• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got the M109A3 home.......

Hi everyone:

As I have indicated in other posts, I picked up the M109 from Pineville on Thursday, Sept. 15. The 109 will be for my brother, and he plans to turn it into a camper.

We got there around 10:30 in the morning to find several people working on their Deuces to get them home. I apologize for not remembering everyone's names, but the first guy we met was Sailor, from Columbia, LA. He says he mostly just lurks here. Nice guy, he had two Deuces loaded on his low-boy and was preparing to head back home. I apologize for not remembering the name of the gentleman with him.

Then we met three guys from Lafayette (Jimmy and two others) who were picking up a Deuce and doing some prep work on another (the owner was still waiting on his EUC).

My brother and I started working on the 109, and thanks to the guys from Lafayette, we diagnosed a bad fuel pump. I need to mention that we all helped each other a bit, some with knowledge, some with simple things like water for the radiator.

Since my brother and I had figured we'd have to tow the 109 anyway, we hooked it up and started on wiring the taillights. While we did that, Sailor and his friend took off. After a couple of hours, the Lafayette guys got the one Deuce running and managed to get the other one (the one waiting on the EUC) cranked also. Looks like it will be ready to go once the EUC clears.

In the meantime, a gentleman from Hattiesburg, MS, named Harold, arrived to pick up a scrap Deuce. He offered parts to anyone who wanted them, so we got the fuel pump on that one.

After we got home, we had to wait until Saturday to change the pump. After we got it in, it only took a slight amount of bleeding the primary and secondary fuel filters and Voila! she cranked right up!

Here's a pic of how it looked when we arrived back home from the recovery. I am hoping to post video in the next couple days of her running.

LC

Attachments

3dAngus

That's a nice looking 109. I wish mine was camo.

Did you have any trouble towing it with the deuce? What is the top speed you can go when towing?

Hi Dell:

No problems towing with my Deuce other than slow speed (30-35mph)going up a couple of bridges. On level ground, it could pull 45-50 fairly easily. (Took a while to get up to that speed, though...LOL) Most of the way I just stayed at 45.

The strange thing about this 109 is that other than the rot under the rear door threshold, there's hardly anything wrong with it. A lot of the paint on the box is peeling off, but I have not yet seen any additional cancerous rust anywhere.

Has a C-turbo, so it's a little quieter than my D-turbo Deuce. Gonna try to get some video of it moving. We do know it goes backwards and forwards under its own power, but we need to run it through all the gears to see if anything is a problem there. It's been raining all day here, and supposed to rain tomorrow. Might not get to it til mid-week.

Thanks for the kind words.

LC

spartan_185

Hi everyone:

As I have indicated in other posts, I picked up the M109 from Pineville on Thursday, Sept. 15. The 109 will be for my brother, and he plans to turn it into a camper.

We got there around 10:30 in the morning to find several people working on their Deuces to get them home. I apologize for not remembering everyone's names, but the first guy we met was Sailor, from Columbia, LA. He says he mostly just lurks here. Nice guy, he had two Deuces loaded on his low-boy and was preparing to head back home. I apologize for not remembering the name of the gentleman with him.

Then we met three guys from Lafayette (Jimmy and two others) who were picking up a Deuce and doing some prep work on another (the owner was still waiting on his EUC).

My brother and I started working on the 109, and thanks to the guys from Lafayette, we diagnosed a bad fuel pump. I need to mention that we all helped each other a bit, some with knowledge, some with simple things like water for the radiator.

Since my brother and I had figured we'd have to tow the 109 anyway, we hooked it up and started on wiring the taillights. While we did that, Sailor and his friend took off. After a couple of hours, the Lafayette guys got the one Deuce running and managed to get the other one (the one waiting on the EUC) cranked also. Looks like it will be ready to go once the EUC clears.

In the meantime, a gentleman from Hattiesburg, MS, named Harold, arrived to pick up a scrap Deuce. He offered parts to anyone who wanted them, so we got the fuel pump on that one.

After we got home, we had to wait until Saturday to change the pump. After we got it in, it only took a slight amount of bleeding the primary and secondary fuel filters and Voila! she cranked right up!

Here's a pic of how it looked when we arrived back home from the recovery. I am hoping to post video in the next couple days of her running.

LC
Nice truck. I love my M109. They make pretty good rolling storage sheds if you ever need the space. That's what mine's doing right now until I get around to a camper conversion.

3dAngus

Thanks for the education LC. I may be doing the same thing in two weeks so it is always nice to know (about) what to expect, and you sharing your driving experiences with me will give me a helpiing hand in my observations of what is 'normal' and what is not.

Mine has a hardtop which is a rusty piece of iron. I haven't looked at it well, but hope it comes off without to much trouble. Surely it would not be welded on (Ugggghhhh).

I might replace with a convetible if the rust goes thoough. I do know it is a pretty heavily flaked front hardtop, but have not looked closely, as I had my wife and she is more worried about the inside, knowing the outside is "my job". It is built as a camper with shower, and she's happy because she said the shower would clean up real nicely. Joyce is like a white tornado with her cleaning agents, and will make that shower and sink look like new.

It's hard to find a M109 without some serious rust issues. Congratulations again on the find. So many uses for a deuce with a box. Hey, if I ever get in trouble, I have a doghouse. Never thought about that!!!

I just might be the only person in the neighborhood who can drive my doghouse to the local store to pick up a six pack and a steak.

91W350

That is my experience as well. I normally do not run over 2200 or about 45 mph. My deuces will pull a second.deuce along pretty comfortably at 2100 or 2200 rpm. I have never found out where the governor shuts mine down.. Glen

zout

post some pics of how the interior looks before ya get started hacking on her. Your going to have some fun turning it into what you want - keep us posted on the progress.

Oh Oh - another 109 camper:jumpin:

Thanks for the education LC. I may be doing the same thing in two weeks so it is always nice to know (about) what to expect, and you sharing your driving experiences with me will give me a helpiing hand in my observations of what is 'normal' and what is not.

Mine has a hardtop which is a rusty piece of iron. I haven't looked at it well, but hope it comes off without to much trouble. Surely it would not be welded on (Ugggghhhh).

I might replace with a convetible if the rust goes thoough. I do know it is a pretty heavily flaked front hardtop, but have not looked closely, as I had my wife and she is more worried about the inside, knowing the outside is "my job". It is built as a camper with shower, and she's happy because she said the shower would clean up real nicely. Joyce is like a white tornado with her cleaning agents, and will make that shower and sink look like new.

It's hard to find a M109 without some serious rust issues. Congratulations again on the find. So many uses for a deuce with a box. Hey, if I ever get in trouble, I have a doghouse. Never thought about that!!!

I just might be the only person in the neighborhood who can drive my doghouse to the local store to pick up a six pack and a steak.
LOL, that is a quotable line right there. rofl

LC

post some pics of how the interior looks before ya get started hacking on her. Your going to have some fun turning it into what you want - keep us posted on the progress.

Oh Oh - another 109 camper:jumpin:
Will definitely keep the camera close, Zout. Work is going to start soon. I'm almost as excited about my brother's M109 as he is.

LC

Looks like I figured it out. Didn't realize it was this easy.

LOL, notice the missing tire on the 105 trailer. We took it off to have an extra spare for recovering the 109.

The back yard is so full of skeeters right now that you can't work back there for very long. I hope the cool weather coming this weekend knocks them down a bit.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAiNeNt0bYA[/media]LC

The tachometer has not been registering so we pulled the cable. The gauge end was broken, so a new one has been ordered. We've been concentrating on the engine for now, making sure things are running properly. Going to change the fuel filters this weekend, the engine seems a bit sluggish.

Managed to get a few pictures today of the interior of the box. As I indicated, the rust on the rear door threshold is the main problem. The interior will need a thorough cleaning and repainting. The flooring is coming loose, but the supports underneath do not appear to be in too bad shape. The plan is to eventually pull the wood up and replace with plywood, but we need to plan the layout of the box for a camping setup.

Comments or suggestions are welcome.

LC

Attachments

Last edited:

3dAngus

That camera has a fantastic mic. You can hear that 109 out on the hwy ever bit as good as it was right next you. It sounds great. My flooring is covered with vinyl. I don't think I want to tackle it. I'm probably just going to use it as a rough camper. My next one might be a little more "pretty".

I want to add a coffee pot, microwave, and refridgerator. Also get the roof air fixed. Make sure all electrical works well, both 28vdc and 120vac circuits. I went to the base and started some work on it, and some here at home with research of the electrical circuits and instrument panel wiring. Painted the panel. Lots t do, but it seems like fun to me.

I wish mine sounded like yours. I should be able to pick mine up in about ten days. Did you know the M109A4s do not need a EUC, but the M109A3's do. Stranger things have happened, but sure seems odd to me.

Keep us informed of your progress. It makes it fun for us all. We like to join in from afar. Enjoy!

That camera has a fantastic mic. You can hear that 109 out on the hwy ever bit as good as it was right next you. It sounds great. My flooring is covered with vinyl. I don't think I want to tackle it. I'm probably just going to use it as a rough camper. My next one might be a little more "pretty".

I want to add a coffee pot, microwave, and refridgerator. Also get the roof air fixed. Make sure all electrical works well, both 28vdc and 120vac circuits. I went to the base and started some work on it, and some here at home with research of the electrical circuits and instrument panel wiring. Painted the panel. Lots t do, but it seems like fun to me.

I wish mine sounded like yours. I should be able to pick mine up in about ten days. Did you know the M109A4s do not need a EUC, but the M109A3's do. Stranger things have happened, but sure seems odd to me.

Keep us informed of your progress. It makes it fun for us all. We like to join in from afar. Enjoy!
Dell:

If this one had a decent floor, I'd probably just cover it with something and call it good, but the boards are coming undone. And the threshold is going to take some decent work, not to mention cleaning and painting the inside of the box.

My brother and I do a fair amount of back country truck and tent camping, we're not real big on going to campgrounds and parking next to a bunch of people. Just doesn't seem like "real" camping to me. This thing will allow us to get out in the boonies and have a few creature comforts. We have access to a bit of property my Dad and his sisters owned, which is hard to get to. The M109 should make it easier.

The only thing we're not sure of is how much of a bathroom / shower this thing needs. I guess you need one if you're going to bring a wife / GF though. Heck, I could camp on the floor of this thing if I have my air mattress.

I was surprised by the mic too, it's just a small digital camera with the ability to take some small videos.

What does yours sound like? I kinda like the deep rumble of this one, it's different from the turbo whine on my Deuce.

LC

3dAngus

I'm pretty much shadowing you, just bought it and no EUC clearance yet, so I haven't driven it. Should pick it up in the next ten days. Once I get it, I'll see if I can get some videos of it moving. Big difference in sitting still and running and on the move. It does start and move, so batteries and driveshaft is OK, but I didn't move it but two feet, if that. Not suppossed to move them off the drip pan at Robins. I'll let you know. Good luck.

GL has been selling camping potties lately. If not for the large multi pallet lots, I would have bought some of those and just thrown one inside for crude camping. I could hang a shower curtain around it for the wife. My shower and sink does not have a gray water tank. It just runs on the ground away from the M109A3. It does have a water holding tank underneath behind the driver. I guess a tool box would go there normally, but not sure on a M109. I thought one of those Harbor Freight or Tractor Supply 15-30 gallon sprayers would be the best and cheapest way to go for water storage and delivery. I have one I used to spray round up on the fenceline at the farm and it will put out enough water for a crude shower, and is fully self contained and ready to go. Just needs painting. Pumps run on 12vdc and are already wired in. My shower is directly over the water tank. Sink is on the opposite side, or, right side in back when you walk in the back. It seems to work but I have a hose leak when I turn on the water pump using the 12vdc switch. It is different and special from the 24vdc switch and I'm not sure you would have one in your van, like you do the 24vdc switch.

insurgent

One important safety thing to watch for is the floor of the M109. If you aren't sure the floor is in good shape be very careful the first time you walk on it. I nearly fell through the floor in mine, just inside the entrance. The boards were in bad shape, as was the sheet metal just underneath. It's only about one foot square, but it could have been a nasty fall.

--insurgent

Well, it's been a while but we have finally decided to start working on the interior of the box and get it in camper mode. The truck has been running pretty good, just needs a few things tweaked, like brake lights. Also, I had taken the fuel tank off to fix a pinhole, put some JB Weld on it and coated the interior with the red stuff. But it still seems to have a slight leak. May just have to take it to a radiator shop.

Anyway, we pressure washed the inside today and although it is hard to see, the interior is definitely cleaner! The interior paint is kind of a pea green, and was not prepped very well. Most of it is coming off with the pressure washer, although some spots might need a bit of paint stripper. Underneath is a darker green coat. We will have to do some sanding / wire wheeling on some of the sheet metal to get rid of surface rust.

We'll probably try to get the walls cleaned up first, then we will deal with the threshold. Gonna have to get a piece of channel iron, but that shouldn't be too hard, there is a Metal Mart not too far from here.

Once that is done, we will paint the walls, probably in an off-white, then start on the flooring.

Will post pics in just a bit.

Couple questions, would it save much weight by taking the sheet metal off the walls and using some type of wood paneling? Also, if we decide to keep the sheet metal walls, would it be a good idea to paint with Killz before the first coat?

LC

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks