• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got my M1008 home

hovenga67

I'm new here. I recently got a m1008 from the Camp Ripley Mn. It was far enough away I couldn't go look at it before hand. Well the body is great other than a fork lift dent in the box and one quarter size rust hole in the cab corner. The bad missing t case which was not said in the auction, Radiator that was in the bed in pictures is gone, and a bunch of little **** is missing off the engine. I really wanted to get is driveable for now and later put a different engine like a cummins or maybe a big block. But now I don't know. I don't want to put a bunch of money into an engine and tranny I am not keeping. What could I get a t case out of that will bolt right in? Also the gauge cluster is missing will a civilian one work? I will get some pics up this weekend.
Brent

Cucvnut

just get a Np208 from any 85 to 88 check 4x4 or a np241 will work also. as for the guages yes a civi one will work. check out ebay lots of cucv parts on there right now.

raiburn

I would definately not put any money into that motor. I only had to buy 2 batterys, a starter, and a fuel filter assembly, and that was alot of money! So, now i have a very sluggish, out-dated set-up. I should have yanked it from jump street. Now that i have the money in it, i feel somewhat committed to it... a BBC would be mighty fine, and with an overdrive tranny/205 set-up, would blow my mind!

12vctd

What do you plan on using the truck for? the 6.2 is no power house thats for sure. But depending on your use of the truck it might fit the bill just nicely. They get great economy and they can be modded to preform better thou it still wont be a powerhouse. Theres turbo kits, and a marine injector for the 6.5, and pump tweaks that can be done. If you like to go offroad the tq curve is really nice, plus being able to run at any angle is also very nice. As far as repowering the truck well theres a ton of options, 350, 454, even seen them repowered with vortec 350's and the newer LS series motors. And then theres diesel options which are vast aslo 4bt and 6bt cummins, duramax, even the international motors. I have also seen one powered by a detroit 4-53t and a 6v53

hovenga67

My plan is for this to be my everyday truck. I plan on pulling a car trailer. I am thinking of throwing a 350 olds deseil in it for now till I get time to build a cummins or big block. And by big block I mean olds 455. I already have the 350 and it runs good so it won't cost me much to put it in.

12vctd

well I would take a 6.2 over the olds 350 but thats just my opinion. If your wanting a big block, dont over look the caddy 472/500 they are lighter than a 455 and produce more tq. But if your pulling a trailer often I really would have to suggest a diesel. There are alot of crate 6.5s for sale on ebay right now pretty cheap, I bet you could get the old girl up and running. If you need a NP208 transfer case let me know I have a bunch you can have one for whatever shipping would be. and what exactly is missing from the engine, you might not need as much as you think to get her up and running again

Last edited:

Ken_86gt

I would see if the current motor runs before putting in a 350 diesel. Your 6.2 should be more reliable. Other than the alternator I can't see what is missing. Give it a shot of starting fluid and see if it runs. You can run it for 15 or more seconds without hurting the engine even with the cooling system apart.

hovenga67

The coolant crossover is missing, both alternators are apart, fuel filter, maybe some wiring, radiator, and probably a few more things I can't think of now. I might try and get it running without buying a bunch of stuff and if its ok I will fix it. If not I will put the olds in it to get through the winter. 12vctd if you are serious I would really appreciate it. PM me so we can set something up. I really need to get this truck moving.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You better use a mil instrument cluster if you are running with the 24 volt setup, the two alternator idiot lights have to function for the alts to charge.

You have an actual late 1970's Olds 350 diesel??? That belongs in the GM museum of shame . . . along with the aluminum bore Vega engine, etc etc

12vctd

Theres someone with screen name milkman357(i belive) who also lives in Ia he jst bought a 6.2 for 150 dollars. You would be surprised how many parts you probably could round up cheaply. He might have some left over parts. but for the transfer case sure you can have one a np208 is roughtly 79lbs, and I would have to put it on a small crate so look for shipping quotes for about 100lbs from zip 41031 to your zip. And jst let me know if you want a 208 with a slip yoke for the chevy or fixed yoke from a dodge, I have plenty of both.

12vctd

Yeah thats why i wanted you to check shipping, yellow freight, and a few others come out to the shop so you might want to also check them. Also dont over look craigslist, you can find quiet a few finds on there. For instance I just bought a dana 60 front and 14 bolt rear from a 85 1ton truck the guy was parting out on craigslist. He listed it as a 3/4 ton as he had no idea about the parts, he asked me for 125 dollars for each axle, I glady paid him and loaded them and moved out smiling the whole time. with alittle paitence and some nights at teh keyboard I have sourced all kinds of really good deals. Also theres uship you might find someone coming thru i64 who would have a small spot for a 208 for next to nothing.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can light that 6.2 with very little of anything. Even if the truck is FUBARed, pipe 12V to the plug on the IP (red/pink wire) and jump across the solenoid on the starter and it will turn over. Make sure you have a fuel supply and ground the GP relay and you can run it.