• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got wood?(Deuce hauling)

Opie

Someone (Spicergear?) at Rausch Creek told me of an easy option for unloading a on-dump bed deuce: a piece of sheet metal placed in the bed prior to loading, on arrival a chain is passed through a hole/holes in the sheet and attached to an immovable object, then the truck drives out from under the load.

SasquatchSanta

I also burn sawmill slabs. They burn fast but put out a lot of heat. Since I'm home all the time, having to stock the stove every 45 minutes during the day isn't a problem. There is a sawmill about four miles from where I live. I can get all the cedar and ash I can haul for $15.00.

There is a trick to hauling and processing slabs. I can't imagine the work involved in having to process a load of wood after it had been bumped and scattered. My trailer looks to be about the same as Stretch 44875s only my trailer doesn't have sides. Before loading a bundle of slabs I position 4 railroad cross ties on the floor of the trailer. Once I get the load home I unchain it and wrap two chains around each bundle and boom them tight. With the bundle setting on the crossties and secured in a tight bundle I can quickly cut then into 12" to 14" pieces with the chain saw. From there the cut pieces are tossed into an covered M105 trailer for storage and future use.

I've never hauled a bundle of slabs "on" my deuce. Being a clumbsy bald headed fat man I'd probably fall out of back of the truck while trying to cut up the bundle.