• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gov Planet HMMWV Refugee

sail78385

A couple of weeks ago, I purchased an M1101 trailer, and since then, things have escalated a bit. I decided I needed a Humvee as well. My only criteria were that it had to be clean, ideally a troop carrier, and I wanted to keep the initial investment as low as possible. I came close to buying a really nice M1123 in Miami but ultimately bid on another M1123 on GovPlanet—and I won!

There’s something exciting and mysterious about buying a vehicle directly from surplus, and I’m pretty pumped about it. I accomplished my goal, but with a catch—I bought a non-running unit. The odometer shows just 322 miles, and judging by the truck’s condition, I believe that’s accurate. However, the intake manifold is off, and the odds are against me, so I’m almost certain I’ll need to replace the engine.

Here’s where I’m torn: a replacement engine is expensive. On the other hand, swapping in an LS motor might not cost much more—maybe a few thousand dollars difference if I go for an LQ9 with the Humvee’s 4L80 transmission. I keep going back and forth on what to do. I don’t want to sink a ton of money into this project, but I’d love to have it road-ready by Christmas for some local parades.

Maybe someone out there has a good 6.5 NA engine they’d like to get rid of? Still waiting to pick up the truck—hopefully, I can get it in about a month and set it free!

Stay tuned!

m1123.jpgm11233.jpg

m11234.jpgm11235.jpgm11236.jpgm112311.jpgm11239.jpgm11231.jpg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cheapest option is to rebuild what you have. You might only have to sleeve a few cyl bores due to rust pitting. Bottom end should be ok. Nice clean truck you ended up with.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My vote is for anything but the Detroit :ROFLMAO:
Depending on what you want to do, if all you want is to cruise the back roads then a Detroit will do.
I would think a good pull out would be the cheapest given the cost of parts and machine work, not to mention not allot of folks have the equipment and or capable of doing a full rebuild.

You would of course include a quality IP rebuild and new injectors, that's $1200-1500, you can get a good running take out GEP for around $3000
The fact your engine is painted black (including IP) says it was likely a Melton rebuild so it is not surprising it is kaput.

DAMN NICE TRUCK!!!

Last edited:

Jinx

Buy me a Coke
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe someone out there has a good 6.5 NA engine they’d like to get rid of? Still waiting to pick up the truck—hopefully, I can get it in about a month and set it free!
More like 2 months to clear if it was a Marines truck. I just got a parts M1123 also with the intake manifold removed and that's how long it took.

sail78385

In route to a work project that was canceled due to the pending hurricane I detoured to the GovPlanet facility that has my truck. I asked if I could see it in person, even though I don’t have my release papers. They had no problem and took me to see it. Really nice folks there. Apparently my truck is a 2003 model and on the engine is a MTP decal. They let me put some tape over the open intake ports -some bad weather headed this way I figured that would be smart. Glad I got to check it out and learn a little more about their operation.

IMG_3337.jpegIMG_3336.jpegIMG_3334.jpegIMG_3332.jpeg

sail78385

While I was there I noticed that it looked like there was some green spray paint over some markings on the tailgate. Obviously there is a portion on the tailgate that says USMC and the registration number, but just above that there was something they painted Green paint over and Ive got no idea. Do y'all think some acetone will pull the green paint off good enough to tell? Or is there any other method I should give a shot when the time comes?

2668fffe-bec0-4b7f-a2e0-194b318bfec5.jpg

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
While I was there I noticed that it looked like there was some green spray paint over some markings on the tailgate. Obviously there is a portion on the tailgate that says USMC and the registration number, but just above that there was something they painted Green paint over and Ive got no idea. Do y'all think some acetone will pull the green paint off good enough to tell? Or is there any other method I should give a shot when the time comes?

View attachment 932216
Depending on how long since it was sprayed, acetone might work. Lightly sanding with a fine grit paper will pull off the overpaint. It won't be perfect but you could read it for sure.

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter

View attachment 932216
By accident, I found out that spraying Simple Green and then softly rubbing with a Scotch-Brite pad will remove spray paint over CARC. At least enough to read what’s underneath.