• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got my first!!!

Ford Mechanic

1967 AMG M35A2
I bought this one from High Point NC. this weekend. Runs great, seems to be in good shape, just a couple of minor oil leaks. All the plates on the dash are there and in great shape. Engine tag shows last rebuild was in 1988.

The list so far before I start running it alot:

Pull all drums, reseal hubs and rebuild wheel cylinders if needed

New boots on front axle.

Rebuild master cylinder and check linkage adjustment, the pedals low, soft, and seems to have slight leak out of the end.

Lube air pack

Bypass FDC

Then all filters, oil and fuel changed.

Replace return lines, and check manifold heater for operation

And figure out what that mystery swith on the right hand side of the dash is for. SOLVED Convoy Lights

I do have 2 quick questions:

I know the spec for air pressure with the original size tires were 50 psi for road driving, is 50 psi fine for running on the road with the 395's?

The last pic is of my rear lugs, is that the correct lugnuts for running it this way or is it supposed to be done differently?

I'm having difficulty finding info in the TM's, any tips on how to find what your looking for in them? Or do you just do like I have been and flip though all of them until you find it?

Attachments

Last edited:

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't run 50 psi in your tires. Mine has 395's also, and I run 35 psi in the front and 30 psi in the back. The tire shop who put mine on, had them at 60 psi and it was so squirmish and would wander all over the road. Remeber the 9.00x20 tires are only 8 ply and the 395's are 14 ply. I just played with the pressures until I found the settings that I use work the best. In the sand I set the front at 13 psi and the rear between 5-7 psi. As for the lugs, that is the same way that I did mine on both my duece and five ton; when I singled both of them out. As for being correct, my friend always changes out to a different lug nut cause he said he has broken quite a few of the stock ones set up like yous. He hauls alot of weight with his trucks though, and the most either of mine pull is a boat or camper.

scopionf89

Welcom to the club next your going to be wanting a cucv, jeep, gama goat ect. That is a very nice looking truck looking at the interor you may want to repaint it after you get the macanical stuff done. I am just running stock 9.00-20 on my truck the rears are set to 65 stears at 70. I have driven it this way will full loads on and off road with no problems.

Do post up i am curous to see what that other swich on your dash dose as well. It might have someing to do with a deep water fording kit. In the TM it says that if you have a deep water fording kit your sapozed to presureize your transmision mabe thats what that extra swich dose.

I

steelandcanvas

I noticed a few things while perusing the photos. The OP indicates the vehicle is a '67. Correct me if I'm wrong, but did Deuces have springer seats as far back as '67? Also noticed was the later year style parking break lever, and the exhaust stack, instead of dumping out between the duals. I realize these items could have been changed/replaced, but am I incorrect in my thinking? I guess I am curious what year (ballpark) some of the changes were made. Nice truck Ford Mech, what are your plans for a paint scheme?

Ford Mechanic

Thanks guy's,
It's titled to be a 67 AMG, and I have had others question about the same things that ya'll have pointed out. I've got no idea how to tell what it really is, just happy to have one! The data plate that should have the year and make on it has been painted over in just that place. It also has the air shift transfer, from what I had seen I thought it should have had the auto sprag? I prefered the air shift, so good for me I guess.

I found out yesterday what the mystery switch was for thanks to this site. It was for convoy lights! I had taken some really good notes the day before and then happened to stumble upon someone's write up about the wiring and it was dead on.

Eventually I plan on painting it the desert tan color. But that will be a little while.

Last edited:

scopionf89

I think most of the M35 type trucks when they were over halled in the late 80's threw the 90's must have been upgraded to air shift. I have look at every m35 that i see on the side of the road thats for sale. I have been to a goverment action lot a that had 20+ trucks up for grabs and every one of them had air shift transfer cases. The only m35 truks that I have seen with the sprag in them were surplused in the 60's- early 80's. They were all on farms being used to hall potatos and still in good working order. Based on this I think that your more likly to fined a truck with the air shift front axel than the sprag. I was also told that at some point m35 had 4 speed transmisions I was told this by a former platoon SGT. I have never actuly seen a m35 with any thing other than a 5 speed.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shop Van I got from GL in 2008 has no turbo and sprag TC, I've seen two other trucks (Both M35's) that had no turbo, and only one of them had an air shift (both were sold in the late 90's per CARNAC). So they do exist.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is a 1965 and was overhauled in 1989 and has a sprag, turbo, non springer seat, and old style brake handle. The sprag is coming out soon and I am putting in an airshift.

tk748462

Nice truck!!

I bought mine last November and I still love it as much today. I thought off-roading and mudding was fun in a jeep, my world of enjoyment changed the first time I took my Duece out. Went through crap my jeep could only dream of getting through. They are tuff and highly destructive! A little bumpy,but it's so much FUN!!! :beer: