• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got My First Deuce!!!

ProgDrummer79

I've been wanting one for a long time, and have been lurking these pages almost everyday, 1/2 of it was to learn more about them, but the rest was just to drool. Finally bought my first one and thankfully, made a 5 hour drive home with it with no issues. I was actually surprised, that I was able to maintain about 62 mph on most of the flat roads, and on the steep mountains I was able to maintain about 52 mph.

I'll post some pics when the weather clears up some. I had a blast driving this home yesterday!

I was hoping to find any excuse to drive it around a little today, but it's been snowing/raining off and on. For one, the canvas top and the door windows don't have a very good fit. the top's zip-up window has the stitching coming apart (need to find some string and yarn, possibly some type of sealant, as it looks like just the threads broke loose), and it almost looks like the door windows aren't big enough for the frame. I looked at another deuce a while ago, and it had the same issue, with the rear side of the window (furthest from the windshield) has 1/2 to 3/4" gap, so I assume this was an issue for many of these throughout the years.

The main reason for not driving it today, is that I can't figure out how to work the wipers. I tried to leaf through a couple of the TM's, but it may just be that they don't work. There's a knob on the left side of the dash below the light switch. Looking at the manual, it seems like all you should have to do is turn that clockwise, and the wipers turn on. When I got the truck, that knob is already turn all the way clockwise, and if I turn it the other way, I can hear air escaping. There looks like a red button or something on the wiper motor, but kind of looks like it's stuck pushed in. I haven't tried to push it in with anything aside from the tip of my fingernail. anyone have any ideas??? I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow.

dmetalmiki

Congragulations on getting your truck, and getting it safely home. The wipers have that red button to push in and they then re start. Those wipers do get stuck however, especially if they have been lubricated with light oil. With the air control turned all the way to the left (on) they should go like crazy!. try assisting them by moving the manual operating lever on the front of the assembly. If the resist your effortsto start, but can can be turned by hand (with the air off) they are in need of servicing or replacing.

Atomic

Congratulations. Sounds like they may need to be torn apart and oiled/cleaned. An issue with mine was a bent connecting arm. It was depressed in the center of the arm. I bent it back and now it works fine. Now comes the fun part of tearing apart the axles and greasing bearings and checking fluids. Have fun with it!

Jeepsinker

You have the plastic wiper motors, they suck. Try and find some of the metal wiper motors and you'll be good to go. The metal motors are rebuildable, the plastic ones aren't.
Ive been daily driving mine for over a year now and had no major issues until today. Found my lower tank on my radiator leaking so I have to pull it and solder it up.

tco3129

Got metal ones in mine. Work great. One was faster than the other so I put a small needle valve in the line of the fastest. Adjust as needed.

Jeepsinker

No needle valve needed really. All you have to do is make sure to have the hoses coming from the air supply "T" to the motors the same length. The motor supplied by the shorter length of hose will always run faster.

ProgDrummer79

Thanks for the info guys! You were right, all i had to do was open that knob pretty far and try to work them manually. Scared the crap out of me when the one one finally took off, I've never seen a wiper go so fast! Also, it seem like there is some resistance in the passenger side motor (plastic); it's gotta be wide open for it to move, and goes way slower then the other. When working it manually it feels a little tougher than the driver side. At least I know it works.

Actually I was pretty surprised how good the heat works in this truck! I guess since I read so many horror stories I just assumed it would have been worse.

mikey

Congrats on getting your first deuce and on getting the wipers working. However, before you head out into the snow, do you have stock NDT tires? If so, you may want to reconsider. They are horrible in snow and ice unless you've got chains. Even if you don't have NDT's remember that you need a whole lot more stopping room than you're used to, so be careful!

Mikey

ageregunner

Congratulations from a fellow PA duece owner. Window fit is not really great on my truck, and to my knowledge that is the nature of the beast. I am down in the Lehigh Valley, perhaps we will bump into each other at nearby events. I used to belong to a camp up in Tioga, so I know your area well.

ProgDrummer79

photo (19).jpg
Thanks for the info guys! Yes, truck has NDT's. I know they are crap in the snow - they don't even look like they would do well. I plan on singling the tires soon. I did take the truck out, but waited for the snow to melt off the roads. Hopefully the pic uploads ok, I've never had to do it before.

Attachments

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Darned nice looking Deuce looks to be a pretty darned nice looking Rig! Word of CAUTION 62 MPH is pushing things on a Deuce and many people will dissagree with me BUT with that said I try real hard NOT to exceed 2200 RPM with the LDT engines, great motors and if PMs are kept up with will run darned near forever, they dont like RPMs!!!!
Good luck
Karl

michael757767

Congrats! I just got mine home from the truck shop last Friday for servicing. It was a 60 mile drive and never missed a gear! I have the same problem w one wiper motor, replacing it. Its worn out and needs to be "retired"! I'm finding new things every day, but like you am thankful and proud to be an owner.......As a vet from long ago, it's cool that so many people come over to see her, and tell stories from their bumpy rides in the back!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks