• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got up close and personal with an MK36 wrecker tonight....

Low-Tech-Redneck

Brand new too, built in 1/06, and only has 27 hours on her, the seats in the cab still had that "new car" smell. Whaddaya think?

Found these in storage compartments under the seats, joystick units for working the boom controls.

The heart of the beast, a brand-new Caterpillar C12 engine

Front winch and crash bumper

Check it out, fully independent front and rear suspention, bet this handles a lot smoother than the solid axles on the deuces....

Walt's hand there gives you an idea how big that block and hook are.

Air intake and exhaust pipes and filters, deep water fording would be no problem as long as you kept it below the roofline :D

Crane boom and spare tire

All the storage space you could want

The back end is just loaded with goodies, the yellow plug on the left is the plug on the end of a reel of cable for a 120V generator, the one on the right supplies compressed air, veteran MV truck folks will recognize the composite lights as the same kind from the M35's, as well as the trailer air gladhands.

Drivers side crane / outrigger controls, battery box and fuel tank

This baby is loaded, it's got a push-button automatic tranny and a full range of cab climate controls,

Sharp-eyed folks will notice the rifle holder on the driver's side door, and those rubber seals on the doors not only make the ride a lot quiter, but also provide NBC protection.

And CTIS, with pre-programed hot button settings for loads of over 2 tons, under 2 tons, no load, cross-country or highway settings

Low-Tech-Redneck

Looks are free, if you know the right people :D It's on loan to the University from the USMC for testing purposes, and I knew someone who could get us into the garage. As for what it's sticker price was, we can only guess it was darn expensive considering all the bells and whistles on it.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Too bad it's an automatic.........I like my stuff manual.....

But still, a beautiful and mighty impressive machine :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: wow!

Know who manufactured it? The fuel tank and switches look almost like Navistar/International or maybe Westen Star. It's a great looking truck.

JDToumanian

Working on that Cat engine doesn't look like fun... It's pretty well packed in there. I can see the TM now:

4-3 FUEL INJECTOR ASSEMBLY REMOVAL AND REPLACEMENT

PERSONNEL : 3

EQUIPMENT CONDITION : TRUCK PARKED, HANDBRAKE SET, ENGINE REMOVED.
(TM-2320-209-12-1)

Jon

Low-Tech-Redneck

Actualy, it's a bit decieving in that picture, but, it's not any more cramped in there than an M35, the big green angle-iron thing is mounted to the frame, and those eyelets on the top come up through the hood to serve as lifting points for loading and unloading the truck. I'm willing to bet the whole contraption unbolts for maintenence proceedures

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks