• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

got my engine out(and a another thing)

red devils dude

hey guys got my engine out it was a lot of very hot and hard work me and a friend got it out with a fork-lift and some chain.
Wyattearp I got a lot of pics comeing if you have any questions just PM me and I will try to help.
and does this look like a 1c or 1d turbo

Wyattearp

Hey RedDevil

The turbo looks just like the one i have that came with the used LDT- 1C engine i got from Cranetruck. This engine out here has a build date of 1984, the turbo i have has Schwitzer on it, but looks the same as that one. By the way thanks to your question about that turbo i about had a heart attack, a wonderful mister Black snake has left his skin shed and i just saw a glimpse and well needless to say i almost needed a cleanup :shocked:

As for the pictures send them on, you can either pm them to me or earp39@yahoo.com either way... By the way i have decided that pulling tranny and engine together is going to be the best for me, not having a stable way to lower the tranny i felt it safe to do it this way, were going to be using a tractor with a bucket on the front, i pulled my last motor mount bolt about 30 min ago plus im going to remove the winch for added room..

red devils dude

pics are inbond
Wyattearp when you remove engine-tranny try to remove the things the headlights are in you know
thoes two sheet metal towers on each side of grill.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the number on the turbo. The -C whistler is made by Schwitzer and the number on the housing is 3LG319.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Schwitzer might have made both turbos but the 3LG319 is for sure a whistler. Not sure about the 3LM39.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The turbo on my parts engine is 3LU-319. It also has the number 11668459 on the top line of the tag. I'm almost certain it's a whistler since it's smaller than the turbo in my deuce (which is not a whistler).

M215

I usually tell the difference between the C-turbo (whistler) and the D-turbo by how the exhaust and intake halfs are joined. The C has a large clamp, simular to the clamps used on the exhaust pipe joints. The D is bolted together. Also the C is smaller in overall dimensions, both are interchangable. Do they have the same HP ratings?

Hope this helps.

Wyattearp

Reddevils i hope to get some pictures done myself, going to get some disposable camera's this morning and have them put on cd at wally world. Can't wait to see the pics you have.

Wyattearp

Good morning all :lol: Hey Jed i worked on getting one side of the light tower removed and set to the side, tell you what as hard as that was im thinking about leaving the other one, what you think, I really have plenty of room and the side i took loose is the side the engine if it goes any where it would be to the passengers side. I still gotta get those camera's today...

Wyattearp

I think with just one side off i can manage it, the way the truck is setting the engine will drift that way just a tad when lifted, of course i have some lumber to help with the steading of the removal. My main concern is getting the tranny clear of the firewall then its right on out with it. I have double checked and tripled checked to make sure all connections and linkage have been removed or taken loose.

Can't wait to see the pictures.... Those bolts were a bear to remove, im not sure what they are made of but they do not rust and well after 35 years there just a tad awnry.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys consider removing the whole fender? It wouldn't be hardly any more work and it gets you lots of working room. The deuce is designed for powerpack removal with te he sheetmetal in place but any extra room is a bonus.

Wyattearp

actually Kenny i did think about that but decided that was not necessary, the way the truck is sitting pretty much flat the engine will lift up and out with no problems but i am going to be on the ground and up on the fender with any needed assistance from a 2x4 or whatever will work.
I think it will go smoothly with no hitches but will be another week or so before i can get it removed i have to build me a makeshift stand for this engine that way i can sit it down and cover it up and remove parts as needed for my other project, any ideas on making something like that, either out of wood or some kind of metal stand...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks