats on the new toy!

You got pretty lucky with that stuck but by reading your posts I think you already know that....

Those trucks are pretty heavy and have a LOT of weight on the front axle. Just guessing but about 80% of the "Stuck Deuce" pictures I see the front axle is buried like yours.

Of course the standard "Air down the tires" advise almost always applies for helping not get stuck and or helping get un-stuck. Did you try that? I'm guessing that with no way to air back up you didn't. If the wrecker pulled you out as easy as you noted, there is a reasonably good chance that airing down may have done the trick for you.

Personally I would have taken it home and prepped it some before I took it off road, but I can certainly understand that "I wanna go now" feeling to.... lol.

Look in the classifieds, there is somebody selling the proper winch sheer pin. Get a handful of them and keep them in the truck. DO NOT use anything else in place of the proper pin. It is like a fuse in the electric system. Use to large of a fuse and you burn your truck to the ground. Use an improper pin and you can literally explode the winch which is not only expensive but pretty dangerous as well.

Anyway, good deal on the toy, hope you get many years of fun and good use out of it. You might want to take a look at this page, about 1/2 way down for a list of some recommended equipment and some tips on why you want it. The rest of the thread has some good info on alternative ideas for getting un-stuck also.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/62241-help-need-pulled-out-mud-houston-pasadena-tx-7.html

Best of luck and happy MV'ing!!

Redneckbmxer24

what year is your truck?
It's a 1971

Congrats on the new toy!

You got pretty lucky with that stuck but by reading your posts I think you already know that....

Those trucks are pretty heavy and have a LOT of weight on the front axle. Just guessing but about 80% of the "Stuck Deuce" pictures I see the front axle is buried like yours.

Of course the standard "Air down the tires" advise almost always applies for helping not get stuck and or helping get un-stuck. Did you try that? I'm guessing that with no way to air back up you didn't. If the wrecker pulled you out as easy as you noted, there is a reasonably good chance that airing down may have done the trick for you.

Personally I would have taken it home and prepped it some before I took it off road, but I can certainly understand that "I wanna go now" feeling to.... lol.

Look in the classifieds, there is somebody selling the proper winch sheer pin. Get a handful of them and keep them in the truck. DO NOT use anything else in place of the proper pin. It is like a fuse in the electric system. Use to large of a fuse and you burn your truck to the ground. Use an improper pin and you can literally explode the winch which is not only expensive but pretty dangerous as well.

Anyway, good deal on the toy, hope you get many years of fun and good use out of it. You might want to take a look at this page, about 1/2 way down for a list of some recommended equipment and some tips on why you want it. The rest of the thread has some good info on alternative ideas for getting un-stuck also.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/62241-help-need-pulled-out-mud-houston-pasadena-tx-7.html

Best of luck and happy MV'ing!!
Thanks. Yeah I didn't air them down because I had no way to air them back up. Does airing down the NDT's really make that big of a difference though?

I plan on getting some of the shear pins, I stuck a bolt in it just to get the cable back in but I don't plan on using the winch until I get the shear pins and replaced the cable.