• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got wood?(Deuce hauling)

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dad's out of wood, so off I go to get some. Amish sawmill had bundles for 5 bucks. Bundles are 4-5 foot round, 10-12 foot long, and I thought about 1500 lbs. When I get home and the tractor is struggling to pick them up, I would guess at least 2500 lbs a bundle.

So this place is 150 miles away. Leave about noon, get home at 9. Thought I had enough straps, but wasn't happy with how the load was sitting. So instead of dropping wood all over the road and causing accidents, I spent 100 bucks at the farm store for some nice straps. Figured I needed the straps anyways.

Had 4 bundles on the truck and 3 on the trailer. About 18-20,000 lbs of wood for 35 bucks. Then a LONG drive home. Why is everyone staring at me!?!

A M108 makes a good trailer dumper.

Dennis

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Now that's the (Rizzo) way to unload a trailer!!!!!

:beer:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can get sawmill slabs (which is what's in the pictures) around here for the same price. They are a waste product from sawing lumber and all they charge you is the cost of having to fool with loading them out. They're great for barbequeing over a pit (they make good coals) but I don't like them for firewood very much. It makes alot of heat but it burns too fast so you have to constantly feed the stove.
On a side note, it's best to cut them all at once while they're still in the bundle but it looks like it's too late for that.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of the wood's pretty thin, but a decent amount of thicker stuff is hiding in there. Need to have one or two more bands on the wood so the bundles stay intact.

DD, truck has a dump on it.

Country, that blue truck is Spicergear's 2 1/2 ton with the cat engine. He has the 5 ton winch on the front. Truck now has a crane and shortened bed.

Gimpy, ended up using my uncle's trailer. Got my car trailer fixed and then noticed the tires were dryrotted. Tried to find some used tires Sat. morning with no luck

Dad still doesn't know just how much wood came home.

Dennis

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Stretch! Good call, good haul!

Not to hi-jack, but what is the history on the brick farmhouse? What year? Anything interesting? PM if you want.

D-Man

oifvet said:
Hey Stretch! Good call, good haul!

Not to hi-jack, but what is the history on the brick farmhouse? What year? Anything interesting? PM if you want.
Not to add to the hi-jack, but that is a really sweet farmhouse! More information???

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm kinda of surprised at the lack of yelling about the load. Maybe it's expected of me.

If or when I go after more wood I will be using my trailer, which has surge brakes. Also plan on adding some more bands to the bundles. Didn't lose any wood on the way home, so I must have done something right.

Very happy with the single's conversion. Easier turning, higher speed with the 11-20's, less tires to replace, and eaiser to get the drums off. Just a mod I've been trying to do for a while.

1874 farmhouse. It's what I spend my time and money on when not working on the MV's Love living in the country!

Here's a link to an old thread on it.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=5534

And a link to some pics of the place.

http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i104/mjenera/

Dennis

spicergear

mangus580 said:
Funny Mike-- :)
Hey Country, that's 10,100 lbs of Red Oak in that load. That's my Deuce truck right after I put the CAT V8 and front winch in. That's pre paint, rear winch, dropside, crane, etc. I put a Mack filter on the fender for the V8 swap...sorta 5 ton looking-

Here's another one:

Attachments