• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got some 11.00 x 20s

Mark2X2

Safe way to air up split rim.

$300 is well worth the 3 days of very hard labor and possible chance of killing yourself when a split ring comes off and goes flying.

Here is a tip for not getting killed or maimed from a split ring.
Roll tire to a safe location, use a lock on air chuck, set an air regulator to desired pressure, walk a way.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just dropped it off at Parkhouse Tire is sunny San Diego. A nice 65 mile drive. I'll pick it up sometime Tuesday. Trip home should be a little farther away from recline at 55.

toddm

Here is a picture of my truck with six 11.00-20's. All seven of my tires were on 5 ton wheels, so I dismounted them and then had to dismount the originals from my truck and then mount the new G177's on my existing wheels. I did two per day, remembering I had broken my leg 8 months before. (it was still sore) Not a bad job at all since I had done it many times before.

Attachments

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not that I CAN'T do the tires myself - I've done plenty in my time in the Navy - lock ring, demountable flange, split rim, solid rim, etc. I'm not working at a facility right now that has the tools (and cage) and I don't own the correct tools. I suppose I could have bought the tools and done it myself and saved a 100 bucks or so. Still, 20 tear downs and 10 build ups is a lot of work and I feel my time is worth more than 100 bucks. This way I got a nice drive down to sunny San Diego and I left it at a shop that does great work. I trust them. Tommorrow I'll pick it up, use it as an excuse to bail early on work and get a nice drive home. The most I'll have to do is send the boy out to touch up the paint on the rims.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a couple quick pics with the bigger tires. Doesn't look much different to me. Rides and drives about the same. Speedo reads about 5 MPH lite as per my iPhone Speedo app. Can cruise at 55 at around 2200 or 2300ish now.

Blew a front axle seal AGAIN on the way home. Went to take it apart and discovered the tire shop had used the BIG GUN to tighten everything down. Had to use the air from my big compressor to get them off. They didn't put the best rubber up front so after the seal and boot is repaired we will loosen all the lugs and torque to spec so I can get them off when I'm on the road.

Still, even with that hassle it was worth every cent I paid. They put their junior guy on it and he got a work out. The 11.00 x 20s were all loaded in the bed and had to be unloaded, broken down and the rims reloaded. Then the truck had to be jacked and all the 9.00 x 20s broken down with the tires getting loaded in the bed. Then they built ten tire/wheel assemblies back up and installed on the truck. They were careful enough not to screw up a tube.

Yeah, I could have done it myself, but honestly - I just didn't feel like it. Gave the kid a good tip when I rolled out. They all loved the truck. I forgot some expensive tools were in the cab and nothing was touched. Very trustworthy place.

Manger did tell me no more big jobs at that price. :)

Attachments

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tire shop has the lugs so tight I have only been able to get two wheels off. I'm going to buy a 1" drive gun, remove the outer duals and then loosen the inners one at a time. Then I'll torque to spec. My 1/2" drive gun will be able to remove them on the road if I get a flat. I also need to put the best tires up front.

Hammer

I would have done it myself.
BUT, you got a good deal! That was a LOT of work they had to do.

Btw, Harbor Freight has the 1" impact guns for fairly cheap. Get the twin hammer one. Trust me, it is worth the slight increase in price. And they break loose just about anything. I have used mine a LOT now.
Honestly, once you get a 1" impact, the toughest job is lifting it! After that, it does all the rest of the work.
Oh yeah, get the 1/2" hose, or bigger. It makes a big difference.

Heavysteven

Dug,
I would have done the same thing. That was an excellent price and I think you made a wise decision. I paid $40 to replace a tube on one of my wheels in Atlanta. $300/20 wheels = $15 each

Barneyszoo

Good post bro, hope they work out for you. 53s are working great on the 5 ton. When we gonna do that seal, can't do it this tuesday, gotta go out and work on a wild sheep drinker station in the Mojave. I don't have to haul water this time though.

zout

CLosing up the shop early today - and will be working on replacing 12 - 11x20's (no I do not have training wheels on the 109 - other two go to the 105).

Glad it is cooled off here around the Atlanta area instead of the blistering heat when I replaced the 10 tires with 12x20's on Dinger65's truck.

After doing Dinger's truck it proves I am outta my mind to want to do mine aua myself.