• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

got my first deuce how bad did i get burned?

nf6x

Feral Engineer
mangus580 said:
FreightTrain said:
Actually,I beg to differ.Like any other system on these rigs,if properly maintained it works wonderfully.My parking before the cable froze would stall the engine.
Ummmm if the driveshaft is pulled, the Parking brake is NOT doing anything!!!! (ie will not stop the truck!)
He didn't say it'd stop the truck from rolling... he said it would stall the engine. It'll still do that with the driveshaft pulled! rofl

joey

did you all catch that joey's wife was "going to weld on his trailer". and that she is bummed that she did not get to drive the new beast. she should be giving "wife lessons", my wife can't weld. i'm sending her back to school now, with the line "joey's wife can weld".
will trade welding lessons for cooking lessons.

when you went to bend did they still have that surplus store with a few trucks and trailers?

derby

Did You ever find the source of the leak? Did You call the guy You bought it from? Did he tell you the truck was sound and fit for the road? If he did You may have a legal beef with him. Where are the pics?

nattieleather

Well Joey have you gotten it home yet?

I agree with everyone else put oil in the offending gear box and drive and check and drive and check. My M35A2 use to leak out the tranny and after 30 miles looked like I had lost 40 gals. under the truck, but really only lost less than a pint.

I think your real problem is that on page one you said my wife and then later you said my girlfriend. You shouldn't take both with you on these trips...LOL.

joey

Did You ever find the source of the leak? Did You call the guy You bought it from? Did he tell you the truck was sound and fit for the road? If he did You may have a legal beef with him. Where are the pics?
looked like top of the differential where the driveline connects and at tires
never called him I'm not gonna take anyone to court for my own stupidity and my poor planning
he never said it would make it only that he has driven it no more then 30 miles at any one time and around the yard and parades
pics will be taken and posted after i get it home i think i can get one from the for sale ad if its still up.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
joey said:
looked like top of the differential where the driveline connects and at tires
Yeah, that sounds like a plugged vent all right. If the seller never drove it far enough to heat it up enough to build up enough pressure to push out the oil, then he never would have known about it. It'll probably be a cheap fix once you get it home.

joey

No truck is not home yet i left it at some guys construction yard next to his dump trucks. Tomorrow My brother in law and I will drive a dump truck with trailer up there
I called the guy that let me park it at his yard and told him i would be up tomorrow, He then said i could use his loader to put the trailer i was towing in back of the dump truck. I'm gonna try to get a digital camera to take some shots then but am kinda broke right now, I had to spend alot more in hotels, fuel, tools , and oil then i expected. I drove the truck about 4 miles and noticed a difference in the ride and alot more oil coming out. So i decided to listen to the advice of girlfriend and parked it. I had enough trouble with tow companies and if someone offered to let me park it at there work and out of the road i figured it would be smart to do so rather then risk being broke down between towns in the middle of the road.

Every one refeeres to my girlfriend as my wife and she would have been if she had not decided she didnt need to weld anymore, and then my daughter came along so I couldn't pay her bills and mine so she declared bankruptcy and is still not finalized.

joey

Yeah, that sounds like a plugged vent all right. If the seller never drove it far enough to heat it up enough to build up enough pressure to push out the oil, then he never would have known about it. It'll probably be a cheap fix once you get it home.
I filled everything back up before i drove it 4 miles or so and took out the vent didnt make much differnce. Girlfiend says not to worry its not as bad as i think despite all the slop in driveline. She knows more about that kinda stuff then I, hopefully she is right. I will know for sure tomorro when my brother in law looks at it. and we tow it home. oh are the vents somthing you can get at napa? Mine kinda broke off when my cresent wrench was too large and I had to use the Adjustable hammer feature

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Looks good!!

Blythewoodjoe

When you get the beast home don't spend any real money on parts until you check with us :lol:

I have a small bone yard and try to keep a little of everything. I have a spare axle and if one of my axle was in bad shape I would just replace the whole thing. I would think you could find a complete axle for less than parts for your's if it has bad bearing or something like that. Getting another axle from a fellow collector is just an excuse to take a drive in the car with a small trailer and check out someone else's stuff :wink:

Joe Trapp
(SC, which is too far to drive for that axle)

FreightTrain

Banned
yea,Just so you know,Front chunk and rear chunks are the same.If you need seals in the center section try to find some off roader type guys cause usually they will buy an entire truck,take 2 axles off and scrap the remains.Some times you can get a Rear axle pretty cheap and all you gotta do to replace the center section is pull the axles,unbolt the drive shafts and unbolt the center section.It will pull straight up and out....Might wanna get a buddy...or two...they are heavy.On a rear you don't even have to remove the tires or jack the truck up.Just chock the wheels since the parking brake don't work to stop the truck with the drive shaft out.I know here in bama the off roader boys usually scrap both rears and use 2 front axles.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Your truck looks good in those pics, and I'd guess that you got it at a reasonable price, too. Like Joe says, lots of folks here have stuff laying around that might help you. And assuming your bearings and gears aren't damaged, you'll probably just end up needing a new axle vent, a few seals, some grease and oil, and a tube of silicone form-a-gasket... nothing expensive or hard to find.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
The real key to any combat recovery is to keep the thing lubed. If it is pouring out do what you can to stop it fill it up and go. Class III leaks deadline a vehicle but if you have to get it home circle X it and go for it you are the commander of this truck now.

Opie

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
Class III leaks deadline a vehicle but if you have to get it home circle X it and go for it you are the commander of this truck now.
David, I'm not familiar with the "circle X it" phrase. Can you elaborate? (Oh, and have some kimchi :shock: for me!)

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
When a Technical Inspection(TI) is done by a unit mechanic after the operator lets them know from Preventive Maintenance Checks and Services (PMCS) that there is a problem with the vehicle the mechanic will do up an inspection form 5988E (formerly known as a 2404) the mechanic will write down the fault and asses the vehicle as being mission capable or non mission capable based on specific mechanical parameters. As an example, the truck is leaking fluid so that a continuous flow of drips is observable, this would deadline the truck and the mechanic puts an X on the form to indicate the fault in the inspection that makes the truck deadlined. If mission essential such as in Combat or other high priority missions, the Commander will make a risk assesment and if he or she decides that the truck will be needed in the present condition then the commander circles the X on the form and the mechanic releases the vehicle to the operator. I always tasked my mechanics to give the operator specific guidance on what to do to keep the vehicle operational with the circle X fault. In this case of his trying to get the truck home he owns it, it is not dry and not leaking so badly that it will run dry, he circle X's the fault and gets it home to his shop with tools and workspace where the fault can be fixed.

Sorry this was a long explaination but that is what it is.

By the way I have had a lot of Kimchi and I like it hot hot hot

jasonjc

that was good. I was tring to word it myself and gave up , then seen you had it taken care of. It's been a long time since I seen a 2404 did know they were gone. I used 1,000's of 2404's. Working on helicopter anything you did you had to wirte it up. Every bolt , nut, hose ,part had to have its own wirte up. A "red X" then you had to wirte up putting it back on. Then you had to have an inspetor check your work and stamp over the "red X'. An engine chage would be 2-3 pages long :(

joey

Just got the truck home. The trailer would not fit in dump truck so had to be left behind for now. Gonna be a long day for my brother in law its 2 am hes gotta be at work at 7am. Night all and thanks for all the help. Ill post pics tomorrow

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks